Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the liveliest?
Memphis 5 4.13%
New Orleans 15 12.40%
Atlanta 57 47.11%
Philadelphia 13 10.74%
DC 31 25.62%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You're kidding, right? Every inner city dealt with the same mess during the 80s and 90s with crack and turf war that DC did most especially Atlanta and Philly. I saw it with my own eyes as I have family or a close friend in just about every city east of the Mississippi. Gladly those days are long gone for the most part.
We are all glad those days are gone. I was speaking about the shear numbers though. Washington DC, New Orleans, and Detroit just had way more crime than any other place in the country compared to their population. The mentality was just different in those cities which caused the crime rates to be so high. The FBI especially singled out DC because of the sheer numbers of neighborhood crew violence.

DC suffered more because national gangs were never able to gain traction in DC because of the neighborhood crew loyalty. This also lead to the highest murder rate the United States has ever seen. With over 500 FBI registered neighborhood crews across the city, DC recorded a whopping 489 murders in 1991 with a population of 600,000 people. To put that in perspective, NYC had 778 murders in 2009 with a population of 8,175,133 people. The type of murder rate DC had has not been seen in Kingston Jamaica or Johannesburg South Africa which are known as the most dangerous in the whole world. Gentrification is the best thing that could have happened to DC and looking back at what we used to be makes what is happening in DC even more amazing.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-29-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM

149 posts, read 161,776 times
OH yeah & DC is RAW. But let's turn this convo relative unless your making over 250k in DC ya livin raw & not doing it big . Gentrification yeah unless it's a military,gov't,or federal, contract forget it. YOU CAN JUST TELL HOW LOCAL OFFICIALS TREAT THERE PEOPLE IT'S all BIG BROTHER WATCHING.Lot of Maryland transplant going back & forth to work.But parties there are for the cities elite if your not in the politcial arena or a big time lawyer your stuck in the hood not really doing it big & like I said that ish is raw.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly born Jersey raised View Post
OH yeah & DC is RAW. But let's turn this convo relative unless your making over 250k in DC ya livin raw & not doing it big . Gentrification yeah unless it's a military,gov't,or federal, contract forget it. YOU CAN JUST TELL HOW LOCAL OFFICIALS TREAT THERE PEOPLE IT'S all BIG BROTHER WATCHING.Lot of Maryland transplant going back & forth to work.But parties there are for the cities elite if your not in the politcial arena or a big time lawyer your stuck in the hood not really doing it big & like I said that ish is raw.
Have you ever been to DC? Washington DC's nightlife is geared toward black people more so than any other race. DC and Atlanta are the only cities that can say that the nightlife is geared toward black people more than other races. What are you talking about? You are from Philly which nobody thinks about when talking about black people. It's kind of funny really because DC, Atlanta, and Detroit are the black cities in this country. Almost every city everywhere has black culture and nightlife. The culture of those cities however is black and the race people think of is black. I don't know who started this thread but if you are going to include Philly in a black people discussion for nightlife, you might as well include NYC and Chicago which aren't black cities either. The dominant culture in Philly just isn't black. It's even across the board.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM

199 posts, read 178,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I think every since my college days is been the truth that outside the ghettos (where most visitors aren't going to party anyway) It's pretty much the same in D.C. as well.

It's just the D.C. posters on City Data that would try and lead you to believe that D.C. is full of these 2010 black versions of Billy the Kid and Jessie James who's Streetwise level is astronomical and sit around totally amused at how unsophisticated and soft all the low street IQ having out of towners are wandering whether or not they should take advantage.

Atleast in D.C. it's obvious to see when you are in a gritty neighborhood. In Atlanta and the Bay Area where I have family you can be in a neighborhood that looks really nice and safe and be in danger. That's actually something I would like to see get changed about Atlanta.
Why on earth would you want the hoods to be grime?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdallstar View Post
have you ever been to dc? Washington dc's nightlife is geared toward black people more so than any other race. Dc and atlanta are the only cities that can say that the nightlife is geared toward black people more than other races. What are you talking about? You are from philly which nobody thinks about when talking about black people. It's kind of funny really because dc, atlanta, and detroit are the black cities in this country. Almost every city everywhere has black culture and nightlife. The culture of those cities however is black and the race people think of is black. I don't know who started this thread but if you are going to include philly in a black people discussion for nightlife, you might as well include nyc and chicago which aren't black cities either. The dominant culture in philly just isn't black. It's even across the board.

nobody thinks about black people when coming to philly are you kidding hahahaha.look at all the talent that comes from here & all the ethnic venues we have your crazy to deny that & reaching to hard & yes but black live entertainment with more than just one variety something for everybody not all aa's are the same.philly def. Has black variety buddy don't know where you get that from just not on the scale as dc's blackness . But we are def. Unique & diveres as far as entertaiment what makes up the diff.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Just because it's dominate black populous doesn't make it great either.Quality not quantity.DC is hood unless you go down town &thats lacking DC was boring last time i was there all you guys showed me was gogo.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Have you ever been to DC? Washington DC's nightlife is geared toward black people more so than any other race. DC and Atlanta are the only cities that can say that the nightlife is geared toward black people more than other races. What are you talking about? You are from Philly which nobody thinks about when talking about black people. It's kind of funny really because DC, Atlanta, and Detroit are the black cities in this country. Almost every city everywhere has black culture and nightlife. The culture of those cities however is black and the race people think of is black. I don't know who started this thread but if you are going to include Philly in a black people discussion for nightlife, you might as well include NYC and Chicago which aren't black cities either. The dominant culture in Philly just isn't black. It's even across the board.

Yeah & if you put NY & Chicago on the list they actually have, Philly would stay on not so sure about DC you guys rank 5th in downtown we rank 3rd.Way overly hyped here on CD not realistic at all I got tired of DC real quick last time I was there & nobody mentions DC up here it's irrelevant why go there when we got everything up here.But on DC but it is very black though but for that I choose ATL anyday over DC.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You sound like a typical brotha from the south east so un exposed (eyes roll)you don't even look this way period all about the south unless you venture midwest.If you ever been to Philly you would never say Philly & nonblack in the same sentence...that in itself says alot.Unlike you guys we think outside the box thats why we over look you & go to Virginia Beach & Atl & Miami.Seriously there are some nice spots to chill but over all DC equals hood.Big time.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
All I know is that Philly's got Jill Scott and the Roots. That enough in my book.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 PM

In closing all i've got to say is look @ how many poster from DC put Philly in ther mouth when pleading & then look @ how many Philly poster or posters in general mention DC OR JUST IN YOUR EVERYDAY LIFE IN GENERAL Who do you know that says oh yeah i'm going to DC to turn that ish out ....didn't think so mostly it's Miami Atl Nola & NY for blacks im talking all over the US not just in Maryland & VA they are a peep in convo as far as vacation @ best unless it's for a job or political campaign. DC still got a lot of pickinup to do as far as image & the scenery is dull it just doesn't have the it factor hell Philly has that..Seriously people know about DC especially in the N.East thats why no one really speaks on em & the verdict has been out a long time ago.

Last edited by Philly born Jersey raised; 06-29-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City