U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should I Stay in NoVA or Move to Pittsburgh? Why?
Pittsburgh 37 61.67%
NoVA 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 PM

15,292 posts, read 11,972,071 times

Advertisements

Like that saying from years ago........"Go West young man"....even if it's only a few hundred miles further West.....I think you'll be happier......remember Pittsburgh is like a larger version of Scranton but with better employment opportunities and I think I remember reading you already found a job prospect in Pittsburgh and it consistently ranks in the top 10 for quality of living parameters.
In Depth: America's Most Livable Cities - 10. Pittsburgh, Pa. - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,281,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
It's not that "you are not getting" it. It's that different people like different things. Like it or not, this area appeals to some people. It doesn't appeal to you and that's more than fine. It makes sense for you to move to an area that would be a better fit for you. Obviously, Pittsburgh seems to me a much better place for you than here. One can't make a general statement that Pittsburgh is a better place for everyone, just the same as one can't make that statement for NOVA. Just because some people prefer NOVA to Pittsburgh doesn't mean you are missing anything.
Seems simple enough, huh?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,281,016 times
RR,
When does your new job begin?

People recommended that you share a house in DC or Arlington because you didn't want to remain in Reston! People tried to help you to get out of Reston because you hate it. Yet you, inexplicably, chose to sign another year's lease, in a worse section of of the area that you despise, Reston.

BTW, will that lease be a problem when you move? Is there a penalty for breaking the lease?

Please take your time in finding a place in Pittsburgh so that you can live in any area that you like more than Reston.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 PM

510 posts, read 586,259 times
I take it back (about this thread's existence not needed anymore since everyone told you that moving to P'burgh's the right thing to do). I just looked at the vote - which I hadn't - and saw it was close. I personally think people just voted for NOVA to have some fun. I think anyone familiar with all your posts and how you are so unhappy/miserable here, etc. - would not recommend you stay here any longer. That would be foolish in the extreme.

You're not answering questions asked of you anyway, and instead blast people for what they say on here.

Last edited by ngadude; 11-04-2010 at 08:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
"Politely" disagreeing? Okay, ngadude. Please pass along some of that Kool-Aid you're drinking as I've sensed a lot of down-talking and hostility towards me in this thread---not "politeness".

Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM

510 posts, read 586,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
"Politely" disagreeing? Okay, ngadude. Please pass along some of that Kool-Aid you're drinking as I've sensed a lot of down-talking and hostility towards me in this thread---not "politeness".
Show me where I've been impolite. You are the one who is being hostile.

On second thought, never mind - it's not worth my wasting this time further on this now useless thread, since it's been derailed with comments about people needing to get laid, people drinking kool-aid, etc.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 PM

9,994 posts, read 8,492,295 times
Is something making you have second thoughts and question whether Pittsburgh may actually be a step down from where you're living now? Are you open to discussing this with anyone?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,395,897 times
I think you should just call it a day and move back to your roots in the lovely Scranton/Wilkes Barre/Nanticoke megalopolis. You could always go up to Binghamton for a taste of "City Life" if need be.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,395,897 times
I honestly don't think you will be very happy until you get into therapy, imo.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,210,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Seriously? You don't think I have a right to defend myself against that level of noticeable "politeness" (including DMs I've just received?!) This is yet another classic example of slanted moderation on City-Data. People can gang up on me with rude remarks, and then when I defend myself I'm the one given the "time-out." It's happened time after time on the NoVA sub-forum as well.
Given your too-numerous-to-count posts in which you've gone on about why you detest NoVa, and your more recent posts singing the praises of Pittsburgh, I think it would require an extraordinarily difficult suspension of disbelief to read your original post as anything other than a thinly veiled attempt to see if you could jazz up a few more people to dump on NoVa.

You've already put in the transfer request to Pittsburgh and had it approved. It's time to call the movers and send us a postcard from Mt. Washington when you arrive, not ask folks to talk you out of your decision. It may be just what you need or it may turn out that it's not, but you won't know until you give it a try. RTC, Lake Anne Plaza and Macaroni Grill will likely still all be here if you decide in a few years Reston wasn't so bad after all.

Last edited by JEB77; 11-04-2010 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City