U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:34 AM

75 posts, read 287,410 times

Advertisements

Can we please talk about San Diego CA vs. Seattle WA.
I've lived in CA my whole life but am interested in moving out of state.
I grew up in LA and moved to OC in high school and have lived here since.
There are many reasons I want to relocate out of Orange County.
I would like share my list of pros and cons and hear other people's as well. I would like to get the opinions of anyone who has lived in either San Diego or Seattle, as those are the two places Im considering. WA would be my first choice and San Diego is my back up.

Reasons for wanting to leave Orange County:
outrageously overpriced homes/apartment rent
summers get into the 90's and 100's (this summer it was up to 107)
Not many outdoor/nature activities and sight seeing things to do
Have a big bug problem in my area, gnats, cockroaches, spiders, and ants
My husband hasnt been able to find a decent job here in over 2 years
I dont like my job but cant find a better offer in this area
There is no night life, everything is closed by 9 or 10pm
The girls in this area are very snobby and its hard to make any real friends
Its all about money here and fancy cars here and that is not my attitude at all and I dont feel that my husband and I fit in since we are more laid back and down to earth people

Pros of Seattle WA:
higher minimum wage, $8.55 an hour currently
in 2011 the minimum wage goes up to $8.67, making it the highest in the nation
CNN rates Seattle as the strongest economy in the nation
the unemployment rate is about 4% less than San Diego and 6% lower than CA overall
Money Magazine says Bellevue has more jobs than actual residents living there currently
WA doesnt have as hot of summers
It rains a lot, and I love rain
Seattle is so beautiful, the modern buildings and skyline
Seattle has all my favorite places to shop
WA has lots of outdoor things to do
WA has lots of natural beauty
WA has it all, from mountains to ocean to big city
The beach is cool instead of hot (I dont like hot weather)
I have found many 1 bedrooms for as cheap as $700/month
low sales tax (I believe)
some major company headquarters are there and started out there (such as starbucks)
I will have a chance to make new friends
Please add anything else I might have left out!

Cons of Seattle WA (for me):
It snows and I will have to learn to drive in it
possible mosquito problem, from hear say
it will cost a lot to move that far away
dont know the area well enough to say if its as safe a place to live
some people say they get depressed from gray skies there
school cost about $200 more per class than in San Diego
I have read that Seattle gets more humid than San Diego
feel free to add anything I missed...

Pros of San Diego CA:
its closer to move to from OC so it will cost us less to move there
being close to the beach means getting a beach breeze in the summer
cooler summer temperatures than OC
Lots of school options and each class cost the lowest I have seen, about $90 each
Wonderful public transportation, trains and trolleys that run till midnight (OC has horrid public transportation. I dont know the status of WA public transportation)
I can get an okay apartment for $800/month, while the nicer apartments cost $1000 to $1500 (which is still better than OC)

Cons of San Diego CA:
High unemployment rate (even higher than OC)
minimum wage is only $8/hr
the nicer apartments can still be pretty pricey
a lot of the areas are pretty old and run down
I didnt feel as safe there as here in OC
still not many nature sort of things to enjoy except the beach, and I never go to the beach
Not really any beautiful mountains or forest or waterfalls to enjoy (like WA)
I would be right on the Mexico border, and Im not sure I like that
San Diego has been having some bad earthquakes this past year
I dont know if the people are any nicer or less stuck up
When I was there, I was in the college area, but it seemed liked everyone was 16 years old

okay everyone, if you have lived in San Diego or Seattle, please share your pros and cons of either place. And please, no one bash anyone else's opinions or experiences. I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions about these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM

3,593 posts, read 5,840,331 times
San Diego any day, cause I love sunshine.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,350,611 times
Seattlle's heat during the summer is a dry heat and rarley ever goes out of the eighties. If you live in the lowlands Seattle is at sea level we hardly ever get snow if we do its here for a day or two and gone. We had no snow last year its a more mild climate we dont get four seasons more like two or three at most. As for bugs mosquito's are not in the urban areas usualy once you get out in the country they need dead water like ponds to grow. Ive lived here of and on all my life im 20 miles south of seattle and have no bug problems or creepy crawly. The weather is decieving most of are days are partly cloudy with rays of sun. Seattle doesn't even make the list of most depressing cities in the USA. When I lived in Seattle I payed 1000 a month for a large three bedroom with yard in a little bit seedy area columbia city very up and comming lots of new retail and great transportation you wouldnt need a car but like I said it was a little seedy . Now I live south of seatle IN a small city called auburn abot 20 mins from seattle. Its about 700 month starting for a two bedroom in a nice area. Seattle is close to everything yet metropolitan . Downtown Seattles retail scene is own a much larger scale than SanDiego. Seattle does have like a 9.1% sales tax not low . What it does have is no state income tax I dont now about California.I hope this helps you make your choice Seattle is a beautifull city and if you decide to move here will welcome you.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,098,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
San Diego any day, cause I love sunshine.
Yeah really & having the beach is also a plus.

San Diego > Seattle.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 PM

3,593 posts, read 5,840,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah really & having the beach is also a plus.

San Diego > Seattle.
Agreed. San Diego has an incredible climate and up until a few years ago, the quick access to Mexico was superb.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,350,611 times
The beaches are nice in seattle very beautifull but the water is cold in the sound.Seattle is also 30 min from snoqualmie pass in the mountains theres ski resorts. Snoqualmie falls is beautifull also on the way up to the mountains.Its a plus being close to the water and mountains . Theres rumors theres vampires and wharewolfs in the olympics also have not seen any yet its about an hour and a half from Seattle to forks and the Olympic rain forest .

Old 10-30-2010, 04:08 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times
It seems like you're a better fit for Seattle. SD is not OC but shares many similarities and it seems like your Pro's list for Seattle is longer. I'd say get out of CA and live in Seattle, you might end up loving it or it will make you appreciate CA more. Better economy up there too, it's hard to get a good job in SD right now.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:05 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,990,590 times
[quote=uncertain25;16449160]

Cons of Seattle WA (for me):
Quote:
It snows and I will have to learn to drive in it
Not much actually.

Quote:
possible mosquito problem, from hear say
Patently false.

Quote:
dont know the area well enough to say if its as safe a place to live
Generally speaking, it is very safe.

Quote:
some people say they get depressed from gray skies there
Some do. Some don't. Locals don't.

Quote:
I have read that Seattle gets more humid than San Diego
Our humid weather comes in the cooler months. Late October to April. May to Mid October is exceptionally low humidity and quite pleasant.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 PM

75 posts, read 287,410 times
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the input. I know San Diego is sunny but honestly I hate temperatures over 80 and avoid the sun because I dont want wrinkles. My husband and I never go to the beach or lay by the pool. I love the rain and it doesnt bother my husband. A little snow might be nice but not so much that roads are all shut down. Im honestly thinking Seattle is the better choice for me. But please, keep the advice coming!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM

301 posts, read 561,233 times
^ well Seattle is city of its own; San Diego is suburb of L.A where angelinos go to enjoy cute little resort town feel, imo Seattle is better as a city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City