U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 PM
 
301 posts, read 545,590 times
Reputation: 185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
You're right in that food production is big in many states, but what about cities? What cities could produce enough food to feed all 10 cities left? You see what I'm getting at?
The Bureau of Economic Analysis- Manufacturing Gross Product 2008
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet $58.943 Billion
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown $53.276 Billion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana $49.736 Billion
Dallas-Ft Worth-Arlington $48.566 Billion

not including state of NJ to give depiction for cities. the largest manufacturing cities are Chicago, Houston, Toronto, New York, Los Angeles, Dallas in that very order. I left NY out because most manufacturing comes from NJ and very small portion from NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2010, 06:42 PM
 
1,534 posts, read 2,258,535 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Most important/significant/influential U.S. cities/metros:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington D.C.
5. Atlanta


The rest of the top 10 (in no particular order):
Miami, Dallas, Houston, Boston, and San Francisco


Philadelphia is number 11.



Enough said. Case closed.
why miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,771,285 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
why miami?
Huge international air hub and the defacto capital of the Caribbean/Latin America in regards to banking and commerce.

Just my take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,942 posts, read 3,898,174 times
Reputation: 4427
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Most important/significant/influential U.S. cities/metros:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington D.C.
5. Atlanta


The rest of the top 10 (in no particular order):
Miami, Dallas, Houston, Boston, and San Francisco


Philadelphia is number 11.



Enough said. Case closed.
I don't see how Atlanta makes in into the top five. The Bay Area is certainly above it. A case could also be made for Boston, Houston, and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 PM
 
12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
why miami?

Why?


What he said:

Most Important Metros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 PM
 
12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I don't see how Atlanta makes in into the top five. The Bay Area is certainly above it. A case could also be made for Boston, Houston, and Dallas.

(see highlighted above)


No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM
 
12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I don't see how Atlanta makes in into the top five. The Bay Area is certainly above it. A case could also be made for Boston, Houston, and Dallas.

Atlanta is the de-facto capital of the American South--a significant world region that functions somewhat like a separate country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2010, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Reputation: 10181
Ive said it before and Ill lay it out again (as I see it anyway):

Primate city:

New York

Top tier:

Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC

Those are the top ones, after that:

San Francisco
Boston

Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Miami
Philadelphia

After that:

Minneapolis
Detroit
Denver
Seattle
Charlotte
Phoenix
San Diego

After that, it really doesnt matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 PM
 
12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Ive said it before and Ill lay it out again (as I see it anyway):

Primate city:

New York

Top tier:

Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC

Those are the top ones, after that:

San Francisco
Boston

Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Miami
Philadelphia

After that:

Minneapolis
Detroit
Denver
Seattle
Charlotte
Phoenix
San Diego

After that, it really doesnt matter.

Decent, but some tweaking:


Primate City: New York


Ultimate Top-Tier: Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC


Super Top-Tier: Atlanta


Top-Tier: Miami, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Houston


Secondary Top-Tier: Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2010, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Decent, but some tweaking:


Primate City: New York


Ultimate Top-Tier: Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC


Super Top-Tier: Atlanta


Top-Tier: Miami, Dallas, San Francisco, Boston, Houston


Secondary Top-Tier: Philadelphia
I dont think Atlanta belongs above Miami, Dallas, Houston, Boston, and certainly not San Francisco. San Francisco and Boston are more important and the others (along with Philly) are pretty equal to me. I would peg Houston the head of that group, not Atlanta.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top