U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM

175 posts, read 42,293 times

Advertisements

For anyone is in doubt that the D.C. area is #2 then heres a legit source by the American Public Transportation Association:
http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,282,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
That is video is regional rail/commuter rail just look at how the cars are made, fit to FRA railroad specs. If you call that a subway then so is Metro North and LIRR and thats dead.
I stand corrected. It is very clearly NOT a trolley, though - as Nexus wrongly stated.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

12,344 posts, read 13,663,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Are you actually correcting someone who LIVES there and uses the system? Are you ever wrong about anything?

The second video he listed is clearly NOT a trolley. That is a heavy rail subway if I've ever seen one.
Nope , i'm a very powerful Rail Fanner and i'm rarely wrong.........I quoted 2 of his posts , the second quote had a video of a trolley. The First 2 videos are Regional Rail not Heavy Rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Where are you finding your info? The source I listed says it is counting only the Red, Orange, and Blue lines of the T, which are all heavy rail.

In terms of the Green Line, I understand it's a light rail, but its busiest stations are all subway stations.
I mean't to say the Green line is not a Subway. Yes the Red , Orange and Blue lines are Heavy Rail. The Blue line is hybrid of Heavy and Light Rail. While the Green line may have Underground stops it is not a Subway.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM

175 posts, read 42,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I stand corrected. It is very clearly NOT a trolley, though - as Nexus wrongly stated.
lol
I mean it'll be nice to see it rolling on the streets then

Old 11-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexis4jersey View Post
nope , i'm a very powerful rail fanner and i'm rarely wrong.........
lol!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:46 AM

6,320 posts, read 7,651,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
1. DC metro DOES carry more passengers than Chicago's el and Boston's T put together.
Not quite as much as both Chicago & Boston combined...but close.

Quote:
2. Boston only has 3 subway lines (Red, Orange, Blue). The green line is a light rail and the silver line is a bus.
But like I said before, Boston's busiest Green Line stations are all subway.

Park Street

Copley Station

Kenmore Station

Government Center

Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
While the Green line may have Underground stops it is not a Subway.
If it runs in a tunnel on rails it's a subway, period.

The people in Boston, Newark, Philadelphia and San Francisco consider them to be subways. Semantics and the equipment used doesn't change that.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM

531 posts, read 610,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Not quite as much as both Chicago & Boston combined...but close.

But like I said before, Boston's busiest Green Line stations are all subway.

Park Street

Copley Station

Kenmore Station

Government Center

i use the green line more than every other MBTA line combined. is it not included in these ridership calculations?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
i use the green line more than every other MBTA line combined. is it not included in these ridership calculations?
No, because the Feds split up the ridership figures between Heavy & Light rail. The Green Line is by far the heaviest used LRT line in the country, at 241,100 riders a day.

Boston's combined Heavy & Light rail daily ridership is a very repsectable 737,300 per average weekday.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM

12,344 posts, read 13,663,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
No , because its not official a Heavy Rail. Only Heavy Rail was counted , even though it has Underground stops like a Subway the FRA considers it a Light Rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City