Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:07 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,396,755 times

Advertisements

Washington, DC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpb3tVPh6K4

Brooklyn, New York

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_5L...eature=related

Miami, Florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bafY4c-RP5o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 04:12 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,699,290 times
New York by far

Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Definitely gotta throw in Caribana. I'll throw ATL in the mix too since it's really coming of age.

Toronto, Ontario

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJjID...eature=related

Atlanta, Georgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOrUSjJ7Sa8

Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
I have only been to the NY and Miami ones. Both of these are heads and shoulders above the Houston Carnival. I would say that the NY one is the best.

I have not been to Caribana in over 10 yrs, but that one was good too

Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Definitely gotta throw in Caribana. I'll throw ATL in the mix too since it's really coming of age.

Toronto, Ontario

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJjID...eature=related

Atlanta, Georgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOrUSjJ7Sa8

lol, I was wondering why you had omitted Caribana

Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,049,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have only been to the NY and Miami ones. Both of these are heads and shoulders above the Houston Carnival. I would say that the NY one is the best.

Houston needs to start utilizing its downtown much more. Great atmosphere and location for Caribfest.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Miami is bonkers. The smartest thing they ever did was to consolidate the Broward County and Miami-Dade road marches. It didn't make much sense to have two separate road marches.

New York, on the other hand, definitely has the worst road march. NYPD has taken all of the fun out of Brooklyn Carnival. The police barricade is ridiculous, and if you don't pay to get in a band and play mas, then you're not having any fun. For the most part, the actual carnival day is a combination of thugs and teenagers hanging out on the Parkway. The parties are good, but the road march, which is what carnival is really all about, sucks.

DC Carnival is, in my opinion, the best of the lot. Unlike NYC, you can get on the road pretty easily without having to pay. It's also a lot safer and there are fewer families, which means there are more cute girls for the taking. Plus, the Mud People and the D.C. Fire Department take it to a whole different level. I can honestly say that I've done some of my best partying on Georgia Avenue. And the fact that the route goes downhill the entire time really helps you conserve your energy for the big finish down by Howard.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston needs to start utilizing its downtown much more. Great atmosphere and location for Caribfest.
I've never been to Houston carnival. I'll have to add it to my list. I know there are a good number of Bajans there though.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:30 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,905,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York, on the other hand, definitely has the worst road march. NYPD has taken all of the fun out of Brooklyn Carnival. The police barricade is ridiculous, and if you don't pay to get in a band and play mas, then you're not having any fun. For the most part, the actual carnival day is a combination of thugs and families just hanging out on the Parkway, either fighting or enjoying the food. Sometimes both. The parties are good, but the road march, which is what carnival is really all about, sucks..
Hmm, I was about to say NYC for the sheer size of it's parade (based on when I went there in the late 90s) but if that is happening then it would truly suck because thats the best part of any Carnival.

I'm gonna go with Miami though just for the sheer "scantly clad womeness"

DC and ATL are on the come up though.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Houston Carnival used to be downtown, but then it became defunct, and since its resurrection, it has been held at Tom Bass park. If they make it a street parade again, I am sure that it will be good again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City