Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
The reason why the cost of living is so low in Saint Louis is because hardly anyone's making any money because there's so little opportunity..

When you have more opportunity for advancement then yes, the stakes are higher.
you don't know what you're talking about. please stop. you're embarrassing yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I would rather be an average joe in St. Louis than Chicago, because you just get more bang for your buck.
Yes, but your average joes are our poor people. If I'm still broke as hell when I'm past 30, I just might quit the rat race and try to get a really nice but cheap ass place down in Saint Louis. Maybe. It's hard to say right now but I'm just speaking hypothetically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I meet a crap load of transplanted Chicagoans everyday that love St. Louis. Life is just easier here and you don't have to sacrifice having cultural amenities.
No, you but you still have to sacrifice having a lot of the cultural amenities available in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you don't know what you're talking about. please stop. you're embarrassing yourself.
No counter-argument but just a personal attack and childish taunt. Gotta love the internet.

Actually, you're embarrassing yourself because I love Saint Louis and can't wait to go again to see a Chicago transplant and friend of mine who lives there. I've already talked about this very Chicago Vs Saint Louis issue in real life and not on City-Data.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 AM

i don't want to make this a chicago vs. st. louis contest, but i just need to call it like it is. chicago certainly has abundance that no other midwest city can compete with. however, i'd really like to know what all this "culture" is that you'd have to sacrifice if you lived in st. louis. i don't feel like i'm missing anything i was used to in philadelphia now that i'm living in st. louis. it has everything in one form or another for the most part. i agree chicago definitely has the whole comedy/improv scene, but as for other culture and amenities, please fill me in.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
i don't want to make this a chicago vs. st. louis contest, but i just need to call it like it is. chicago certainly has abundance that no other midwest city can compete with. however, i'd really like to know what all this "culture" is that you'd have to sacrifice if you lived in st. louis. i don't feel like i'm missing anything i was used to in philadelphia now that i'm living in st. louis. it has everything in one form or another for the most part. i agree chicago definitely has the whole comedy/improv scene, but as for other culture and amenities, please fill me in.
You know what? I didn't recognize your username at first and that's why I replied to you. But then I went into my inbox and remembered who you were. I won't be responding to any future comments from you in this thread regarding Chicago or Saint Louis. Buzz off. I'm surprised some moderater hasn't banned you yet.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 AM

how mature. i don't even know what you're talking about. most of what you say is rooted in generalizations and not reality. you can take your toys and play with someone else if you want to.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
how mature. i don't even know what you're talking about.
Look in your inbox then. You sent me a message titled Your Ignorance a couple months ago and there's a few replies back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel
tall buildings do not make a city great. look at europe. oh wait, you probably have never been to europe since they don't have gamestops there.
Real mature. That's the body of a message in my inbox, btw.

Quote:
you can take your toys and play with someone else if you want to.
I already know what a "debate" about THIS VERY SUBJECT MATTER with you looks like and I'd rather not deal with that headache again. I am more than willing to chat more with Goat314 though.

Last edited by urza216; 11-01-2010 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Everybody that wakes up in the morning and puts on their clothes has the opportunity to go out and make a living any way they choose. The only limit a person has is the limit they put on themselves. No pretense here, just facts. A person looking for others just like themselves are putting their own limits on themselves. Things will not change for them until they change the way they think.
Even someone born yesterday shouldn't be as naive as you are.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:35 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
For smaller cities, I'll throw in:

Des Moines
Fargo
Madison, WI
Marshall, MN
Mankato
Rochester, MN
Cedar Rapids
Iowa City
Lincoln, NE

All of these cities have good economies (as good as is possible today) with low unemployment, and offer a slower lifestyle than places like the Twin Cities and Chicago. None of these cities have large black populations, but all are highly integrated, "colorblind" cities.
I wouldn't go as far as "colorblind", but some of these cities have more of a "liberal" tag due to a major college/university presence. Those institutions also have a huge impact on the economies of those cities.

Out of these mentioned, Des Moines, Madison and to some degree Iowa City and Cedar Rapids have enough of a Black community in concentrated areas to have some impact on the area at large.

A surprise could be St. Louis, which is a metro of about 4 million. It has a high Black population as well.

Another sleeper could be Cincinnati, which has some middle class areas with high Black populations.

Personally, Columbus OH seems to be a city on the rise and a city where Black folks have quite a bit influence. It has a mostly Black city council, a Black mayor, a Black school superintendant and Black folks live throughout the area. Ohio State, the country's biggest college/university is located there. So, it is an area with a highly educated population in percentage. It also is known for being good for interracial couples too. People also forget that 2 Historically Black colleges are close by in Central State and Wilberforce.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:20 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you will start considering yourself an American, which city you choose should not matter.
Here we go again.

The man asked a question, not for a lecture.

As far as this thread goes it has to be Chicago.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:16 AM

355 posts, read 911,497 times
Anyone care to give reasons as to why Indy is becoming viewed as a place for black folks to succeed. Is it mainly due to the fact that lately pretty much anyone not just black folks can be successful here? Or is it soemthing specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City