Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London or New York
London 53 42.06%
New York City 73 57.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
And why should it be? It's Europe. I'll go on and claim Tokyo's a joke too since it's 99.99% Japanese. Same with any other Asian/African city tbh.
How did anyone come to the conclusion that London is not diverse? There are over 300 languages spoken in London schools, making it the most linguistically diverse school system in the world. There are also some reports that over 800 languages are spoken throughout London as well, which would rank it equal with NYC as the most linguistically diverse city in the world.

Any why on earth would London being located in Europe be considered a reason for not being diverse? Have you ever walked around Amsterdam, Paris, Marseille or Berlin? How are those not extremely diverse?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:06 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
i have the nyc mentality yea if so i guess you would see me on every nyc thread cheering nyc on right. According to you if someone cheers nyc on once or twice their officially named homers who have the nyc mentality.

what still stands is the fact that you never have any type of facts to back up anything but is quick to ride on the back of anyone who is arguing with a new yorker. So my point is proving you cant even comment back with a actual proper reasoning except lies and fairy tales.

btw no i am not worked up because its the truth. the fact is i only voted for nyc in 3 different threads since my account was activated in march. The truth hurts for you sir. Next time at least have some facts when you side with people who are arguing with new yorkers or non new yorkers who love nyc for the most part.

Jordan what facts do I need to prove.. Anything I say is based off observation.. Read thru your own post history and see if your guilty of having the NYC mentality.. I'm actually being nice about my opinions on NYC... You live and die by the phrase everything is better in NYC.. New Yorkers do NOT let ANYTHING defeat them, get in their way, or bring them down. They're attitude is do it, do it now, whether you win or lose....
If you lose, do it until you win, which really means until you succeed.
This must be something thats worthwhile (or fun), nothing with bad intentions of course. But it can be very aggravating.

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 11-16-2010 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
How did anyone come to the conclusion that London is not diverse? There are over 300 languages spoken in London schools, making it the most linguistically diverse school system in the world. There are also some reports that over 800 languages are spoken throughout London as well, which would rank it equal with NYC as the most linguistically diverse city in the world.

Any why on earth would London being located in Europe be considered a reason for not being diverse? Have you ever walked around Amsterdam, Paris, Marseille or Berlin? How are those not extremely diverse?

These are the city data quilifications that make a city top 10..

Diversity

Dense/urban

GDP

As long as a city falls under those three things they will make top 10..

Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,643 times
Two words: fresh Newcastle.

London.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,556 times
two words: british teeth

New York City.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,643 times
Touché....

Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
the architecture of london is that of an old city -yes. Nyc has the better architecture of the modern age. NYC is the skyscraper city that other city's try to emulate. Right now nyc is the template of the modern city. London,rome,babylon,athens etc was the old template
Hmmm....New York City certainly is not the template of the modern city. I'd say cities like Houston, Dallas, and Los Angeles would be the new template. No city is trying to emulate New York's style of building as far as I can tell. Just because a city builds a skyscraper doesn't mean it's trying to be New York. Since the 1950s, the highway has been what creates cities.

By the way, London has a fantastic collection of both old and new architecture. You should really check out some of their newer buildings. They're even starting to build some beautiful skyscrapers (OMGZ NYC COPYCATZZZ)

Quote:
Im not really understanding your argument as far as competition.
With all due respect...you don't understand his argument because you don't understand the concept.

I'm not going to get too far into it, because I admit I'm no expert on how the EU works either...but I find it hard to believe that New York is going to face much more competition from cities within its own country while in Europe, cities compete with other cities which have the full support of their entire country (UK --> London, France --> Paris, etc.).

I think this is a subject you need to understand more in-depth (as do I), before you can try to start debating with people who seem to already understand it.

P.S. I will say that some of the New York forumers (somehow) have insane inferiority complexes...I'm not sure how it works out that way because I don't see New York as inferior to any city...but that's the only way I can explain it. Maybe it's the fear of seeing another city that actually matches up very well to their city that scares them. Either way, it's strange to see people so desperately try to act like New York is leagues ahead of what many consider to be an equally great city:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
They are not f***in wit NYC. Period. In the U.S. we do everything better, including cities, and they know that.
Yea I know he's from Philly...whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC hands down! This is an absurd comparison.

http://www.timeout.com/travel/featur...greatest-cityr
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
NYC USA ALL DAY? New york is bigger in pop culture, a bigger media capitol, new yorkers have more swag than londoners. Trends started by new yorkers are rampant in london than vice versa. Tell londoners to take those yankee caps off(talking about londons youth of course). New york is like london and hong kong combined. A great city with a great streetscape and powerful institutions with a powerful skyline to back it up. To me theres no contest between the two.Plus new york has brooklyn. Manhattan alone is greater let alone adding the other four boroughs

And the main reasons why i think nyc is the most impressive city is.

1.NYC is way younger than london and many other european cities. For it to grow into dominance against cities that had almost a thousand year head start is impressive

2. Nyc has way more competition than european cities have as far as dominating a country. Nyc has more competition in the northeast alone than london,tokyo and paris have in their whole countries. Nyc competes with washington DC,Philly and boston-all are great worldclass cities.

Than it has to compete with los angelos,houston,miami,atlanta,chicago etc all on a domesticlevel Chi town,DC,Boston LA are top ten/20 world cities. London,tokyo,paris dont have to deal with that.

Osaka,manchester,liverpool give me a break

Than on top of that nyc has to break through all of that and compete with international cities-ldn,paris,tokyo,moscow,berlin,madrid ............. at the same time

NYC is better handsdown
I'd also like to point out an error from this post. New York City does not have more swagger than London. In fact, according to the Swag-O-Meter, London has nearly 42% more swagger than New York City. Other cities who's citizens enjoy they swag selves mo than New York are: Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, Tokyo, and even Dubai! The Swag-O-Meter never lies. It's science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
New York, by far.

On paper, NYC is miles ahead of London, so besides trading spots as the "Financial Center of the World", NYC very far ahead of London wealth wise.

NYC is a more lively city. And most importantly, NYC is in the United States and London is dreary UK.
It's just a bit odd to me.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 11-16-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Lived in London for a short time, and I love it. I'm going with London here. I think the QOL is better than NYC, but not as good as some other European cities (Barcelona, Florence, Nice, etc.). I really enjoyed the dynamics of London and the culture. It was cool to have people float in from France, Italy, Germany, etc. I even worked with an Italian attorney that split his time between London and Rome...very cool.

The history of London is a particular interest for me. Plus the transit out of London and throughout Europe is SO much better than the NE. Train rides up to Scotland and to France were a lot of fun. I also liked the mysterious way the streets and architecture is setup there (e.g. Oxford Circus with curving streets and amazing architecture).

I do have to say the biggest drawback of London that I noticed, is that the food in NYC is WAY better. That's my only complain with London.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,051 times
Both cities are amazing. No city is perfect, but when it comes to what a city can offer, nothing tops these two.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Both cities are amazing. No city is perfect, but when it comes to what a city can offer, nothing tops these two.
Really? I prefer Paris over both of them, I think it has better lifestyle, layout, food, museums, the works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City