U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boston not by far and away the Education Capital of America?
Yes it is! 26 68.42%
No its not! 12 31.58%
Other Option 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:06 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,386,465 times

Advertisements

Both lists contain schools producing quality graduates. Anybody who goes to any of the schools listed will get a great education. The point is that there are differing criteria that will generate different rankings. I would expect anybody considering a choice of universities to establish their own criteria that may or may not match that of one of these rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM

12,824 posts, read 16,812,988 times
Pittsburgh is the clear winner on a per capita basis.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM

I like how the highest-ranking university with a state's name in it is in Pennsylvania.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,424,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Those practically are the main ones, not to say other places don't have good schools because they do, Houston, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Miami, Denver, Austin all boost some really top schools. But they don't have enough of the good schools to match the ones above on a larger scale.

Yeah I never really leave my poll closed, I leave it open so it can be seen who votes for what and how.

There are other rankings, specifically if you want to get into departments and where each school specializes in, but yeah that's a different matter.
I'd replace Denver with Minneapolis - St. Paul.

Atlanta is the educational capital of the U.S.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
To be frank I'm not really a state type of person. I normally go off cities and their respective metropolitan areas directly. Sometimes one can wonder when you live in such a vast and expansive state or in the Northeast about how much the rest of the state really even matters.

I would say the in terms of education the line up for the metropolitan areas would be as such:

01. Boston
02. Bay Area
03. Chicago
04. New York City
05. Los Angeles
06. Philadelphia
07. Washington DC-Baltimore
08. Atlanta
09. Research Triangle

Those practically are the main ones, not to say other places don't have good schools because they do, Houston, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Miami, Denver, Austin all boost some really top schools. But they don't have enough of the good schools to match the ones above on a larger scale.

Yeah I never really leave my poll closed, I leave it open so it can be seen who votes for what and how.

There are other rankings, specifically if you want to get into departments and where each school specializes in, but yeah that's a different matter.
I think you're underrating Philadelphia a tad, considering they have an Ivy League school with the University of Pennsylvania, plus other good schools, including, but not limited to, Temple and Villanova.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM

10,171 posts, read 11,977,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I think you're underrating Philadelphia a tad, considering they have an Ivy League school with the University of Pennsylvania, plus other good schools, including, but not limited to, Temple and Villanova.
Nah I wasn't ranking them besides the first two, I was just trying to point out the 9 metropolitan areas that stand out above the others.
I can see my post went the wrong way though, I've never thought in detail about what can rank from 3-6 before. It's a close fight for that spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Atlanta is the educational capital of the U.S.
Indeed it is.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:25 PM

531 posts, read 932,934 times
i don't get the 'atlanta is the educational capital of the U.S.' thing? is this an inside joke or something?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM

10,171 posts, read 11,977,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
i don't get the 'atlanta is the educational capital of the U.S.' thing? is this an inside joke or something?
When I agreed with BlackOut, I thought about this thread from the past: Top 5 Educational Capitals of the Nation

I'm sure like me, he was just kidding as well. I give Boston the Education Capital of the country, easily. Followed by Bay Area.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM

531 posts, read 932,934 times
lmao I sure hope so. but yeah, it's pretty much indisputable that Boston wins this one.

If anyone truly believes Atlanta is the educational capital of the nation, please speak up now so I can add you to my ignore list. thanks in advance!

Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,474,660 times
I'd say the state of Connecticut is the education capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or