Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 05:22 PM

32 posts, read 46,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
My friend works in video game development in the Bay and spends like 1/3 of his time down here. Definitely a big industry.
Techies ruining SF? Lame post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:43 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont66 View Post
What's lame about it?

Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 PM

147 posts, read 147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
The thing is that nobody did. Some people do not see a difference between "LA is more significant to the economy than Chicago" with "Chicagonis not significant to the us economy". Clear straw man here lol
There is no arguing that LA is very significant to the US economy but Chicago is very important to not only the US economy but the world economy as well. If Chicago markets fail then the prices of food dramatically increase and markets would go out of business due to not being able to afford food to sell. I will say it again we need raw materials and food WWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYY more than we need Hollywood. LA did something very, very risky when putting all of their eggs in one basket with Hollywood. It is a very slippery slope because that industry could pack up and move at any given point. I mean look at Detroit its manufacturing industry failed and now look at it. Just a couple months ago the mayor of Hollywood declared a state of emergency because actors were leaving. That is meant only for serious natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina or anarchy like the looting in New Orleans in the aftermath of the storm. In any other US city that would not happen because the economy is diversified so when one industry fails then another one pops up to replace it. What I am saying is to call Chicago insignificant is foolish and makes you sound uneducated. I like Chicago because you actually have to look into the city to understand it. The prime reason LA is even relevant is because of media shoving it down everybody's throats all the time.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prarie State View Post
There is no arguing that LA is very significant to the US economy but Chicago is very important to not only the US economy but the world economy as well. If Chicago markets fail then the prices of food dramatically increase and markets would go out of business due to not being able to afford food to sell. I will say it again we need raw materials and food WWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYY more than we need Hollywood. LA did something very, very risky when putting all of their eggs in one basket with Hollywood. It is a very slippery slope because that industry could pack up and move at any given point. I mean look at Detroit its manufacturing industry failed and now look at it. Just a couple months ago the mayor of Hollywood declared a state of emergency because actors were leaving. That is meant only for serious natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina or anarchy like the looting in New Orleans in the aftermath of the storm. In any other US city that would not happen because the economy is diversified so when one industry fails then another one pops up to replace it. What I am saying is to call Chicago insignificant is foolish and makes you sound uneducated. I like Chicago because you actually have to look into the city to understand it. The prime reason LA is even relevant is because of media shoving it down everybody's throats all the time.
Two questions:

Hollywood does not have a mayor, but do you really think the losing of actors has caused Los Angeles and/or Hollywood to declare an official "state of emergency"?

Entertainment comprises what percentage of Los Angeles' economic output?

Last edited by nslander; 03-31-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM

147 posts, read 147,585 times
[quote=PerseusVeil;31700593]I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

New York is going to have all of its bases covered, but Los Angeles does not. The glitz and glamour of Hollywood does not readily translate to more amenities open to the average resident or visitor.

That is exactly what I have been saying celebrities do not offer more amenities. IMO real culture is a tradition of a nationality like Day of the Dead for Mexicans.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
[quote=Prarie State;34126321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

New York is going to have all of its bases covered, but Los Angeles does not. The glitz and glamour of Hollywood does not readily translate to more amenities open to the average resident or visitor.

That is exactly what I have been saying celebrities do not offer more amenities. IMO real culture is a tradition of a nationality like Day of the Dead for Mexicans.
Good point. Los Angeles does Dio de Los Muertos better than either NY or CHI.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont66 View Post
I was in the Mission last week. Everyone I talked to (admittedly a bunch of hipster who are probably just as guilty) complained about the 'Google Glass Crowd' taking over and ruining the city.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
The entertainment industry is like 10 percent of the Southland's economic output. LA actually has a pretty diverse economy. The exodus of the aerospace industry was a bigger deal than any runaway production.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The entertainment industry is like 10 percent of the Southland's economic output.
Source?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Yeah, the entertainment is our most famous industry, but in reality it's a pretty small part. The economy here is very diverse and one can easily get into industries that has absolutely nothing to do with entertainment. I work in the nut industry and my company sells pistachios and almonds. So much glitz and glamour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City