U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,997,376 times

Advertisements

I'm going with rural California. Not so much the Inland Empire though. Never really been there. I was around the Lompoc area for a bit and people just seemed laid back and southern in a sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM

173 posts, read 290,482 times
I don't spend a lot of time in rural areas, but the two cities I've lived in that remind me most of the South are D.C. and Chicago. The places I've lived that didn't: Boston, NYC, SF. And I don't agree that all black neighborhoods feel southern-- blacks in NYC and Boston frequently come from the Caribbean or Africa, and lack Southern roots.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 PM

13,856 posts, read 14,036,003 times
I think Philadelphia had a long/historic black community before the "Great Migration." Although plausibly there are some Southern influences.

One difficulty is that what's "outside" or "inside" the South seems to be debated. Oklahoma and West Virginia are seen as Southern by some, but others would reject that idea. I think at least some would say that the Ozark part of Missouri is Southern or shouldn't really count as "Culturally Southern outside the South" the way Cary, North Carolina might count as "culturally Northern outside the North."

Old 11-18-2010, 05:48 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,306,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think Philadelphia had a long/historic black community before the "Great Migration." Although plausibly there are some Southern influences.

One difficulty is that what's "outside" or "inside" the South seems to be debated. Oklahoma and West Virginia are seen as Southern by some, but others would reject that idea. I think at least some would say that the Ozark part of Missouri is Southern or shouldn't really count as "Culturally Southern outside the South" the way Cary, North Carolina might count as "culturally Northern outside the North."
If you consider Cary, NC Culturally Northern wouldn't that make North Carolina a Northern State especially if your going to stereotype Maryland as Northern because of what some would stereotype Baltimore as Culturally Northern??????????????

Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM

13,856 posts, read 14,036,003 times
I'm just going on what I'd read.

I actually don't think Maryland is Northeastern and if I said it was I was just bowing to group consensus. I don't see where I mentioned Maryland in this thread though. Basically I think Maryland is Mid-Atlantic with some, or at least historic, Southern or Appalachian influences. At least when I went to Maryland there were definitely rural parts of it that struck me as Southern, almost more classically Southern than what I knew in Arkansas. (Plantation style houses, etc) Allegany, Garrett, and Washington counties are also in the Appalachian Regional Commission.

However Maryland is somewhat dominated by DC and Baltimore, both of which are or seem to be almost entirely Mid-Atlantic/Northeast.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,306,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm just going on what I'd read.

I actually don't think Maryland is Northeastern and if I said it was I was just bowing to group consensus. I don't see where I mentioned Maryland in this thread though. Basically I think Maryland is Mid-Atlantic with some, or at least historic, Southern or Appalachian influences. At least when I went to Maryland there were definitely rural parts of it that struck me as Southern, almost more classically Southern than what I knew in Arkansas. (Plantation style houses, etc) Allegany, Garrett, and Washington counties are also in the Appalachian Regional Commission.

However Maryland is somewhat dominated by DC and Baltimore, both of which are or seem to be almost entirely Mid-Atlantic/Northeast.
And thats where most of the issue is rooted from because some people judge Maryland based off of DC and Baltimore which does not define the Entire State of Maryland just like DC does not define the Entire state of Virginia......

A lot of people that deny the fact that Maryland is a Southern State have Never traveled to most parts of Maryland let alone more than likely never step foot into the state of Maryland...........

Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,224,685 times
A cold bama!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 AM

117 posts, read 28,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
A cold bama!
aye yo im dyin over here lmaooooooooooo

Old 11-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And thats where most of the issue is rooted from because some people judge Maryland based off of DC and Baltimore which does not define the Entire State of Maryland just like DC does not define the Entire state of Virginia......

A lot of people that deny the fact that Maryland is a Southern State have Never traveled to most parts of Maryland let alone more than likely never step foot into the state of Maryland...........
Well I've been to Charles, Calvert, St. Mary's, Annapolis and the counties on the eastern shore and I will say they are southern without a doubt. I can't stand them counties they are very country and plantation minded. You have AA families over in Annapolis and the eastern shore that have been there since MD has slaves. They are southern as sh*t...... I don't think I could ever live in those sections of MD, too dixie.

Carroll county feels like rural PA.

PG county overall is mid atlantic with southern undertones. However southern PG county (Clinton, Brandywine, Ft Washington, Accokeek) are feels a lot like ATL's burbs......

Montgomery county is Northeastern, and so is Baltimore city, Baltimore county, Howard county, and all points north of that.

D.C. is midatlantic and NE for the most part. You'll see slight southern undertones depending on the section of city your in, but I wouldn't say its "dixie".

VA on the other hand, even NoVa feels southern to me.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Heres some of the southern parts of MD:

maryland - Google Maps

maryland - Google Maps

maryland - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City