U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:13 AM

9 posts, read 6,944 times
Default Seattle, LA or Austin

Hi everyone,

I'll be starting my college years probably in one of the cities mentioned above. I'm wondering what you think about all cities and the culture. As I'm an international student, I haven't had the chance to visit the cities so therefore I'm here. All three universities are ranked around the same level so its basically comes down to the cities.

I have done a little research and I'm wondering if there are enough things to do in Austin but I could be mistaking of course. Also, I won't be taking a car with me so I'll have to rely on public transport and friends who will have a car there.

I hope you guys can help me making a decision, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 AM

272 posts, read 495,894 times
If I were choosing:
1. Seattle
2. Austin
3. I am not a fan of LA
But, my advice to you is to pick the school that you like best and worry about the area around it later.
All three can be nice.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:44 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,240,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdirks View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be starting my college years probably in one of the cities mentioned above. I'm wondering what you think about all cities and the culture. As I'm an international student, I haven't had the chance to visit the cities so therefore I'm here. All three universities are ranked around the same level so its basically comes down to the cities.

I have done a little research and I'm wondering if there are enough things to do in Austin but I could be mistaking of course. Also, I won't be taking a car with me so I'll have to rely on public transport and friends who will have a car there.

Well, I was once a student in Austin, and I can assure you, there are PLENTY of things to do there! Lots of students, plus it's the state capital, has a vibrant music scene, many outdoor activities...On top of that, it is one of the friendliest cities I have ever lived in, with a fascinating mix of liberal and conservative, good-old-boys and intellectuals, rural and urban surroundings. Lovely countryside, not too big, not too small. If one could "go home again", I would return in a heartbeat - but that doesn't work in real life. So I just treasure the memories...

Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 AM

216 posts, read 377,739 times
What country are you coming from? If you are east asian, Seattle or L.A. would probably be easier to assimilate to. Without a car, L.A. might be pretty tough to live in though....

Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 AM

53 posts, read 81,291 times
I've lived in all three of those cities, so here's some advice.

You can forget about public transportation in L.A. right now. The city is huge and the buses don't come frequently enough to meet the city's demands. Seattle and Austin don't have particularly great public transportation either, but at least they're both smaller cities, so you won't have as long to sit on the bus.

People are very nice in both Seattle and Austin. Both have a lot of fun things to do for young people. Plenty of outdoor activities. Music scene is good in both, but it's huge in Austin. Food/beer scene is much better in Seattle.

Personally, I think the biggest advantage of choosing Seattle over Austin is that you don't have to live with the shame of knowing you live in Texas. Austin is very cool, but take one step outside the city limits and you're in Dubya's world.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 AM

4,976 posts, read 5,113,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdirks View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be starting my college years probably in one of the cities mentioned above. I'm wondering what you think about all cities and the culture. As I'm an international student, I haven't had the chance to visit the cities so therefore I'm here. All three universities (USC in LA) are ranked around the same level so its basically comes down to the cities.

Skip Seattle. An international student should not have to put up with so much rain and grey first coming to America. Not the best impression. You should see the best America has to offer. I recommend Austin or California. That's entirely up to you. I've been to Austin a few times and it's a GREAT city. Texas is a great state as a whole for international students. So is California. But I guess it depends on what your priorities are. Do you plan on going to the beach often or on the weekends? Do you plan on going mountain hiking or bike riding? Do you like a clubbing nightlife or music-oriented nightlife? How much diversity do you like or does it not matter? Does sitting in traffic for over an hour bother you? Does smog bother you? Do you mind paying almost $2000 for an apartment? If so, yes, for all these things, you should go to LA. If not, enjoy Austin!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:27 AM

191 posts, read 313,890 times
Austin. You get the culture plus a cheaper cost of leaving compared to Seattle. Austin also has a great night life (6th Ave or is it St.?), where Seattle tends to... you know...not. Once you are out of college and looking to settle into a family-unit then Seattle.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:50 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,240,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Austin. You get the culture plus a cheaper cost of leaving compared to Seattle. Austin also has a great night life (6th Ave or is it St.?), where Seattle tends to... you know...not. Once you are out of college and looking to settle into a family-unit then Seattle.
Good points. I hadn't even thought of the cost of living!
Also, OP, Los Angeles is a fabulous place to VISIT while you're in school elsewhere...

Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 PM

181 posts, read 358,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
Austin also has a great night life (6th Ave or is it St.?), where Seattle tends to... you know...not. Once you are out of college and looking to settle into a family-unit then Seattle.
Really? Austin has 6th Street. Pretty cool the first couple times I went but quickly loses its charm. It's just a couple block longer than "The Ave" in Seattle and contains twice as many meat-heads and the same number of transient riff-raff. 6th Street does have *a lot* of music coming from just about every other bar - whether that music is good or not, is debatable. And public transportation in Austin is a joke - ask anyone who lives there.

Seattle on the other hand has Capitol Hill, Belltown, Pioneer Square, Ballard, Fremont, the U District and a couple other cool neighborhoods for night life/partying.

You sure you've been to Seattle and experienced night life?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:53 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,100,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WikiAdam View Post
Personally, I think the biggest advantage of choosing Seattle over Austin is that you don't have to live with the shame of knowing you live in Texas. Austin is very cool, but take one step outside the city limits and you're in Dubya's world.
Ok, now that's damned funny. And sadly it is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City