Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well cities of 300k in 26 sq miles are fairly significant - the North Jersey Cities anywhere else in the US would be major cities - but fine with the sarcasm

Or as a comparator - the area where Jersey City and Newark reside (Hudson and Essex county) have a population of 1.4 million over 190 sq miles by comparison Austin TX has a population of 786K over 296 sq miles or a place like Seattle with a population of 617K over 217 sq miles - you tell me which area is more or less significant...
Lol yeah was a little sarcasm sorry and actually Seattle has 83 square miles of land you were looking at 217 kilometers. Seattle is small also for a city but pointe well taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Great list. This is a more current descriptions of cities. I would make some ammedments though.

1.) Chicago is not an eastern city... if you want to say Northern city that it'll work and it also belongs in upper midwest and a part belongs in the rust belt

2.) I would put B-more with DC and Virginia in an area that is basically I gray area between the northeast and the deep south.

3.) I would have Miami alone in the Carribean city category

4.) I would put Miami and merge the Southern California cities in the sunbelt.

5.) I would also put LA in the Western Hippy category

6.) Boston belongs in the New England sector too.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Lol yeah was a little sarcasm sorry and actually Seattle has 83 square miles of land you were looking at 217 kilometers. Seattle is small also for a city but pointe well taken.
Ah yes my bad - not sure why Seattle was listed with KM still Hudson county in NJ (JC/Hoboken etc.) is 47 sq miles and 608K

Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ah yes my bad - not sure why Seattle was listed with KM still Hudson county in NJ (JC/Hoboken etc.) is 47 sq miles and 608K
I think people see NYC and Hudson Co. as synonymous since it's in NYC's metro

Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
Someone needs to take a look at a map.

Chicago isn't in the East. It's in the very heart of the Midwest.

Chicago is the Capital of the Rust Belt. Why you're placing it on the Atlantic Seaboard is a mystery to me.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:34 PM

117 posts, read 149,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post

2.) I would put B-more with DC and Virginia in an area that is basically I gray area between the northeast and the deep south.
Virginia is southern, theres no gray area in that state it has way too many confederate roads, memorials, etc....

Bmore and DC are gray areas between the NE and the south, not the deep south lets not get carried away slim.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple or Nothing View Post
Virginia is southern, theres no gray area in that state it has way too many confederate roads, memorials, etc....

Bmore and DC are gray areas between the NE and the south, not the deep south lets not get carried away slim.
LOL... he/she tends to get carried away when talking about baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City