Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 AM

355 posts, read 907,153 times

Advertisements

And is this view held by many people in our city and outside of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,000,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
Anyone care to give reasons as to why Indy is becoming viewed as a place for black folks to succeed. Is it mainly due to the fact that lately pretty much anyone not just black folks can be successful here? Or is it soemthing specifically?
1) The city historically had one of the highest percentages of blacks in any Northern city
2) Large middle-class black population on the north side (which is considered the best side of town)
3) Well-integrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
And is this view held by many people in our city and outside of it?
When I lived there, it seemed that the black community was very vibrant, with the various cultural events and whatnot.

Unfortunately, I'd say that the majority of people in Indiana perceive the black community in Indy (and sometimes the entire city) along the lines of a Gary or Detroit.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,527,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
yet most blacks in Chicago are not living like Oprah and Barrack
The vast majority of people in the world are not living like Oprah and Obama.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:43 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,527,747 times
I'd say that Minneapolis would be the best bet.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:50 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,343,833 times
Chicago and Minneapolis

Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,881,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The vast majority of people in the world are not living like Oprah and Obama.
Very true, somewhere around 99.99999% of the people in the world aren't living like Oprah or Obama lol.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,218,945 times
I'd say Chicago, first of all. It's like the NYC of the midwest. And it's always been a locus of opportunity, for African American professionals.

You might also consider the Twin Cities. It's not a city with a huge population of African Americans. But it's more liberal than most other midwestern cities, and the African American population there, is increasing. And it does have much to do, and a fair number of jobs. You'll have to like cold winters if you live there. They're BRUTAL!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 AM

976 posts, read 2,231,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I'd say Chicago, first of all. It's like the NYC of the midwest. And it's always been a locus of opportunity, for African American professionals.

You might also consider the Twin Cities. It's not a city with a huge population of African Americans. But it's more liberal than most other midwestern cities, and the African American population there, is increasing. And it does have much to do, and a fair number of jobs. You'll have to like cold winters if you live there. They're BRUTAL!
i'd be interested to see where you get your facts, because i don't believe that minneapolis is more liberal than cities like st. louis and detroit, each of which have among the highest percentages of democratic voters in the united states. any source for your "fact"?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,785,873 times
The Green Party has held seats on the Minneapolis city council for the last 10 years. I don't think that is the case in Detroit or St Louis. Democrat doesn't necessarily equal liberal.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM

976 posts, read 2,231,152 times
^true, although i'd still like to see where he's getting his information. i can only find this ranking of liberal/conservative cities and both st. louis and detroit rank as being more liberal than minneapolis. if there is another ranking out there, please post. minneapolis may be perceived to be more liberal than most midwest cities, but that is not necessarily rooted in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City