U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,179,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was off by a little, it's actually 44,000 according to the latest estimates.

http://profilewarehouse.sandag.org/p...ip92101est.pdf
Ok by your estimates not the city of San Diego huh.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 AM

10,433 posts, read 13,995,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Ok by your estimates not the city of San Diego huh.
These estimates are from the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG), the area's regional planning agency.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 AM

3,708 posts, read 6,942,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Downtown Seattle and Downtown SD are absolutely no comparison. Downtown Seattle is way, way more cosmopolitan and bigger than Downtown San Diego. Seattle's urban and San Diego's suburban. Petco Park attendance is among the worst in the league, albeit slight improvement due to Padres' performance this year. Wait till next year when its true color shows, and you'll see even more declining attendance rate. The only thing working in SD are the Gaslamp and the water district. Maybe the convention center is working for now, but the jury is out. Downtown Seattle, half the projects built in the last 20 years are working such as the Westlake Shopping Center, Pike's Market and the Washington Mutual's Museum

Like you said, the area around Horton's, particularly the Gaslamp District, has improved. Downtown San Diego is very, very spotty. Try walking by the new Cvs drug store near Petco Park. It's so empty and blighted despite the new empty condos. Seattle's is much better and more fun than San Diego's. There's way, way to many gaps and empty lots in Downtown San Diego. The new highrises in Downtown San Diego has almost no impact on the street scene there/ mostly homeless people, few tourists and legal workers populate the streets. Criminals also walk the streets in Downtown San Diego. I'm talking about during the weekdays.
All of this based on a 3 hour visit to San Diego? Give it up, durf, and go out and enjoy what you say is the best downtown in all of America - San Jose.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,178,010 times
Ironcouger, Dt. Seattle has about 45,000 people in its downtown, not 60,000 unless you include Capitol Hill and Lake Union. As for the office, it depends on what's included and not. I'd say it's anywhere from 31 million to about 38 million sq. ft, and includes 4 new buildings built since 2004: the Eight, 5th and Yelsler, Washington Mutual former headquarter and 4th one in Midtown around Nineth and Madison.

858, I never said the Safeco stadium is successful. It's just not in downtown Seattle. It's slightly to the south of downtown. That's why I didn't mention the stadium.

Sdurbanite, yes I was in SD for only 3hr. because it didn't have much to show, and I was in San Diego for 4 days 3 years ago. I was more bored then. They just have weak and dead downtown with a waterfront that needs to be improved with landcaping and park. They need to dress it up. It's so tired. I got nothing against San Diego. I'm a realist. I speak based on what I observe, and the locals tell me. They agree with me especially the hot girls of San Diego, but really from Minnesota and Indiana. I never said San Jose has the best downtown in America, but it's better than San Diego. Even Denver has a better downtown than San Diego. As for San Jose, why did you bring it up since it's between San Diego and Seattle?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,179,464 times
Quote:
Ironcouger, Dt. Seattle has about 45,000 people in its downtown, not 60,000 unless you include Capitol Hill and Lake Union. As for the office, it depends on what's included and not. I'd say it's anywhere from 31 million to about 38 million sq. ft, and includes 4 new buildings built since 2004: the Eight, 5th and Yelsler, Washington Mutual former headquarter and 4th one in Midtown around Nineth and Madison.

858, I never said the Safeco stadium is successful. It's just not in downtown Seattle. It's slightly to the south of downtown. That's why I didn't mention the stadium.

Sdurbanite, yes I was in SD for only 3hr. because it didn't have much to show, and I was in San Diego for 4 days 3 years ago. I was more bored then. They just have weak and dead downtown with a waterfront that needs to be improved with landcaping and park. They need to dress it up. It's so tired. I got nothing against San Diego. I'm a realist. I speak based on what I observe, and the locals tell me. They agree with me especially the hot girls of San Diego, but really from Minnesota and Indiana. I never said San Jose has the best downtown in America, but it's better than San Diego. Even Denver has a better downtown than San Diego. As for San Jose, why did you bring it up since it's between San Diego and Seattle?
Hey durf check out Seattle.gov center city I include south of lake union,part of the hill just to Broadway and so does the city of seatle its actually a small downtown including those areas. At 3.2 square miles everthing is easy walking distance and great public transportation. Its very dense including those neighborhoods. 18,000+ per a square mile .All the neighborhoods have housing ,retail,office in a vertical setting. In the 3.2 square mile area theres over 40million square ft of office space you also forgot the Amazon .com world headquarters just opened. Downtown Seattle is much more dense and compact than SanDiego, most the retail is multilevel in Seattle Stores,restaurants,malls.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 AM

75 posts, read 185,818 times
Wow...a lot of people feel strongly about who's downtown is better. This isnt one of the biggest issues for me. Can you tell which is better for....

Public Transporation...Seattle or San Diego.
San Diego has busses and trollys that I believe run till midnight. But I have heard the Seattle busses run till 1am. I am not 100% sure on those facts. It would be really helpful to hear from someone who actually uses the public transportation systems. How often does it run? How safe is it?

Which is better Seattle or San Diego....for insects problems/issues?
Nasty cockroaches where Im at in So Cal. But spiders in Seattle? Thats a toss up. Spiders scare me but cockroaches are so dirty and disgusting.

Okay, I know everyone is going to say San Diego has better weather, right? And I dont want to start world war 3. But for a person who enjoys rain and cool climate and doesnt like it over 70 degrees, which would you say is better suited? Seattle for that person, right?? Ive spent summer in San Diego and while its bright and sunny and you can do outdoor things without a problem, it gets too hot for my taste.

Which is better, Seattle or San Diego....for safety. I think the only people who can really answer this is those who have been to both places or lived both places. I have spent time in San Diego and felt it was decent in safety, with some parts being more upscale, some parts college kids, and some parts a bit rundown. As for Seattle I only know what I have heard and read and its mixed reviews. Some people have told me its a very safe place while others say there is quite a bit of drugs and crime. I would love to hear from someone who has spent time in both places. More than a few hours, at least a few days.

When I go somewhere I at least spend the weekend and even then thats not really enough time for me to fully judge.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,510,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
Wow...a lot of people feel strongly about who's downtown is better. This isnt one of the biggest issues for me. Can you tell which is better for....

Public Transporation...Seattle or San Diego.
San Diego has busses and trollys that I believe run till midnight. But I have heard the Seattle busses run till 1am. I am not 100% sure on those facts. It would be really helpful to hear from someone who actually uses the public transportation systems. How often does it run? How safe is it?

Which is better Seattle or San Diego....for insects problems/issues?
Nasty cockroaches where Im at in So Cal. But spiders in Seattle? Thats a toss up. Spiders scare me but cockroaches are so dirty and disgusting.

Okay, I know everyone is going to say San Diego has better weather, right? And I dont want to start world war 3. But for a person who enjoys rain and cool climate and doesnt like it over 70 degrees, which would you say is better suited? Seattle for that person, right?? Ive spent summer in San Diego and while its bright and sunny and you can do outdoor things without a problem, it gets too hot for my taste.

Which is better, Seattle or San Diego....for safety. I think the only people who can really answer this is those who have been to both places or lived both places. I have spent time in San Diego and felt it was decent in safety, with some parts being more upscale, some parts college kids, and some parts a bit rundown. As for Seattle I only know what I have heard and read and its mixed reviews. Some people have told me its a very safe place while others say there is quite a bit of drugs and crime. I would love to hear from someone who has spent time in both places. More than a few hours, at least a few days.

When I go somewhere I at least spend the weekend and even then thats not really enough time for me to fully judge.
As far as insects I don't think San Diego has that many problems. Part of the reason is that it barely ever rains so flying bugs like mosquitoes hardly exist and flies and moths aren't any worse than most areas in the U.S. San Diego does have a bad termite problem that Seattle likely doesn't. There are nasty Black Widow spiders in San Diego that can cause a very painful bite and the California Recluse spider is very painful if it bites a person but both spiders generally avoid people. And the tarantulas and scorpions are mainly out in the foothills away from people.

San Diego's climate depends how close one lives to the ocean with very mild temperatures near the beach to fairly hot on the east side of town in places like Rancho Penasquitos and El Cajon. It was in the 90's last week in San Diego so it can get hot on occasion even in autumn but summers are very comfortable especially down by the water.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:12 AM

Ironcouger, I didn't forget Amazon's new headquarters. I included all the developments since 2004. The new Seattle's civic center is ok but not great. Check out San Jose's new civic center. San Diego doesn't even have one, and they recently canceled it new civic center project to prevent voter's backlash. Seattle has a nice urban center extending from Queen Ann to SoDo(stadiums area) and from the bay to the west and Capitol/first Hill to the East.

Downtown Seattle may be small, but it's surrounded by a nice urban center/core. By the way, Seattle's small downtown is still way, way more cosmospolitan and bigger than SD's. It's way more vibrant than Dt San Diego. What urban center in San Diego? It doesn't have one. San Diego is no match for Seattle.

Is San Diego a bad city? Hell Hell no, it's a good suburban, beach city with all different communities as follows: La Jolla, Hilcrest, Old Town, Mission Valley and Pacific Beach. It's just not "A Downtown City" even though it has a downtown is better than LA. LA's downtown is a total joke, and I went there last summer. That's another forum. I like San Diego but not its downtown that much. I would usually go to Carlsbad which is a nice area.

Seattle, on the other hand, I would go to its downtown since it's vibrant, relatively. I really like its whole urban center( center city) which is alot better than Philly's center city.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:15 AM

10,433 posts, read 13,995,632 times
HAHA, after briefly reading your pasts posts Durf, you have even less credibility that I thought. This was probably one of my favorite lines:
Quote:
Santa Cruz, CA is way more shopping active than Philly's Center City. People walk side by side all the time in downtown Santa Cruz.
No wonder no one ever really agrees with you. And SD's new civic center project isn't cancelled either, the mayor just vetoed putting it to a public vote but that doesn't cancel the project. Your posts just can't be taken seriously at this point.

And for the OP, given your preference for weather it's probably best to leave Southern CA entirely. Seattle's climate is much more to your liking it seems. Public transit probably won't be any worse than SD despite having less rail transit, I hear it has a great bus system.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 PM

Sav858, I mean what I said. Santa Cruz has more active shopping and dining scene than Philly's. There are alot of vacant storefronts on Chestnut/Walnut St. areas. Go to both cities before you blab. Yes, I really, really think the civic center project is cancelled if you read the tea lines. People will not put up with runaway spending antics of its city hall. They may just vetoed putting it up for public vote due to possible backlash, but I think it'll be many years before this project would be a reality. Therefore, it's cancelled! Have you been to Santa Cruz and Philadelphia? No, I don't think so. Are you from San Diego originally? Why defend San Diego since I'm so accurate based on what I observe. I know cities really well. I'm well traveled.

When you compare an urban Seattle with a suburban San Diego, San Diego will always get short end of the stick. It can't even compare with Seattle. However, I think San Diego has a better downtown than Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Phoenix, Miami, Los Angeles and other major cities, but not Portland, Denver, San Francisco, Boston, San Jose, Seattle, Philadelphia and Indianapolis. If that makes San Diego feel better than itself. They should be realistic about its downtown. Most people would agree with this fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City