U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:48 PM

606 posts, read 2,735,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just curious why you think Seattle has "more attractions", "things to do" and "skyline"? All 3 of which Seattle has less of....
it's skyline is more unique, chicago has box skyscrapers. and Mt. Rainer, really makes Seattle a stand out city. the space needle, seafirst center, both great buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,670,995 times
What about public transportation in Seattle?

Old 07-23-2007, 05:32 PM

333 posts, read 1,312,710 times
the *most* i would concede is that the two skylines are a "draw", and that would only be if you let seattle's scenic backdrop factor in to compete with chicago's bigger skyline and eclectic mix of architecture. modernism was indeed big here, but that certainly ain't all chicago has.

chicago definitely has more things to do in terms of urban amenities and attractions. obviously chicago can't match seattle when it comes to some outdoor amenities.

i think seattle is great for being a thriving city with good outdoor opportunities, and that's the sort of compromise i value most. but chicago is as urban as it gets in the u.s. short of nyc, and many other cities are just going to fall short in that particular respect.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,003,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke66 View Post
it's skyline is more unique, chicago has box skyscrapers. and Mt. Rainer, really makes Seattle a stand out city. the space needle, seafirst center, both great buildings.
Outside the Space Needle, Seattle is nothing but box skyscrapers too. And Chicago's architecture is vastly more superior than Seattle's. You name the style, Chicago has it.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 PM

1,134 posts, read 857,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Outside the Space Needle, Seattle is nothing but box skyscrapers too. And Chicago's architecture is vastly more superior than Seattle's. You name the style, Chicago has it.
That's true. You can literally feel the architectural structural feel of the Hancock! I'd love to rock back and forth in the wind of that baby! Those criss-cross struts! Ahhhggg....

Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 AM

20,005 posts, read 68,003,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
That's true. You can literally feel the architectural structural feel of the Hancock! I'd love to rock back and forth in the wind of that baby! Those criss-cross struts! Ahhhggg....
Its a nice looking building and has served it purpose 100%. ALL buildings sway in the wind.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 PM

333 posts, read 1,312,710 times
hancock is a beautiful building.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:51 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,608,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke66 View Post
chicago has box skyscrapers. and Mt. Rainer, really makes Seattle a stand out city.
Sorry, nothing can compare to the Sears Tower--the tallest building in the United States--not even Mt. Rainer. The Loop and the Near North Side skyscrapers are like mountains next to the beach. Chicago also has the Merchandise Mart--the largest building after the Pentagon.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,642,682 times
The Merchandise Mart makes me crazy, it is huge and impossible to navigate. I have to go there a lot and I always dread it.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:27 PM

606 posts, read 2,735,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Sorry, nothing can compare to the Sears Tower--the tallest building in the United States--not even Mt. Rainer. The Loop and the Near North Side skyscrapers are like mountains next to the beach. Chicago also has the Merchandise Mart--the largest building after the Pentagon.
even though I couldn't careless about chicago, I really like the Sears Tower and the Hancock building and the towers along a beach like strip. near the hancock building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or