Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
No you didn't. You said that no city in the South has as high of an educational achievement as Pittsburgh, and that is false. Retirees are only one segment of the population when factored in for educational attainment. You are also leaving out people who are middle-aged, raising children. ~35-55. They are also important for educational attainment statistics, all of which show that Pittsburgh ranks high, but several Southern cities rank higher.

To Gnutella, I definitely agree...but who says that Pittsburgh or any other city retains its 25-34 year old workers as they age?
But if you take out the retirees (which are not apart of the workforce) (25-55) Pittsburgh skews higher than the South....only way the South beats Pittsburgh is when you add in the retirees, because still retains a significant portion of its steel workers that are retired...didn't need a college education back then to work in the mills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
You can't be serious. I mean that took me 30 seconds to find.
One source list Austin above Pittsburgh (But Pittsburgh is still rank pretty high in the same survey).....I listed 10-12 source all saying that Pittsburgh is one of the most Educated Literate cities in the country....Show me the same amount of sources saying the same thing about the South Birmingham in particular since that's what this thread is comparing Pittsburgh to...

Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM

249 posts, read 609,282 times
Blackbeauty you are completely delusional in all aspects of life and the city of Pittsburgh. I understand and respect you having hometown pride, but facts are facts. I lived in pittsburgh for 4 years and it is no place for an African American. I can count on one hand the amount of African Americans in city leadership. The population of progressive blacks in Pittsburgh is very small and it continues to decrease. Not to mention it doesn't even have an R & B station. Also your whole perspective of blacks using an excuse for not being successful and equating that to being lazy and wanting hand outs is completely insulting and inaccurate. Get your head out of the clouds and into reality.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But if you take out the retirees (which are not apart of the workforce) (25-55) Pittsburgh skews higher than the South....only way the South beats Pittsburgh is when you add in the retirees, because still retains a significant portion of its steel workers that are retired...didn't need a college education back then to work in the mills.

There are definitely people over 55 who still work. 60 is the new 50. And I doubt that Pittsburgh would rank higher than places like Raleigh, due to heavy college presences, and would still be comparable to an Atlanta, etc. What you should really look at are the numbers of African Americans in Pittsburgh with college degrees...

Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
I never said anything about racism in Pittsburgh.
Somebody else did.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Blackbeauty you are completely delusional in all aspects of life and the city of Pittsburgh. I understand and respect you having hometown pride, but facts are facts. I lived in pittsburgh for 4 years and it is no place for an African American. I can count on one hand the amount of African Americans in city leadership. The population of progressive blacks in Pittsburgh is very small and it continues to decrease. Not to mention it doesn't even have an R & B station. Also your whole perspective of blacks using an excuse for not being successful and equating that to being lazy and wanting hand outs is completely insulting and inaccurate. Get your head out of the clouds and into reality.
People are sooooo ignorant, honest to goodness.

What facts....You haven't proved any facts...Show me these fact...A disfuctional radio station that ran itself into the ground is hardly fact...Here's a clue even White were listening to WAMO...It had nothing to do with Race it had to do with dwindling $$$$ and that listeners were tuning out.....What because it was black the owers were suppose to take on massive amounts of debt and keep it alive???? WAMO wont be the only station, broadcast Radio is dying its called EVOLUTION - iPods, Internet Radio, Youtube, Satellite Radio...its killing Broadcast....

If Pittsburgh is no place for blacks, then 99.9% of America is no place for blacks.....because Pittsburgh doesn't glamorize the stereotype its a Racist place...I can find you hundered blacks that are saying the same thing in NYC, Philadelphia, Balitmore, Cleveland, Chicago, LA, Miami, etc...Pittsburgh city council at one point was 1/2 half blacks, representing half the city.....

Again because you felt like you couldn't make it in Pittsburgh you brand the whole city as Racist and not for blacks....Its the same song sang by Lazy black folk across america...That XYZ City is Racist because they could hack it there. Its this sense of "I'm Black so I'm entitled and if you don't give me, then you're a Racist"

Pittsburgh is no more Racist than the DEEP STILL SEGRAGATED SOUTH!

GTHOH WITH THE BS

Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
There are definitely people over 55 who still work. 60 is the new 50. And I doubt that Pittsburgh would rank higher than places like Raleigh, due to heavy college presences, and would still be comparable to an Atlanta, etc. What you should really look at are the numbers of African Americans in Pittsburgh with college degrees...
Why should race matter....Let's look at the College degrees of AA in Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle while were at it, does it knock these cities down on the Educational Attainment rankings because they're predominantly white....What we should be focusing on are schools/city that best match the skill set sought by the indvidual..Race shouldn't have anything to do with it.....

Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Why should race matter....Let's look at the College degrees of AA in Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle while were at it, does it knock these cities down on the Educational Attainment rankings because they're predominantly white....What we should be focusing on are schools/city that best match the skill set sought by the indvidual..Race shouldn't have anything to do with it.....

The title of the thread deals with African Americans, so in this case it does matter. Like it or not, some cities have more successful black populations than others, and African Americans as a whole are lagging in regards to higher ed. It is impressive that cities like D.C. and Atlanta show up on the best educated lists as these cities are majority African-American.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM

Those are about the only 2 cities, out of the entire USA..But the OP also didnt ask about Atlanta or DC....So what makes Pittsburgh so different from the rest of the USA excluding DC and ATL? Seems like all big cities have the same type of problem with successful/educated Blacks...So my question is is it the cities? or is it Blacks? Are all cities outside of DC and ATL purposely holding Blacks down, responsible for them living in Ghetto's, having childern out of wed lock, living in violence and proverty, the inability to afford decent educations....whos responsible for that.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM

442 posts, read 827,650 times
Quote:
the inability to afford decent educations....whos responsible for that.
Who is? If a family wants the best education for there kid and the kid is willing to pu in the work who's fault is it at that point if the don't have the means to get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City