Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,195 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving at the end of July. We currently live in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. We've both lived here our entire lives and want something new. What we're looking for:
-Gay friendly, this is a must, we live together and where we live now is relatively liberal.
-Liberal... these 2 pretty much go hand in hand.
-Rent under 1100 a month for a decent apartment that takes pets.
-Not completely crime ridden
-Both of us like being outside so pretty views, places to walk/hike/skiing within an hour or two
-Also the following year we're both planning on going to graduate school so within 10 hours of an array of schools... she wants to go for nursing and I'm thinking student affairs. Also, college age kids is a plus because both of us are that age.
-Employment of some type... this is important, but neither of us are looking for wonderful jobs. Just jobs that pay the rent and expenses.

We're willing to give and take a little bit. The biggest things are the place being openminded/gay friendly and financially attainable.

Right now we're considering mainly places in the NE because I have some family up there- Providence, Portland, Northampton, areas around Boston. We've also looked into Boulder, CO. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets616 View Post
Why would you move out of Chapel Hill!?!?
All of those places you listed are worse than Chapel Hill. I have a feeling you don't know what the hell you want, but you think the grass is greener on the other side.
I imagine it's because they've lived there all their lives. At some point, most people want a change - not necessarily for the better, just something different, but acceptable!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Sounds like Pittsburgh may fit your needs and price range:

Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB

Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Ithaca, NY would fit pretty much everything you are looking for.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Thank you for the replies. We both like Chapel Hill but just want something different. We're young and want to see and live different places before settling down. Even then I'd lean towards Asheville if I was going to stay in NC. I love that area. Plus, there aren't many places we can both to graduate school in NC.
So, any other suggestions/advice would be much appreciated! We're leaning towards East Providence area or Portland, Maine right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Also looking more into Ithaca, thank you for that suggestion!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Providence is my suggestion.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Two people should be able to afford to live well enough in the Belmont Shores section of Long Beach, CA.

Gay Friendly
Plenty of Nearby Schools
Great outdoor activities

Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker3409 View Post
Also looking more into Ithaca, thank you for that suggestion!
No problem....It is very gay and transgender friendly, has Ivy League Cornell University, Ithaca College and SUNY Cortland is only 20-30 minutes away. It is similar to Chapel Hill in terms of being a college town. It's also close to bigger cities like Syracuse, Rochester and even bigger cities are a day trip away. If you like the outdoors, you have plenty of city and state parks in the area. It also doesn't hurt that you are in the Finger Lakes region, which is one of the biggest wine producing regions in the country.

Also, don't rule out Syracuse. There are 2 or 3 schools of nursing, it is the heart of a region with the 3rd higher student rate per capita, is in a great location for the outdoors and there are neighborhoods that are gay friendly like the somewhat gentrified Hawley-Green and the University area/Eastside neighborhoods like Westcott, University, Outer Comstock and Meadowbrook. Cost of living is below average and unemployment is below average too. Ithaca is at the national average for cost of living.

Here are some websites you might like: Central New York Jobs

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - LATEST ARTICLES

Ithaca Times

You can also search "the renters guide syracuse", onondaga county parks, st. joseph's school of nursing, crouse school of nursing, NY's Creative Core and the finger lakes, among other websites.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-16-2010 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City