U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:30 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,729,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
You are an idiot
How does me a Southerner stating the BosWash is an important region, probably the most important area with saving make me an idiot? If anything that shows impartiality. Plus I raised an interesting fact that we still have yet to address the food supply and oil/ energy? Which one of those statements made me an idiot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't think his point was to say it wouldn't matter if Cleveland was bombed...he was just pointing out that Cleveland doesn't have many, if any notable financial institutions. It does have a Fed branch, but other than that...not much.
The fact that the nation, according this scenario, is going from 366 metro areas to just 10 is devastating. Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Charlotte, and San Diego do a lot for the country too. But to say they should be top 10 for US survival is absurd. I put Cleveland in the same category.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:51 PM

6,628 posts, read 11,992,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
How does me a Southerner stating the BosWash is an important region, probably the most important area with saving make me an idiot? If anything that shows impartiality. Plus I raised an interesting fact that we still have yet to address the food supply and oil/ energy? Which one of those statements made me an idiot?
I wouldn't get too worked up about it...I don't see where that guy was coming from either.

Quote:
The fact that the nation, according this scenario, is going from 366 metro areas to just 10 is devastating. Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Charlotte, and San Diego do a lot for the country too. But to say they should be top 10 for US survival is absurd. I put Cleveland in the same category.
Absolutely agree with you. But don't tell John that...he's convinced Cleveland is the apex city of America.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:00 PM

301 posts, read 540,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Really? I bet you are not aware of the fact that Cleveland is home to one of our nations 12 FEDERAL RESERVE BANKS, is home to several large banks and other financial institutions ... the city is also an important port location and houses several vital offices for our U.S. military.
Additionally, there are missile silos that are a part of our national defense system located in metropolitan Cleveland.
Dear JohnDBreakfastburger,

Cleveland is not as relevant to America as it is to Ohio. even in Ohio I think Cincinnati is more important. you need to see the 10 largest cities in country if you think Cleveland is more important than those

Sayanara,
The Ghost of Blasphamany

Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't get too worked up about it...I don't see where that guy was coming from either.

Absolutely agree with you. But don't tell John that...he's convinced Cleveland is the apex city of America.
I was really kind of flabbergasted. You can't imagine how hard it was for me to admit that about BosWash. Btw, how many MSAs are in that area? I would count from the Boston CSA on down to the DC CSA. I'm pretty sure its more than 10, with places like Vineland, Allentown, Trenton, Providence, Bridgeport, Hartford, and New Haven in that area, you'd have to pick which areas to count out.

Something I thought about, let's put Cleveland with Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis, Tampa, and Pittsburgh. Is Cleveland cut and dry above these metros? Any of these metros top 10? No. Who else is crying? Give me a break.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:12 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,057,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Just sayen, the Bos-Wash megapolis would probably be saved as one, maybe parts of the Boston metro not being saved, but since everything is so close, if you save one you have to same them all, especially Philly and NYC, their borders overlap.
Quote:
I am a proud Southerner who couldn't care less about the north (within certain respects that is) but I'm begining to think the same. The whole BosWash has at least 10 metros. My only concern would be agricultural farm land. We would also become heavily dependent on other countries for our oil, or we would be forced to become creative with energy production/consumption.
Hmmm, this sounds really familiar.... oh yeah!
Would the Russians really target Bos-Wash?

(Pause it at 42-44 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6NW0...eature=related

Lol, if it happened in Call of Duty, it must be true huh? Anyway, jokes aside, I actually had the same thoughts back earlier in this thread. If they're saving NYC, Philly, and DC, why would they leave out Baltimore and Boston? And in having to save those, then they'd also basically be "forced" to save the smaller areas in between just based on proximity, like if Providence fell into Boston's "protection zone" but not Springfield, unless that fell into say Hartford's, if it had one lol.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,971,710 times
[quote=adavi215;16506928]I am a proud Southerner who couldn't care less about the north (within certain respects that is) but I'm begining to think the same. quote]

I can't even imagine the storm that would follow if a "northerner" said that he or she couldn't give a damn about the south (insert various reason here)

Old 11-03-2010, 06:32 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,665,521 times
Quote:

You're both way off course on your "assumptions". I do NOT feel that Cleveland is the "APEX CITY OF AMERICA" as you have suggested ...
I do recognize it though, as remaining an extremely "vital" metropolis that unfortunately people just love to unjustly malign or discredit.

My point was that it is an important enough city in America, and could be a probable target for nuclear destruction.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM

6,628 posts, read 11,992,551 times
Quote:
I was really kind of flabbergasted. You can't imagine how hard it was for me to admit that about BosWash. Btw, how many MSAs are in that area? I would count from the Boston CSA on down to the DC CSA. I'm pretty sure its more than 10, with places like Vineland, Allentown, Trenton, Providence, Bridgeport, Hartford, and New Haven in that area, you'd have to pick which areas to count out.

Something I thought about, let's put Cleveland with Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis, Tampa, and Pittsburgh. Is Cleveland cut and dry above these metros? Any of these metros top 10? No. Who else is crying? Give me a break.
For MSAs, I think it would include Boston, Providence, Hartford, New Haven-Stamford-Bridgeport (I think that actually may be two different MSAs), New York City, Trenton, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington DC...so in all I think it would be around 11 or so. Pretty impressive.

In terms of Cleveland, I would put it far below Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, and a bit ahead of Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
You're both way off course on your "assumptions". I do NOT feel that Cleveland is the "APEX CITY OF AMERICA" as you have suggested ...
I do recognize it though, as remaining an extremely "vital" metropolis that unfortunately people just love to unjustly malign or discredit.

My point was that it is an important enough city in America, and could be a probable target for nuclear destruction.
Ok, just do me one favor then: admit Cleveland should not be included on this Top 10 list.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:32 AM

[quote=chitown85;16517461]
Quote:
I am a proud Southerner who couldn't care less about the north (within certain respects that is) but I'm begining to think the same. quote]

I can't even imagine the storm that would follow if a "northerner" said that he or she couldn't give a damn about the south (insert various reason here)
I think you're misunderstanding what I said. when I said "within certain respects..." I probably should have said to a certain degree I'm not a big fan of the BosWash corridor. Here in the South I find everything I enjoy and enjoy the Southern culture provides, so I am not suckered into the everything is better up north.

However, I am a factual man. 54 million live in the BosWash area, you have the nations capital, financial capital, hightech and higher ed capital, and a powerhouse in Phily. Those are some important areas. So for a Southerner to state this only proves that I'm not a babbling booster that only speaks good about my region and hates all others. If you read my post I said nothing derogatory about the north.

And northerners say they don't give a flap about the South all the time on C-D. A lot of them still think we have outhouses. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or