U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM

8,080 posts, read 6,052,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Imho I found Seattle to be the easiest place to meet people and have a great social life because that's what happen to me. When I moved into my home neighbors brought over cakes and homeade bread. I had more parties, friends and neighbors over in 6 mnths than all of my 25 years back in D.C. And that 9 months of awful weather is a total exaggeration. There is no way I would of stayed 12 years in Seattle with weather like that.
I know that you adore Seattle and that's fine. I can't for the life of me understand how people could find Seattle easier to make friends in than anywhere else, I really can't. It seems to me that even most of the people that plug the place admit that it's tough meeting people there, they just admit that they prefer it that way.

It's not an exaggeration at all. Maybe your idea of what constitutes "bad weather" is different than mine; it must be, because even growing up there, I can't remember much "good" weather unless it was during the summer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 PM

4,525 posts, read 8,060,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I know that you adore Seattle and that's fine. I can't for the life of me understand how people could find Seattle easier to make friends in than anywhere else, I really can't. It seems to me that even most of the people that plug the place admit that it's tough meeting people there, they just admit that they prefer it that way.

It's not an exaggeration at all. Maybe your idea of what constitutes "bad weather" is different than mine; it must be, because even growing up there, I can't remember much "good" weather unless it was during the summer.
In a city like Seattle were the economy is strong, crime is pretty low plus its pretty nice to look at and enjoy why should it be so hard to meet people? It shouldn't be an issue since many people that live in and around Seattle are from somewhere else. Its a pretty simple, laid back, slow paced pleasant city imo.

As far as the weather, coming from the east coast there really is no comparision. Again Seattle is a piece of cake. Wintertime back east meant, cold, snow, ice, wind, no green, no flowers, NOTHING. Summertime meant oppressive heat and humidity. Huge thunderstorms that come and go, and afterwards the hot streets steaming up. Then the mosquitos come out. It was the worst. Maybe people coming from southern California might find it difficult but I really didn't. I found it quite nice.

Now I've been living in L.A. for the past 6 months and I'm learning to adjust to its weather.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 AM

298 posts, read 293,278 times
Great thread, thanks to all for posting your opinions. Of course the decision is subjective.

I lived in SD for 6 years, ended up in Humboldt, and now live in Berlin Germany. Want to move back to the US. Considering SD again due to friends, familiarity, etc. but I also * loved * it up north, and after the Berlin winters Seattle would be a walk in the park.

Either city could be fantastic. They both have tons to offer. One could hardly go wrong with either choice.

My criteria (please respond and help me decide!):

Which city is best for creative people? I'm a fine artist, as well as an independent web developer. I know I could fairly easily go back to SD and find IT work, and before long be integrated back into the US no problem. However I think the culture, supporting visual art and fine art is not so good there, perhaps due to the economic nature of the area. Of course the weather is gorgeous, the beaches, deserts, etc, I love them all. But one reason I decided to move away is because I found the culture to be a bit sleepy, and at that point just wasn't quite ready to shore up in Maragaritaville if you know what I mean. However, after being away, I miss so many wonderful aspects of SD. And I know there's a lot to offer there, and I also believe life is what you make it, etc.

...But, Seattle could offer more - better economic situation, more wilderness to explore (I haven't explored it, yet) but most of all, I'm interested in finding a city that supports hard-working, independent artists and not just yuppies or highly-specialized technical trades. That's one aspect of Berlin that I love - that there are so many creative people here giving it a go (despite the weak economy in comparison to either SD or Seattle). I'm fortunate enough to understand the pros and cons of both worlds, and hope to return to the US and develop both aspects of my life in a more productive way.

So in that context which is the most holistic city?

THX

EDIT: also should add: It's not necessary to be in a strictly urban place. In other words if there is an area somewhere in the vicinity of Seattle, more rural but supportive of what I've described above, I'd like to hear about it.

Last edited by scottfreez; 02-27-2011 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 06-29-2011, 03:25 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,490,974 times
Default Seattle by a mile

San Diego does have Seattle beat on weather, although SD can get socked in for extended periods with "June Gloom".

On all other accounts, I think Seattle wins:

-Prettier setting/more nature
-Better job opportunities
-More educated population
-Lower cost of living, yet equal to higher salaries
-More liberal populous/not consumed by neo-conservatism/military influence
-More of a world class feel (Seattle feels like a mini-SF to me vs a large surfing/provincial town that I felt when I lived in SD)
-Better adjacent cities (Vancouver is so much nicer than LA)

Old 06-30-2011, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
^ well Seattle is city of its own; San Diego is suburb of L.A where angelinos go to enjoy cute little resort town feel, imo Seattle is better as a city
So true just look at all the L.A. people in San Diego on any given day. They all over every amusement park in SD, at ever event that happens in greater SD, spend all their money on our economy and basically they do everything else San Diegans don't.

San Diego is pathetic and if you want to live in a sub-par city SD is number one. For world sophistication and diversity and everything else good, Seattle def.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV585 View Post
So true just look at all the L.A. people in San Diego on any given day. They all over every amusement park in SD, at ever event that happens in greater SD, spend all their money on our economy and basically they do everything else San Diegans don't.

San Diego is pathetic and if you want to live in a sub-par city SD is number one. For world sophistication and diversity and everything else good, Seattle def.
If anyone watches the news down in SD, they will see how colloquial it is. It is amazing that this is a metropolitan area of >3 million.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 PM

298 posts, read 293,278 times
Hm well I've already made my mind up and will be moving (back) to San Diego. But I'll get up to Seattle and check it out. I just have more connections and friends etc. in SD. And I really miss the surfing as well as the desert. Plus the last several winters in northern Europe have been brutal for me and I'm not willing to put up with it again in Seattle, though it would be a lot nicer in Seattle I'm sure. It'll keep me busy for a few years just exploring southern california again.

The colloquialism and slowness of it was something I used to criticize quite a bit in the past and it's one reason why I left. You are correct - it's a sleepy town with a conservative/military bent. But, there are also enough good people there and San Deigans are generally quite friendly (the weather).

By now having moved around the world a bit I think I could manage to live in either Seattle or San Diego and not complain about much at all, but I'll go with the sun, surf, and desert for starters

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
Hm well I've already made my mind up and will be moving (back) to San Diego. But I'll get up to Seattle and check it out. I just have more connections and friends etc. in SD. And I really miss the surfing as well as the desert. Plus the last several winters in northern Europe have been brutal for me and I'm not willing to put up with it again in Seattle, though it would be a lot nicer in Seattle I'm sure. It'll keep me busy for a few years just exploring southern california again.

The colloquialism and slowness of it was something I used to criticize quite a bit in the past and it's one reason why I left. You are correct - it's a sleepy town with a conservative/military bent. But, there are also enough good people there and San Deigans are generally quite friendly (the weather).

By now having moved around the world a bit I think I could manage to live in either Seattle or San Diego and not complain about much at all, but I'll go with the sun, surf, and desert for starters
You know, if you're into surfing, SD is the place to be. I am not a surfer, so I never really associated with that scene. I came from a small town in Northern California, and wanted to get away from the small-town feel. That is probably why I feel more comfortable living in the Bay Area currently. I lived in Phoenix for a couple years after SD, and believe it or not, I felt that Phoenix had more of a big city feel than SD (which isn't saying that much).

Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM

10,160 posts, read 13,181,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
You know, if you're into surfing, SD is the place to be. I am not a surfer, so I never really associated with that scene. I came from a small town in Northern California, and wanted to get away from the small-town feel. That is probably why I feel more comfortable living in the Bay Area currently. I lived in Phoenix for a couple years after SD, and believe it or not, I felt that Phoenix had more of a big city feel than SD (which isn't saying that much).
What town did you grow up in? I'm currently in a small town along Highway 101 right now (Ukiah) and there is nothing up here that remotely resembles San Diego in anyway. I grew up in the Bay Area and with the exception of the City of SF, it doesn't really feel that different to me than SD. Yeah it is much bigger but it's just more of the same type of sprawl generally speaking once you leave SF. The entire East Bay would probably be comparable to SD.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What town did you grow up in? I'm currently in a small town along Highway 101 right now (Ukiah) and there is nothing up here that remotely resembles San Diego in anyway. I grew up in the Bay Area and with the exception of the City of SF, it doesn't really feel that different to me than SD. Yeah it is much bigger but it's just more of the same type of sprawl generally speaking once you leave SF. The entire East Bay would probably be comparable to SD.
I grew up in Monterey. I was referring mainly to the media, in that it has a small town feel in SD. Don't ask me why, but this bothered me immensely. I did enjoy my time down in SD for college, but didn't see that as a long term place for me to further my career (could be different if I were in biotech).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City