Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 09:13 PM

787 posts, read 1,688,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
One source from 2003 really....I listed like 10 sources all citing the same thing

And the fact this list shows DC as number 4 when everything recently shows DC as the number 1 educated city among 25+ shows this list is dated to say the least...

here's another.

Pittsburgh's young workforce among top 5 most educated in US

That one source is the U.S. Census. Any source you find, if it's worth its salt, uses those numbers.

Your statement is still incorrect, try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,846,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
That one source is the U.S. Census. Any source you find, if it's worth its salt, uses those numbers.

Your statement is still incorrect, try again.
Its not the offical census data, its not even complete data....nice try its some hybrid survey....anyway its outdated...Please find me other sources that back this up data up and is more recent...

The ACS is produced yearly so 2003 isn't even vaild in 2010.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Its not the offical census data, its not even complete data....nice try its some hybrid survey....anyway its outdated...Please find me other sources that back this up data up and is more recent...

The ACS is produced yearly so 2003 isn't even vaild in 2010.
I explained why the 2003 data was used in my post. The 2000 data numbers would show the same rankings, roughly. It's unlikely that educational levels declined in any of the cities that I mentioned either.

Listen, this is not to prove that Pittsburgh is not a well-educated city. However, there are Southern cities that have higher levels of educational attainment, and I only pointed out that point of your post.

Your sources do not disprove what I am saying. In fact, many of them agree...and by the way, the Urbanophile data only shows Midwestern cities + Pittsburgh.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 PM

Actually if you would've read my last link it actually does counter you....Here it is again

Quote:
UCSUR regional economist Chris Briem used information collected by the U.S. Census Bureau to compare the educational attainment of workers aged 25 to 34 in Pittsburgh and the country's top 40 metropolitan areas

I post more sources than Urbanophile -

Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Actually if you would've read my last link it actually does counter you....Here it is again

I post more sources than Urbanophile

I did read it. Workers aged 25-34 =/= the whole population!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
When the educational attainment of Pittsburgh workers as a whole is categorized by age, it provides a profound illustration of the city's well-known post-industrial transition, Briem wrote. For the 35-to-44 and 45-to-54 groups, the percentage of those with at least a bachelor's degree decreases and remains only slightly above the national average, falling below the national average for those aged 55 to 64 (figure 1). For Pittsburgh workers over the age of 65, the formally educated comprise only 24.4 percent, a full 10 points lower than the national average for the same group.
From the same article...

Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 PM

Ok - why are you bringing retiree's into the data...My whole arguement was on "Young Workforce".....Retiree are not workforce.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
From the same article...
Young workers are the future. Pittsburgh's young workers (ages 25-44) are college-educated at a rate well above the national average. That bodes very well for the city's future.

And Pittsburgh is only "racist" to those who already have a racial chip on their shoulders. Half the people my father worked with in Pittsburgh were Asian, and none of them ever complained about not fitting in there.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Ok - why are you bringing retiree's into the data...My whole arguement was on "Young Workforce".....Retiree are not workforce.

No you didn't. You said that no city in the South has as high of an educational achievement as Pittsburgh, and that is false. Retirees are only one segment of the population when factored in for educational attainment. You are also leaving out people who are middle-aged, raising children. ~35-55. They are also important for educational attainment statistics, all of which show that Pittsburgh ranks high, but several Southern cities rank higher.

To Gnutella, I definitely agree...but who says that Pittsburgh or any other city retains its 25-34 year old workers as they age?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Young workers are the future. Pittsburgh's young workers (ages 25-44) are college-educated at a rate well above the national average. That bodes very well for the city's future.

And Pittsburgh is only "racist" to those who already have a racial chip on their shoulders. Half the people my father worked with in Pittsburgh were Asian, and none of them ever complained about not fitting in there.

I never said anything about racism in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City