Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

theirs no competition of west indian culture when it comes to nyc

7days7nights.com/Carib - Connecting people & events daily

our culture is so live that everyone wants to be apart of it in nyc. Just look at our party bookings on our Caribbean party website.

Theirs a reason why most west indian artist know Brooklyn very well. Hell in Jamaica people who have never been to Brooklyn even know what Flatbush avenue is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 02:04 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
learn to read more clear though if you have never been to dc then you shouldn't even be posting smh.

Also everything bajanyankee said about carnival is correct and their is no argument about it.

our argument is about nyc vs dc and like i said many of the things he is saying about nyc carnival are way off.

do you have problem with me addressing someone that is being off about my city? Last time i checked i saw you on a forum defending and debunking all the people who were way off about Houston.
I am not saying you should not defend your city. if you look at my first post in this thread in answer to the question of which was best I chose NYC, what I said is that I have never been to DC's carnival but from what he is saying he makes sense. You are defending yes, but you are making his arguments sound better.

I thoroughly enjoy NYC's carnival. is it better than DC? I dunno

Old 11-10-2010, 02:05 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
LMAO these videos just prove me right all the way. I do not see no difference in the livability at all. People at the dc carnival are dancing and moving just like the people in the nyc carnival, and Toronto carnival , Miami carnival etc.

and once again the girls are dressed the exact same way .
It's not the same at all. Qualitatively, there's a big difference between DC/Miami/Toronto and NYC. The Eastern Parkway is more of a big congregation of West Indians than it is a party. When people go to DC Carnival, they go to party. When people go to the Eastern Parkway, they go more or less to eat good food and enjoy the crowd. It's like attending a state fair.

DC Carnival is more like this than Brooklyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmE_SqDiNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpzNh...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpb3t...eature=related

Old 11-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not the same at all. Qualitatively, there's a big difference between DC/Miami/Toronto and NYC. The Eastern Parkway is more of a big congregation of West Indians than it is a party. When people go to DC Carnival, they go to party. When people go to the Eastern Parkway, they go more or less to eat good food and enjoy the crowd. It's like attending a state fair.

DC Carnival is more like this than Brooklyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmE_SqDiNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpzNh...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpb3t...eature=related
trinidad carnival is in the west indies so off coarse its going to be better then anything in the states. I hope you really didn't think i said nyc carnival is the best in the world did you? this is just nyc vs dc. Also once again you are off about nyc the videos you are posting about dc are all done in nyc. People do not go to eastern pkwy to eat and stand around and the videos on youtube clearly show this.

the videos you post clearly do not show dc being anything like the trini carnival. NICE ONE.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 PM

more dc carnival videos. people once again looking stiff and girls barely topless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4kdZsOQKVo

Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM

according to bajanyankee the whole strip of eastern pkwy is like a state fair no1 barely dances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUOmA09LxQ

fast foward to 1:28

Old 11-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
AND also bajanyankee is also off about the west indian diaspora he seems to think trinis and jamaicans dominate everything which is FALSE.
I didn't say they dominate everything. I said that Trinis generally dominate carnival because they're more into it than everyone else. T&T Carnival is, after all, the Granddaddy of all carnivals. And when I say they "dominate" I don't mean their sheer numbers. They play mostly Trini soca during carnival season and the artists are mostly Trini. Machel, Destra, Fay-Ann Lyons, Bunji & Garlin are all from T&T. It's the whole Trini culture that permeates carnival in North America.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they dominate everything. I said that Trinis generally dominate carnival because they're more into it than everyone else. T&T Carnival is, after all, the Granddaddy of all carnivals. And when I say they "dominate" I don't mean their sheer numbers. They play mostly Trini soca during carnival season and the artists are mostly Trini. Machel, Destra, Fay-Ann Lyons, Bunji & Garlin are all from T&T. It's the whole Trini culture that permeates carnival in North America.
well sorry Trinidad i really do apologize for haitians taking over nyc carnival. sorry i mean it with all my heart.5 super dense haitian float with everyone from all islands dancing from our tunes. Haitian tune might be unheard of to you but to all the st Lucian , and Dominica folks who attend carnival zouk and kompa is sweet music to their ears. Jamaica has the biggest population of people in the nyc metro area yet only has 1 float with sometimes 2 in 1 year. This year you might as well say they had only 1 since the one elephant man was on had music issues and even the Jamaicans were angry at him. Only one of their 2 floats was bumping. Trini/bajan float were well and alive as usual.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
according to bajanyankee the whole strip of eastern pkwy is like a state fair no1 barely dances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUOmA09LxQ

fast foward to 1:28
First of all, I am correct in saying that barely anyone dances on the Parkway. Most people don't get into the actual road march because NYPD has the Parkway on lock. It's completely barricaded. Sure, a few kids hop the rail, but for the most part, there's an NYPD officer posted every 75 feet or so along the route on both sides of the Parkway. I'm too old to be hopping over police barricades.

Second, how can you speak with any type of authority on the subject when you claim you've been to DC carnival only once when you were 15? And then you say that even that was an "accident." I have been to DC Carnival every year since 2001 and have been to the Eastern Parkway every year since 2002. I have been jumping up with Baje Int'l at Cropover since 2003. In my opinion, DC Carnival is much better preparation for Trinidad and Cropover. Dancing with a girl on the sidewalk and dancing with a girl while she's walking are two different things. A road march with paint, mud and water is infinitely more fun than any regular fete. If you think you can go down to Trini Carnival and perform well based on your experience in Brooklyn, then you have another thing coming.

Plus, Brooklyn is a teeny-bopper dominated carnival. Perhaps that suits you. But as someone older, I prefer to go to carnivals where the rum is flowing freely on de road and I have a broad selection of professional age women to choose from.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
First of all, I am correct in saying that barely anyone dances on the Parkway. Most people don't get into the actual road march because NYPD has the Parkway on lock. It's completely barricaded. Sure, a few kids hop the rail, but for the most part, there's an NYPD officer posted every 75 feet or so along the route on both sides of the Parkway. I'm too old to be hopping over police barricades.

Second, how can you speak with any type of authority on the subject when you claim you've been to DC carnival only once when you were 15? And then you say that even that was an "accident." I have been to DC Carnival every year since 2001 and have been to the Eastern Parkway every year since 2002. I have been jumping up with Baje Int'l at Cropover since 2003. In my opinion, DC Carnival is much better preparation for Trinidad and Cropover. Dancing with a girl on the sidewalk and dancing with a girl while she's walking are two different things. A road march with paint, mud and water is infinitely more fun than any regular fete. If you think you can go down to Trini Carnival and perform well based on your experience in Brooklyn, then you have another thing coming.

Plus, Brooklyn is a teeny-bopper dominated carnival. Perhaps that suits you. But as someone older, I prefer to go to carnivals where the rum is flowing freely on de road and I have a broad selection of professional age women to choose from.
hey it was a accident but i remember it vividly, and one thing i remember clearly was that it was not as live as Brooklyn. And i have been going to Brooklyn carnival since i was 14.

yea nyc barricades the parkway to keep everything balanced. But they do not block people from crossing over the barricade like you said earlier. Any one can go through a barricade cops will not stop you at all. Cops only put that barricade because the parade is way to dense and chaotic. It balances things out.

Once again your dc carnival videos have not proved anything that you talk about for everything you called nyc on i disproved it with a video and i also disproved the overhyphe you are giving dc with actual dc videos myself.

as far as people go i have yet to see the difference, and as far energy goes nyc looks to have the most judging through the clips.

that trini video you posted is very nice and i will admit it. Those people are very live and are all participating in the event. But your dc clips do not match up with them at all.

and as far as girls go i can handle trini girls their nothing to pressuring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City