U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 PM
 
531 posts, read 570,128 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think it's a little bit much to say the the Blue Line is a light rail system...but either way, I showed you that the ridership stats would be around 429,000 a day, not 379,000.

As it was noted earlier, the Green Line aren't included in any of these stats...if it were, the daily ridership of Boston would top 737,000. Interestingly enough, Boston's Green Line gets roughly the same number of daily riders as Atlanta's entire MARTA rail system.

MARTA's total ridership is EXTREMELY impressive, so if the green line alone is anywhere near Atlanta's total, that is absolutely insane. Although, I wouldn't be surprised--the other day I had to wait for 3 different trains to go by at symphony station before one had enough room for me and ONE other person to get on it. It was obnoxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2010, 01:59 PM
 
531 posts, read 570,128 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
As far as train systems in other Sunbelt cities West and South (plus Seattle and Portland) go: No.

When you add L.A.'s bus system though (which is actually quite extensive and does a better job than people give it credit for) then it surpasses Atlanta, but it's safe to say that Atlanta has the best overall transit system of all the Sunbelt cities. For example, this is ALL of MARTA and does not include the three suburban bus systems that are run separately, but connect to MARTA:
wow...it's really cool to see such a complete system outside of the few obvious cities.

in terms of rail alone, Atlanta would be far superior to LA though, right?

does Houston have a decent rail system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
 
Location: São Paulo
6,257 posts, read 7,111,655 times
Reputation: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
MARTA's total ridership is EXTREMELY impressive, so if the green line alone is anywhere near Atlanta's total, that is absolutely insane. Although, I wouldn't be surprised--the other day I had to wait for 3 different trains to go by at symphony station before one had enough room for me and ONE other person to get on it. It was obnoxious.
According to the APTA website:

MARTA: 246,000 daily riders

Boston's Green Line: 241,100

I agree about the Green Line...I actually like to be on a train with a bunch of people, but sometimes it sucks when your is literally pressed up against the door because it's so packed.

I remember one day I saw some people from Oklahoma (They were totally decked out in OU Sooners gear) talking about how crowded the train was...but there was actually a seat or two available...I wanted to tell them they had no idea what "crowded" was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,401 posts, read 6,225,042 times
Reputation: 3572
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
MARTA's total ridership is EXTREMELY impressive, so if the green line alone is anywhere near Atlanta's total, that is absolutely insane. Although, I wouldn't be surprised--the other day I had to wait for 3 different trains to go by at symphony station before one had enough room for me and ONE other person to get on it. It was obnoxious.
It says a lot for implementing Light Rail correctly. Boston, Philly and San Fran all do a great job using LRT to augment subway service instead of replacing it totally. Because of this, their LRT systems have extremely high ridership:

San Fran Muni: 154,000 daily ridership
Boston Green Line: 241,000 daily ridership
SEPTA Subway-Surface: 87,000 daily ridership

It also must be noted that each of those cities has extremely high population densities in neighborhoods those lines serve, but if you look at cities where they went with just LRT tech (I understand the cost angle), their daily ridership numbers are anemic in comparison:

Phoenix: 39,000 daily ridership
Dallas: 58,000 daily ridership
Houston: 34,000

Granted, those above systems are relatively new and the population densities half of what they are in Boston, San Fran, or Philly, but when you see Atlanta having fairly similar daily subway ridership in the same league as Philly and San Francisco, it proves that having a central subway is invaluable towards driving ridership on other forms of transit in a city.

That's why i'm really excited about the Beltline and streetcar projects (which we just got Federal funding for. woot! ) here as they will only add to the over all transit numbers. I can see a day in 15 or 20 years where MARTA is getting over 500k daily riders on it's train lines once those projects are complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: São Paulo
6,257 posts, read 7,111,655 times
Reputation: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
wow...it's really cool to see such a complete system outside of the few obvious cities.

in terms of rail alone, Atlanta would be far superior to LA though, right?

does Houston have a decent rail system?
I'd give Atlanta the edge on LA at the moment...they have a higher ridership number, but they seem similar in terms of rail coverage. Los Angeles is also undergoing massive expansion of their subway if I'm not mistaken.

Houston's rail system is pathetic, though they are expanding to a less-pathetic level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,401 posts, read 6,225,042 times
Reputation: 3572
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd give Atlanta the edge on LA at the moment...they have a higher ridership number, but they seem similar in terms of rail coverage. Los Angeles is also undergoing massive expansion of their subway if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, I certainly give props to L.A.'s expansion plans as they are pretty ballsy and by far the most ambitious subway expansion plans in the country at the moment. We have them for now, but once they get the new additions to the system built they'll probably have Boston or Chicago level daily ridership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:19 PM
 
531 posts, read 570,128 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It says a lot for implementing Light Rail correctly. Boston, Philly and San Fran all do a great job using LRT to augment subway service instead of replacing it totally. Because of this, their LRT systems have extremely high ridership:

San Fran Muni: 154,000 daily ridership
Boston Green Line: 241,000 daily ridership
SEPTA Subway-Surface: 87,000 daily ridership

It also must be noted that each of those cities has extremely high population densities in neighborhoods those lines serve, but if you look at cities where they went with just LRT tech (I understand the cost angle), their daily ridership numbers are anemic in comparison:

Phoenix: 39,000 daily ridership
Dallas: 58,000 daily ridership
Houston: 34,000

Granted, those above systems are relatively new and the population densities half of what they are in Boston, San Fran, or Philly, but when you see Atlanta having fairly similar daily subway ridership in the same league as Philly and San Francisco, it proves that having a central subway is invaluable towards driving ridership on other forms of transit in a city.

That's why i'm really excited about the Beltline and streetcar projects (which we just got Federal funding for. woot! ) here as they will only add to the over all transit numbers. I can see a day in 15 or 20 years where MARTA is getting over 500k daily riders on it's train lines once those projects are complete.


very interesting post. all points seem valid.

again, as someone who has spent a lot of time criticizing ATL's, i think it's only fair that i give them credit where credit is due; and they certainly deserve a LOT of credit in this department. ATL seems to be the only 'newer' city that has got the rail trans. thing right (as a whole). and this definitely mitigates the severity of the 'sprawl' issues I have drilled the city for.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 11-08-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
 
Location: São Paulo
6,257 posts, read 7,111,655 times
Reputation: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, I certainly give props to L.A.'s expansion plans as they are pretty ballsy and by far the most ambitious subway expansion plans in the country at the moment. We have them for now, but once they get the new additions to the system built they'll probably have Boston or Chicago level daily ridership.
Assuming people actually ride the subway haha. They have a pretty impressive system now, but no one seems to want to get on the trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 PM
 
531 posts, read 570,128 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
According to the APTA website:

MARTA: 246,000 daily riders

Boston's Green Line: 241,100

I agree about the Green Line...I actually like to be on a train with a bunch of people, but sometimes it sucks when your is literally pressed up against the door because it's so packed.

I remember one day I saw some people from Oklahoma (They were totally decked out in OU Sooners gear) talking about how crowded the train was...but there was actually a seat or two available...I wanted to tell them they had no idea what "crowded" was.

hahha. yeah, 'crowded' for the green line means you're probably not even going to be able to get on. if there's even one seat available, i'd consider the train to be all but empty lol. luckily, the other lines aren't nearly as crowded as the green (at least in my experience so far, knock on wood).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,401 posts, read 6,225,042 times
Reputation: 3572
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Assuming people actually ride the subway haha. They have a pretty impressive system now, but no one seems to want to get on the trains.
That is true, it is L.A. after all where people get clowned for driving "the wrong kind of car".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top