Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most tolerable winters?
Minneapolis, Minnesota 8 13.11%
Boston, Massachusetts 42 68.85%
Chicago, Illinois 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Only drawback is no skiing for almost 1,000 miles!)

You're wrong! There is skiing but it's on hills, but they are EVERYWHERE. Lutsen "Mountain" is up north near Lake Superior and it has a 1000' vertical, which is on par with what you'll find on the East Coast. A lot of U.S. Olympian skiers come out of the Twin Cities area because they have some of the best ski racing schools in the nation. I went to one of them and one of my teammates was Kaitlyn Richardson, who is currently an Olympian. It's pretty serious stuff here and although they are just hills and you are down before you know it, people still ski a LOT around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Only drawback is no skiing for almost 1,000 miles!)

You're wrong! There is skiing but it's on hills, but they are EVERYWHERE. Lutsen "Mountain" is up north near Lake Superior and it has a 1000' vertical, which is on par with what you'll find on the East Coast.....
Not to nitpick but the big east coast verticals are on par with some western mountains. Killington is over 3,000 ft which puts it just below Aspen, Breckenridge, and Park City and above Copper and Squaw Valley.
Most of the big drops in the east are in the 2,000 to 3,000 ft range. Stowe, Sugarbush, Smuggler's Notch etc. are all big hills. They are also within 3 to 5 hours of Boston, some within 2 hours.

http://verticalfeet.com/

Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM

33 posts, read 80,617 times
One good thing about Minneapolis in the winter time is the sun is out most of the time. That makes a huge difference. However, when we're talking about -20 below and blizzard and snow up to the top of your front door, well, that's anoter matter all together.

Boston is probably the most tolerable though, the Northeast doesn't get as cold as the midwest, typically.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Not to nitpick but the big east coast verticals are on par with some western mountains. Killington is over 3,000 ft which puts it just below Aspen, Breckenridge, and Park City and above Copper and Squaw Valley.
Most of the big drops in the east are in the 2,000 to 3,000 ft range. Stowe, Sugarbush, Smuggler's Notch etc. are all big hills. They are also within 3 to 5 hours of Boston, some within 2 hours.

VerticalFeet.com-Accurate Ski Resort Ranking with monthly updates
Really? I went to Snowshoe, WV and I thought the vertical was about 1000', but I could be wrong. My point was that there is decent skiing in the Upper Midwest in states like MN, WI, and MI and that you don't necessarily have to trek West or East to enjoy skiing, but most ski-lovers like me still love to go to the "real" mountains from time to time because obviously they are better! But there is skiing around here, even though it's small.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efilnikufesin View Post
One good thing about Minneapolis in the winter time is the sun is out most of the time. That makes a huge difference. However, when we're talking about -20 below and blizzard and snow up to the top of your front door, well, that's anoter matter all together.

Boston is probably the most tolerable though, the Northeast doesn't get as cold as the midwest, typically.
When you wake up on a winter day in Mpls and the sky is blue, you are guaranteed it'll be a very frigid day!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:42 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Definitely Boston. Great lakes winter's hit hard. East coasters get those tropical drifts.
Mpls is not a Great Lakes city. Its climate is continental.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
When you wake up on a winter day in Mpls and the sky is blue, you are guaranteed it'll be a very frigid day!
So true! I remember in the 90's when we broke some all-time cold records it could be clear blue sunny skies and it'd be SNOWING. It snowed because the air was so dry and cold that the moisture that was in the air condensed and turned into flakes, so the very air you were breathing was ice! Unreal!!!!!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Really? I went to Snowshoe, WV and I thought the vertical was about 1000', but I could be wrong. My point was that there is decent skiing in the Upper Midwest in states like MN, WI, and MI and that you don't necessarily have to trek West or East to enjoy skiing, but most ski-lovers like me still love to go to the "real" mountains from time to time because obviously they are better! But there is skiing around here, even though it's small.
Sorry, I was only referring to the Northeast. I've actually skied Michigan too. Ever hear of Boyne Highlands or Nubs Knob?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
I like winter, and spent winters in both Mpls and Chicago. I found Chicago very much more tolerable. The temps in Mpls were brutal - there's a reason the downtown is connected by skyways! It's funny, the building I worked in had outside thermometers in the elevators, but they didn't work when the temp was below zero (showed some wacky temp like 60 degrees). LOL

Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Sorry, I was only referring to the Northeast. I've actually skied Michigan too. Ever hear of Boyne Highlands or Nubs Knob?
No, but I hear the UP is a great place to ski! I want to go!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City