Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose oen
Baltimore 21 14.48%
Washington, D.C. 59 40.69%
Charlotte 18 12.41%
Atlanta 28 19.31%
New Orleans 19 13.10%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 PM

175 posts, read 287,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
How does a place "feel" southern? I don't understand this.

Because it does, ATL is the country to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
LOl you are something else.

And yes, D.C. is far more like the south in built environment, from Highways to architecture.
No D.C. has rowhouses and brownstones, no southern city has that. D.C. has the second largest subway system. D.C. is the most educated region of the country. D.C. is diverse and has a strong East Coast influence, as a mattter of fact D.C. is an east coast city, whereas ATL is the south. Now DC's black population may have southern root, they aren't that southern, they have a lot of east coast attributes that you'll find in Philly or NY. At the end of the day, DC is DC. its neither northern or southern. WE are unique, we have the best of both worlds, and thats how we are. I enjoy a homecooked meal but at the sametime I just got a gritty personality. Thats how most DMV (DC MD VA) are....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:04 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
Because it does, ATL is the country to me.

No D.C. has rowhouses and brownstones, no southern city has that. D.C. has the second largest subway system. D.C. is the most educated region of the country. D.C. is diverse and has a strong East Coast influence, as a mattter of fact D.C. is an east coast city, whereas ATL is the south. Now DC's black population may have southern root, they aren't that southern, they have a lot of east coast attributes that you'll find in Philly or NY. At the end of the day, DC is DC. its neither northern or southern. WE are unique, we have the best of both worlds, and thats how we are. I enjoy a homecooked meal but at the sametime I just got a gritty personality. Thats how most DMV (DC MD VA) are....
If Atlanta is the "country" to you, you either live in some alternative universe, or just simply don't get out of your surroundings enough.

And if you think that the black population of D.C. isn't Southern, I simply don't know what to say - except for this, WRONG.

This continual effort by some residents of the D.C. area to totally deny where they actually live is beyond comical. Like it or not, you reside in the SOUTH, no matter how that pains you.

It is impossible to simply erase geography & history, no matter how much you desire to.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:39 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
I agree that Washington, D.C. is a unique city. But I consider it northern largely because of its strong regional connection to the other large northeast cities.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-30-2010 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Charlotte has more in common with the East Coast than the South too.
Um, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, if someone moves to the Washington, D.C.-Baltimore area expecting it's the south, then they're in for a rude surprise! lol.
Agreed. North of DC is the gateway to the north. South of DC is the gateway to the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It is impossible to simply erase geography & history, no matter how much you desire to.
No, but it's possible to progress and evolve culturally. Geographically, DC is in the middle. Not north, and certainly not south. Sorry to break it to ya.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 10-30-2010 at 09:11 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

If Atlanta is the "country" to you, you either live in some alternative universe, or just simply don't get out of your surroundings enough.

And if you think that the black population of D.C. isn't Southern, I simply don't know what to say - except for this, WRONG.

This continual effort by some residents of the D.C. area to totally deny where they actually live is beyond comical. Like it or not, you reside in the SOUTH, no matter how that pains you.

Sorry, John. You can deny locals their identity all you would like but it is worthless and futile.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
DC or Baltimore.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
My first choice would be to move to Austin because it seems relatively bohemian and has lowish crime which are things I look for in a city. Of the ones on the list probably Atlanta first and then New Orleans.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:08 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
I picked DC. . . because it's probably the most northern/NYC-ish of the bunch. Downtown anyways.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,130 times
id pick DC/BALT because they're basically northern cities. only thing southern about them is their position relative to the mason-dixon line.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Baltimores the south?? I was just there this summer to visit family and it felt NOTHING like ye ol' south! It's 100% east coast.. might as well call Philly southern too then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City