U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 PM

305 posts, read 426,918 times

Advertisements

Lets give a scenario: if we were to be randomly nuked, what are the 10 Metro areas the gov would be on the list to be saved? My guess would be:
DC (duh)
NYC (largest metropolitan area)
Los Angeles (If they are gonna save their military bases there they might as well save LA too)
Chicago (once again, one of our biggest metros)
Bay Area (I suppose the big business of the Silicon Valley will get the govs attention)
Denver (once again, if they are saving the secret stuff in cheyenne mountain, its pretty close to Denver aint it?)
San Diego (major port and naval base)
Des Moines (I think the pres had to hide somewhere in Iowa during 9/11 )
Dallas/Fort Worth (another large metro)
Las Vegas (If the importance of area 51 is so much that the gov would care? Idk....)

This is probably a stupid thread but if you bother, thanks for posting somehin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 PM

21,973 posts, read 30,940,388 times
NYC Finance/Media
DC - Gov't
Houston - Oil

Then - Largest therafter
LA
Chicago
DFW
Philly
Atlanta
Boston
SF/Bay Area

Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,250,320 times
In no particular order:

New York City- Finance (Wall Street)

Washington DC- US Government

Chicago- Transportation hub & Mercantile Exchange

San Francisco- Tech (Capital of tech and some of the wealthiest companies in the world)

Los Angeles- Film Industry

Houston- Energy (Oil & Gas)

Boston- Biomedical hub & Educational facilities

Philadelphia- Pharmaceuticals

Atlanta- Media Broadcasting

Detroit- Automobile Industry

Miami- Capital of Latin America & Latin American Finance

Old 10-28-2010, 12:19 AM

31,598 posts, read 53,305,758 times
Aside from the film industry, the Los Angeles area(Pop 18 Million) is home to approximately one-fourth of the entire population of the Western US, LA is the transportation hub and premier center for trade and commerce for California and the west, LA is the principal gateway to the US from the Pacific rim and is the largest manufacturing metropolitan area in the entire country.

Los Angeles is also the 2nd largest media market by far, the 2nd largest consumer market by far. LA is splashed all over TV, film, radio, music and many popular culture trends and fads that embody America to the world can trace their roots to LA. One thing I think LA has over NY and DC is that people outside of the US rarely hate LA the way they despise NY and DC-LA is seen as a more benign place and not overrun by power hungry politicos and business tycoons who want to exploit the world and impose US hegemony over everyone else.

Futhermore, LA has one of the most famously iconic American businesses ever, Disney. That company is definitely one of the biggest Ambassadors of goodwill to the rest of the world that we've seen in the last what? 50 or so years?

Also, Los Angeles is a melting pot only rivaled by New York, Greater LA is home to the largest concentration of Hispanics AND Asians in the United States with people from every corner of the world spread out all over the immense LA Basin.

Does all of this qualify LA to be at least 2nd? Im inclined to say yes(for the time being anyway).

Old 10-28-2010, 12:25 AM

305 posts, read 426,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Aside from the film industry, the Los Angeles area(Pop 18 Million) is home to approximately one-fourth of the entire population of the Western US, LA is the transportation hub and premier center for trade and commerce for California and the west, LA is the principal gateway to the US from the Pacific rim and is the largest manufacturing metropolitan area in the entire country.

Los Angeles is also the 2nd largest media market by far, the 2nd largest consumer market by far. LA is splashed all over TV, film, radio, music and many popular culture trends and fads that embody America to the world can trace their roots to LA. One thing I think LA has over NY and DC is that people outside of the US rarely hate LA the way they despise NY and DC-LA is seen as a more benign place and not overrun by power hungry politicos and business tycoons who want to exploit the world and impose US hegemony over everyone else.

Futhermore, LA has one of the most famously iconic American businesses ever, Disney. That company is definitely one of the biggest Ambassadors of goodwill to the rest of the world that we've seen in the last what? 50 or so years?

Also, Los Angeles is a melting pot only rivaled by New York, Greater LA is home to the largest concentration of Hispanics AND Asians in the United States with people from every corner of the world spread out all over the immense LA Basin.

Does all of this qualify LA to be at least 2nd? Im inclined to say yes(for the time being anyway).

Well, you could say that and you have a very good point! My question would be that if the gov had to keep 10 metros and get rid of the rest of us, I was thinking which would be important enough. I suppose saving LA could also be a major morale boost...

Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,858,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
In no particular order:

New York City- Finance (Wall Street)

Washington DC- US Government

Chicago- Transportation hub & Mercantile Exchange

San Francisco- Tech (Capital of tech and some of the wealthiest companies in the world)

Los Angeles- Film Industry

Houston- Energy (Oil & Gas)

Boston- Biomedical hub & Educational facilities

Philadelphia- Pharmaceuticals

Atlanta- Media Broadcasting

Detroit- Automobile Industry

Miami- Capital of Latin America & Latin American Finance
You forgot that Atlanta has a little ole shack called the CDC.....

Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 AM

21,130 posts, read 33,109,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You forgot that Atlanta has a little ole shack called the CDC.....
Not to mention its' strategic importance as a transportation hub.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,381,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Lets give a scenario: if we were to be randomly nuked, what are the 10 Metro areas the gov would be on the list to be saved?
Wouldnt the government want to save the 10 largest Metro areas to maximize the amount of lives that would be saved?

In a situation like that, it would not matter who the media capital or the oil capital is. It would be about saving the most lives possible.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 AM

21,130 posts, read 33,109,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Wouldnt the government want to save the 10 largest Metro areas to maximize the amount of lives that would be saved?

In a situation like that, it would not matter who the media capital or the oil capital is. It would be about saving the most lives possible.
I thought of that as well, but then I remembered that we're talking about the United States Government.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 AM

5,158 posts, read 5,017,474 times
I'm pretty sure the Government would focus on saving major naval port cities, such as Norfolk, Pearl City/Honolulu (Pearl Harbor), etc. Without our Navy and Air Force, I'm pretty sure we can't further protect places like Denver and Atlanta.

I also think cities that have huge government contracts to make weapons would be saved. The government would certainly try to save economically strong cities with higher populations, but this is behind protecting your war-based assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or