Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose oen
Baltimore 21 14.48%
Washington, D.C. 59 40.69%
Charlotte 18 12.41%
Atlanta 28 19.31%
New Orleans 19 13.10%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM

4,382 posts, read 16,726,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Baltimore is in no way "the South." It has more in common with Philadelphia than Atlanta (and its not all that far from Philly). Maryland may be geographically southern, but it has more in common with PA, NJ, NY than it does with any southern state.

Although I did pick Baltimore, since, being from PA, I'd probably feel most at home there.
Is it geographically southern? When looking on a map it looks far more northern than southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 AM

442 posts, read 824,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Is it geographically southern? When looking on a map it looks far more northern than southern.
Relative to what? Are you talking about the equator?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Look at a US map, sk8t.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:18 PM

31,938 posts, read 34,468,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Things change over time. Washington, D.C. was once considered southern culturally, but it is no longer. Over the past 4 decades or so, it's local culture has transformed to one that is more northern.
So how much more migration does Atlanta need before its local culture transforms into one that is more northern? I feel like half of my graduating high school class currently lives in metro Atlanta. I can find a much better hoagie or cheesesteak down there than I can in DC. Turner Field is a sea of bright Red or Steel Blue if the Phillies or the Yankees are in town. Atlanta is probably sucking more population out of Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Philly and Jersey than any other city. So why wouldn't Atlanta be considered northern now, too? Are my brother and his wife and kids, who all migrated to metro Atlanta, now southerners too? Or are there so many Yanks that Atlanta has been transformed as well, perhaps even more than DC?

Atlanta: Seventh Borough? Or Circle of Hell? -- Daily Intel

New Yorkers Flee City for Atlanta - Gothamist

New Yorkers Bolt for Warmer, Cheaper Atlanta - The city's cheap housing and warm climate attracts northerners

Why Does Relocation to Atlanta Appeal to Many New Yorkers and Californians? (http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Does-Relocation-to-Atlanta-Appeal-to-Many-New-Yorkers-and-Californians?&id=1821427 - broken link)

Metro Atlanta Tops U.S. Population Growth | Planetizen

Mr. Everything Cafe'

Old 11-02-2010, 12:49 PM

871 posts, read 2,240,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So how much more migration does Atlanta need before its local culture transforms into one that is more northern? I feel like half of my graduating high school class currently lives in metro Atlanta. I can find a much better hoagie or cheesesteak down there than I can in DC. Turner Field is a sea of bright Red or Steel Blue if the Phillies or the Yankees are in town. Atlanta is probably sucking more population out of Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Philly and Jersey than any other city. So why wouldn't Atlanta be considered northern now, too? Are my brother and his wife and kids, who all migrated to metro Atlanta, now southerners too? Or are there so many Yanks that Atlanta has been transformed as well, perhaps even more than DC?
yes. that should be quite obvious. the big difference is that DC sits adjacent to the northeast, and thus people can claim that it has simply been enveloped by the northeast region. whereas places like atlanta and miami, while culturally no longer in line with the south's medium and small cities, towns and rural areas, are too isolated from the north to be claimed as part of the northeast. you still will quite often hear people claim things like "atlanta/miami/etc. arent really "southern"", because of the cultural change caused by the migration youve described.

but of course atlanta's culture has been transformed. that should be obvious. DC and ATL are a lot alike in that sense.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:04 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,769,374 times
Quote:
Well, it is south of the Mason-Dixon line, but that's about it.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM

The M-D line was not an official north/south border. Never was, Never will be. Its original purpose was to set official borders of disputed land claims among a few colonies. It simply became a cultural and unofficial reference to north/south border even though Maryland (Delaware, West Virginia, Kentucky too) was always a border state. Today, many government organizations place Maryland And Delaware in the Northeast.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:58 PM

499 posts, read 664,975 times
Quote:
If you think Frederick is southern, please travel to the south. Frederick may as well be in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, from a native of Frederick City, your example of Frederick as southern is actually not working in the favor of your argument. Quite the opposite really.
It's just easier to re-post this. You may not like it but the truth is the truth, Maryland is closer to southern ties than northern. If anything it's just mid-Atlantic which is our own defined region but to say it's like Boston or New York is preposterous.

Were you hibernating all that time?

Let me ask you a question, do you think Frederick and Montgomery counties are equivalents of each other, sharing so many similarities that they could be considered twins?

Frederick is one of the most conservative counties in Maryland, its Maryland's equivalent to Prince William County, Va or Loudon Co, Va.

Here's a few reasons why,

3 of 5 County Commissioners are Republican

"Frederick County is one of the most historically Republican counties in Maryland. It has not voted for a Democrat for president since 1964 when it voted for Lyndon B. Johnson. In 2004 George W. Bush defeated John Kerry 59-39%.[3] In 2008 John McCain defeated Barack Obama 49.62%-48.58% or a margin of 1,157 votes.[4]"

Frederick County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very anti-illegal immigration, Frederick has taken the greatest steps in eliminating this problem, and was one of if not the first Maryland county to participate in the ICE special programs.

They are so sick of Annapolis they even introduced a bill to secede from the state.

They actually did a study to see how much was spent on illegal immigration, especially in public schools.

It's not as southern as a county in Alabama or Arkansas but it is closer to a county in Atlanta than one in Boston. One could even say some counties in Atlanta metro are more "northern" than Frederick.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 PM

Staten Island voted republican in the 2008 elections. What a southern place. I once went there, had sweet tea, grits, and saw so many southern belles it was just caray-zay.

Sorry. Im a local. You will not win this one. Its a northern town. Barbara Fritchie anybody? Please.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 PM

499 posts, read 664,975 times
Quote:
Staten Island voted republican in the 2008 elections. What a southern place. I once went there, had sweet tea, grits, and saw so many southern belles it was just caray-zay.

Sorry. Im a local. You will not win this one. Its a northern town. Barbara Fritchie anybody? Please.
Ya, cause Frederick has an abundant supply of that clam chowder, new york pizza and philly cheesesteakes, you'd fit right into jersey shore.

Staten and Frederick are such mirror images of each other.

Actually you wont win this one either I guess, seeing as you avoided my question. Frederick is more southern than Gwinnet Co. Ga in Atlanta metro lol.

Last edited by TheJetSet; 11-02-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City