U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 02:39 AM

4,677 posts, read 7,817,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
For MSAs, I think it would include Boston, Providence, Hartford, New Haven-Stamford-Bridgeport (I think that actually may be two different MSAs), New York City, Trenton, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Wilmington, Baltimore, Washington DC...so in all I think it would be around 11 or so. Pretty impressive.

In terms of Cleveland, I would put it far below Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, and a bit ahead of Tampa.

Ok, just do me one favor then: admit Cleveland should not be included on this Top 10 list.
Yeah that's 11. Wilmington is with Phily's MSA. And New Haven is one and Bridgeport is another. I can't remember which one Stamford is with. I would drop Atlantic City for one of the Connecticut cities. But then again, does Atlantic city have a port? If it does, then it becommes vital.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 PM

4,205 posts, read 5,481,768 times
I don't know why Miami keeps getting mentioned. Other than the Kennedy Space Center, there's nothing of importance in the whole STATE (ok, the Air Force bases are important, but they could be moved).

Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM

20,182 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I don't know why Miami keeps getting mentioned. Other than the Kennedy Space Center, there's nothing of importance in the whole STATE (ok, the Air Force bases are important, but they could be moved).
A large population, lots of tourism dollars, regional headquarters (as in the vast region of latin america and the caribbean) of many international corporations, cultural/media powerhouse on a significant chunk of the world

Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,011,528 times
Sabado Gigante is the most watched television program in the world and is filmed in Miami. Not to mention Miami is a suburb of NYC.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 PM

4,677 posts, read 7,817,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A large population, lots of tourism dollars, regional headquarters (as in the vast region of latin america and the caribbean) of many international corporations, cultural/media powerhouse on a significant chunk of the world
While I won't belittle what you have stated about Miami, considering the scenario, the tourism may not matter. However, the connections with Latin America/Caribbean may be important for trade.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,780,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Sabado Gigante is the most watched television program in the world and is filmed in Miami. Not to mention Miami is a suburb of NYC.
I really question the first part of your post (source?), AND with the exception of the beaches, Miami/Dade pales in comparison to Broward & Palm Beach Counties now when it comes to being a "suburb of NYC" - to anyone with a fairly recent clue.

All of these recent "authoritative" pronouncements of the South that you have been making lately lead me to question just how long it's been since you have actually been outside of the Chicago area.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 PM

14,007 posts, read 21,986,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
That is true. I think people undermine Latin-America, and it belittles Miami. I wouldn't call it a burb of NYC.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Well that's pretty darn important. There are weapons testing centers in Orlando. There is the port of Miami and other ports like the Port of Jacksonville that receive Toyota Auto parts for plants here in America. Miami is a HUGE city for US operations in Latin-America. Also you got the Hurricane centers down there that track numerous hurricanes, and hold numerous evacuation centers, and ports of entry for wounded people from poorer Latin-America and the Caribbean who need US assistance(think of the Haiti Earthquake, and then think of SoFla.)

Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,260,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yeah I agree I wouldn't consider Miami an important city either everything is repaceable. It would be better to save inportant cities as in importance Miami would be at the end of the list. We could just move all the vacationers and retires. Actually if there were a nuclear war im sure miami would have no tourist and be half empty why save a half empty city.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Yeah I agree I wouldn't consider Miami an important city either everything is repaceable. It would be better to save inportant cities as in importance Miami would be at the end of the list. We could just move all the vacationers and retires. Actually if there were a nuclear war im sure miami would have no tourist and be half empty why save a half empty city.
Miami would probably be filled to the BRIM if there were a nuclear war. Where do you think everyone would be fleeing to if all the important cities were getting destroyed? NYC? Our most important city? Since Miami is so unimportant that's where everyone will be fleeing to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or