Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:46 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That looks like a good old-fashioned road march to me. People are muddy and everything. Man buddy with the dreds is gettin' it in in that video, too. And if you notice, there are no teenie-boppers to be seen. That's another big difference between DC and Brooklyn. If you're not old enough to drink, you need to be at home doing homework, not palancing out on de road.

Mud + Paint + DC > No Mud + No Paint + Brooklyn

did you just say i am not old enough to drink lmao? is this some tactic to feel superior in this argument? lets be real here if it was up to me they should of made the law to drink at the age of 14 lol. Also like i said mud maybe cool to you but to me personally i do not enjoy mud , alcohol or powder being thrown at me. I go to dance , party and have fun.

and once again your way off people in nyc do use mud and pain wth are you talking about so that means when you go to the Brooklyn carnival you never see those Grenadian devil costume wearing guys who pain their whole bodies black as a crayon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Now I know for sure you have no idea what you are talking about. And now I have doubts that you're even West Indian. First, what West Indian doesn't want rum? That is a rarity indeed. Second, carnival without mud and powder is not carnival. It's just people in a public space. People go to carnival to frolic and plastering other people with paint gives carnival a childish, "food fight" type of quality. If people wanted to just dance to reggae or soca, there'd be no point in going to Trinidad. But lots of people go every year, so obviously there must be a lot of people who do enjoy getting drenched in mud and paint.

Do you see those steel barricades that are confining those massive crowds of people to the sidewalks? DC doesn't have those. The real challenge in NYC is getting into the parade in the first place. If you try jumping that gate, which is not that easy, and you get caught by a police officer, they will either force you to jump back over, or even worse, arrest you. And if you don't get into the parade, then you'll be forced to wade your way through a super dense crowd of people. In that crowd, it can take you more than 20 minutes to walk from Franklin to Classon, but yet you call that fun? It's like trying to move around and dance on the National Mall during the Obama inauguration.

This is perhaps the most ignorant of many ignorant statements you've made so far. You have never been to ANY carnival, have you? Who the hell stands in front of the truck? There are no crowds in front of the truck. Everybody rushes to get behind the truck. Your question is about as silly as my girlfriend asking why the Eagles always punt the ball on 4th down instead of 5th.

nice try banjanyankee my parents are Haitian and just cause rum and mud are part of west indian culture doesn't mean that everyone wants to be soaked in it. That really ignorant to say "who doesn't want to be soaked in rum or power or mud".

secondly bajanyankee now your showing how weak you are in this argument, did you just biasly post pics of the costume girls walking where with people standing behind barricaded? . People dont go crazy to dance in the streets when the costume girls roam the streets people jump over and clog the streets when the band trucks come driving down the roads(where the performers and artist and real music is). My videos and your own earlier videos of nyc debunk this, and i will show another video right now that debunks this clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqizN...88EBF&index=16

Thats elephant man,s flag anthem and he made the video at the Brooklyn carnival. Now please show me where in the video are everyone standing behind barricades outside the street?

bajanyankee it is pretty much a fact that you are homering dc carnival and throwing nyc carnival off cause all this is all i see simply. Honestly i would agree with you if this were true but like another poster said above you a clearly overdoing Brooklyn carnival in a negative spotlight.

here is a actual picture that debunks your talk of people staying in outside of barricaded

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/116...0A760B0D811297

http://www.haitianmusicindustry.com/...ure8830-18.jpg

thank you can we please cut the "throwing off please" it is really ruining the thread.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:03 PM

btw to make my argument stand the last pic i posted isn't even aimed at the parkway that's how crazy it is. Even the back block streets close to the parkway are congested with millions of people on the street partying which stretches all the way down to empire blvd which is 6 blocks away from the parkway.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
This is the last video I'll post of DC carnival. You can see how it is sooooo much better than the Eastern Parkway. If you fast forward to the 11 minute mark, you will see the pandemonium that breaks out once the crowd reaches the fire station on Gallatin Street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzWMQz2W-xQ
once again smh. This video being shown here looks exactly like the west indain day parade which means it is not as good since west indian day parade has way more people having a good time.

Also we need to look at the facts here. If dc carnival was really as better as the parkway as you claim it to be then the dc carnival would have 3 million people attending just like NY, or Toronto. People of west Indian decent do not go running down to dc carnival when comparing to Toronto and nyc. Also i would love to see the jouvey that occurs in dc, and the after party scene of their carnival(which is something nyc loads upon).

Nyc being bigger then dc has nothing to do with a parade. If Dc was really the top of the line carnival in north america then i am pretty sure 3 million spectators would be running down their to.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
bajanyankee it is pretty much a fact that you are homering dc carnival and throwing nyc carnival off cause all this is all i see simply. Honestly i would agree with you if this were true but like another poster said above you a clearly overdoing Brooklyn carnival in a negative spotlight.
I'm not even from Washington, DC. I've actually been trying to move to NYC for the past six months with no success thus far. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and have no real connection to the DC area other than a job. I think it's fair to say I can be more objective than you when it comes to this subject; I don't have a dog in this fight like you do. I only care about where the best party's at. Obviously, NYC is much more exciting than DC for a number of reasons, but DC Carnival is better than the Eastern Parkway. Hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
Also we need to look at the facts here. If dc carnival was really as better as the parkway as you claim it to be then the dc carnival would have 3 million people attending just like NY, or Toronto.
Again, the size of the crowd does not make one carnival better than another. If that were the case, Brooklyn would be considered a better carnival than Trinidad and Crop Over, but nobody would ever agree with that reasoning. Barbados only has 275,000 people, which means that Brooklyn's carnival is way more massive than Crop Over. So then what could possibly make Crop Over, or any other carnival, better than the Eastern Parkway? Whatever it is, it ain't the numbers. Plus, I'm pretty sure 3 million people are not on the Parkway on Labor Day. That's more than the entire population of Chicago. A few hundred thousand probably. But not millions.

You should have just listened to your man and quit while you were ahead. I started this thread to get comparisons of different aspects of different carnivals around the nation, hoping that I would get some idea about the details and logistics that distinguish one carnival from another. All I've gotten from you is "We da best because we big and we have more culture because we so big and there's no debate cuz we're so big." I mean, since NYC is so big, I guess there's really no point in having carnival in T&T and Barbados anymore.

If anybody wants to add something of value to this thread, please speak up. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:22 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
[quote=BajanYankee;16618074]I'm not even from Washington, DC. I've actually been trying to move to NYC for the past six months with no success thus far. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and have no real connection to the DC area other than a job. I think it's fair to say I can be more objective than you when it comes to this subject; I don't have a dog in this fight like you do. I only care about where the best party's at. Obviously, NYC is much more exciting than DC for a number of reasons, but DC Carnival is better than the Eastern Parkway. Hands down.

Again, the size of the crowd does not make one carnival better than another. If that were the case, Brooklyn would be considered a better carnival than Trinidad and Crop Over, but nobody would ever agree with that reasoning. Barbados only has 275,000 people, which means that Brooklyn's carnival is way more massive than Crop Over. So then what could possibly make Crop Over, or any other carnival, better than the Eastern Parkway? Whatever it is, it ain't the numbers. Plus, I'm pretty sure 3 million people are not on the Parkway on Labor Day. That's more than the entire population of Chicago. A few hundred thousand probably. But not millions.

You should have just listened to your man and quit while you were ahead. I started this thread to get comparisons of different aspects of different carnivals around the nation, hoping that I would get some idea about the details and logistics that distinguish one carnival from another. All I've gotten from you is "We da best because we big and we have more culture because we so big and there's no debate cuz we're so big." I mean, since NYC is so big, I guess there's really no point in having carnival in T&T and Barbados anymore.

If anybody wants to add something of value to this thread, please speak up. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.[/quote]

Thats The NYC mentality That they have adopted Im glad your seeing what I was talking about.. Then they wonder why people start talking trash about NYC.. he needs to eat some humble pie..

Definition of NYC mentality

The belief that New York is the center of the world and that nothing more than 2 hours outside of New York City is a part of America. A misguided perception of non-New Yorkers and the belief that others are provincial because they don't live in NYC. The idea that everything you could ever want is in NYC and there is no good reason to ever leave.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:47 PM

228 posts, read 696,250 times
Question: Do NYC, DC or any other City for that matter (not Toronto) have other events besides Carnival? and I'm not talking about J'ouvert or pre/after parties. Like King/Queen Competitions, Morach Comps, Steel Pan comps and any another cultural events???

Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Thats The NYC mentality That they have adopted Im glad your seeing what I was talking about.. Then they wonder why people start talking trash about NYC.. he needs to eat some humble pie..
Well, that's only part of it. If you have an opinion on something, then it is what it is. I can't prove your opinion wrong. But if you've only been to one DC Carnival, and that was five or six years ago when you were 15 years of age, then you have no basis to really state an opinion on the subject.

Crowd size is just one important factor. At T&T Carnival, you never get thirsty because there are at least 5 or 6 drink trucks per band. In Barbados, on the other hand, you have to fight to get a refill. But Barbados has an edge on Trinidad because the road march terminates near the water, so you can hit the beach with a plate of food as soon as you're done. It's little things like that that can make a big difference in the quality of your carnival experience.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
Question: Do NYC, DC or any other City for that matter (not Toronto) have other events besides Carnival? and I'm not talking about J'ouvert or pre/after parties. Like King/Queen Competitions, Morach Comps, Steel Pan comps and any another cultural events???
Sure, there are events like that in New York and DC. I don't think I've ever attended one of them in the States, though. They're just not as interesting as the ones on the islands. In Barbados, Cohobbolopot is one of my favorites.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City