Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah they've been doing video games for awhile with things like EA. Chicago used to be big with arcade games (i.e. Midway). I never meant that LA doesn't have a community. I just meant that it's not on the same level as SF, NYC, or the Boston area, and Seattle.

Overall though, at least last year - Chicago and LA raised about the same amount of money with their startups. $1 billion

Infographic: Over $1B Raised in 2013 by Los Angeles Startups | TechZuluTechZulu
Chicago startups raised more than $1 billion in 2013 venture funding - Blue Sky Innovation
This is ignoring OC, which is part of the metro. It received $750 billion in funding that year. That puts LA comfortably ahead of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
$750 Billion? I believe you meant Million. Silicon Valley raised $32 Billion a few years ago for tech startups. There's no way in ****ing hell that Orange County raised over 20X what the bay area did.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
$750 Billion? I believe you meant Million. Silicon Valley raised $32 Billion a few years ago for tech startups. There's no way in ****ing hell that Orange County raised over 20X what the bay area did.
My mistake, I meant million.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,641,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
^This. So many video game development studios here. I'm randomly met more people in that industry than I have in TV/film since moving to LA. Apparently LA is the #2 job market for game developers in the country after SF:

Top North American Cities for Game Development | GameJobHunter Blog

No other cities come close to SF and LA in the ranking.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

^This. So many video game development studios here. I'm randomly met more people in that industry than I have in TV/film since moving to LA. Apparently LA is the #2 job market for game developers in the country after SF:

Top North American Cities for Game Development | GameJobHunter Blog

No other cities come close to SF and LA in the ranking.
My friend works in video game development in the Bay and spends like 1/3 of his time down here. Definitely a big industry.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
Am I the only one who senses an inferiority complex from Chicago posters?
If I lived in Chicago I'd have a complex too. Its an amazing city on many fronts and does seem to get glossed more often than it deserves. I definitely put it in the alpha city category with LA and NYC, no question.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
My friend works in video game development in the Bay and spends like 1/3 of his time down here. Definitely a big industry.
I'm still trying to figure out how to scheme my way into E3. Its frustrating to see everyone in that industry descend on DTLA every year and get to check out upcoming games while us plebes have to wait another year for them to come out.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I for one don't want to see tech become a dominant industry in LA. Look at how techies are ruining San Francisco as they migrate from San Jose to the city.
LA will never get as bad as SF as not only is LA not restricted by being surrounded by water on 3 sides, but LA is creating entire communities (e.g Playa Vista) for the tech community. Combine that with offices/Apts being built in Hollywood and DTLA and we have a Tech community that is not really putting pressure on home or apt prices.

Santa Monica/ Venice on the other hand will be a mini-San Francisco.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
I just hope not to see anything like this in LA

The Tech Party So Obnoxious It Doesn't Seem Real

Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
LA will never get as bad as SF as not only is LA not restricted by being surrounded by water on 3 sides, but LA is creating entire communities (e.g Playa Vista) for the tech community. Combine that with offices/Apts being built in Hollywood and DTLA and we have a Tech community that is not really putting pressure on home or apt prices.

Santa Monica/ Venice on the other hand will be a mini-San Francisco.
Yeah Silicon Beach is for real, from Santa Monica to Playa Vista.

And yes I am very jealous of my friend that got to "test out" the PS4 months before its release. I suppose that makes up for the constant cross-state plane trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City