U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
1,346 posts, read 2,677,189 times
Reputation: 763

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So by that what about the other 11 Fed Offices

Philly has a Fed Office, A Federal District Court and one of the four US Mints plus a large port
Well, then logically speaking, Philadelphia could also become "a likely
or potential target" for destruction.

When you consider how many large cities there are in America, and
yet only 12 cities retain a crucial FEDERAL RESERVE BANK, as is the
case with both Cleveland and Philadelphia ... you're likely to become
a target.

You also reminded me that Cleveland also boasts a large U.S. District
Court ... adding even more fuel to this "friendly" argument.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM
 
4,675 posts, read 7,762,884 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Really? I bet you are not aware of the fact that Cleveland is home to one of our nations 12 FEDERAL RESERVE BANKS, is home to several large banks and other financial institutions ... the city is also an important port location and houses several vital offices for our U.S. military.
Additionally, there are missile silos that are a part of our national defense system located in metropolitan Cleveland.
I didn't know about the missle silos in Cleveland. Awesome.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
1,346 posts, read 2,677,189 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I didn't know about the missle silos in Cleveland. Awesome.

It's true, I grew up in an eastern suburb where several of these
missle silos are located
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 02:07 PM
 
252 posts, read 400,035 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Really? I bet you are not aware of the fact that Cleveland is home to one of our nations 12 FEDERAL RESERVE BANKS, is home to several large banks and other financial institutions ... the city is also an important port location and houses several vital offices for our U.S. military.
Additionally, there are missile silos that are a part of our national defense system located in metropolitan Cleveland.
Cleveland is home to several large banks? The only descent size bank holding company in Cleveland that I know of is KeyCorp and it's not even in the top 20. As far as other financial institutions, Cleveland isn't even on the radar when it comes to financial services. In no particular order, the major finance centers are New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Washington D.C., Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Denver.

As for Cleveland being an important port location, does it even rank in the top 20?

In regards to missile silos, many areas throughout the U.S. had or have them. At one point North Dakota had the most and I read somewhere that if ND had seceded from the union, it would have been the world's third strongest nuclear power.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
1,346 posts, read 2,677,189 times
Reputation: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
Cleveland is home to several large banks? The only descent size bank holding company in Cleveland that I know of is KeyCorp and it's not even in the top 20. As far as other financial institutions, Cleveland isn't even on the radar when it comes to financial services. In no particular order, the major finance centers are New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Washington D.C., Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Denver.

As for Cleveland being an important port location, does it even rank in the top 20?

In regards to missile silos, many areas throughout the U.S. had or have them. At one point North Dakota had the most and I read somewhere that if ND had seceded from the union, it would have been the world's third strongest nuclear power.

The absurdity of some people is astonishing ... yet predictable.

If Cleveland and it's sprawling metro area were destroyed by a nuclear bomb, do you really believe that a disaster of this magnitude wouldn't severely affect America on all fronts??
Sorry, that is asinine to even suggest such ... Cleveland may not have as many banks as NYC, but it remains an important American city that would likely become a target for many of the reasons I have already outlined in my previous posts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 PM
 
1,605 posts, read 3,297,477 times
Reputation: 595
Just sayen, the Bos-Wash megapolis would probably be saved as one, maybe parts of the Boston metro not being saved, but since everything is so close, if you save one you have to same them all, especially Philly and NYC, their borders overlap.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
 
252 posts, read 400,035 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
The absurdity of some people is astonishing ... yet predictable.

If Cleveland and it's sprawling metro area were destroyed by a nuclear bomb, do you really believe that a disaster of this magnitude wouldn't severely affect America on all fronts??
Sorry, that is asinine to even suggest such ... Cleveland may not have as many banks as NYC, but it remains an important American city that would likely become a target for many of the reasons I have already outlined in my previous posts.
Of course it would hurt the U.S. if the Cleveland area were to be hit by a nuke, but it would be much worse if a nuke hit 20+ other areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 AM
 
4,675 posts, read 7,762,884 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Just sayen, the Bos-Wash megapolis would probably be saved as one, maybe parts of the Boston metro not being saved, but since everything is so close, if you save one you have to same them all, especially Philly and NYC, their borders overlap.
I am a proud Southerner who couldn't care less about the north (within certain respects that is) but I'm begining to think the same. The whole BosWash has at least 10 metros. My only concern would be agricultural farm land. We would also become heavily dependent on other countries for our oil, or we would be forced to become creative with energy production/consumption.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 AM
 
1,728 posts, read 3,985,780 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I am a proud Southerner who couldn't care less about the north (within certain respects that is) but I'm begining to think the same. The whole BosWash has at least 10 metros. My only concern would be agricultural farm land. We would also become heavily dependent on other countries for our oil, or we would be forced to become creative with energy production/consumption.
You are an idiot
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,042,726 times
Reputation: 4051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
The absurdity of some people is astonishing ... yet predictable.

If Cleveland and it's sprawling metro area were destroyed by a nuclear bomb, do you really believe that a disaster of this magnitude wouldn't severely affect America on all fronts??
Sorry, that is asinine to even suggest such ... Cleveland may not have as many banks as NYC, but it remains an important American city that would likely become a target for many of the reasons I have already outlined in my previous posts.
I don't think his point was to say it wouldn't matter if Cleveland was bombed...he was just pointing out that Cleveland doesn't have many, if any notable financial institutions. It does have a Fed branch, but other than that...not much.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top