Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times

Advertisements

I got thinking about all of the major metro areas and cities out there in the United States, only one is head and shoulder above the rest as far as height (having highrises) and urbanity (if that's a word). The others are just mere blimps as a comparison.

Getting my information from emporis. NYC has 5,928 highrises. NY has 96 under construction.

If I add up the next twenty biggest cities in the U.S. all of them combined their highrise count is only 3,488. Now Emporis is going by city itself ex(Jacksonville) , so I felt obligated to add ten more cities where I knew there metros were much bigger than some of those cities that fall within the twenty largest. Once again example Jacksonville. City population like 800,000 overall metro barely over a million. Then you have Cities like Atlanta, where their city numbers don't come close to their metro numbers. You get the point. So I added those that didn't make the top twenty, but whose metros are some of the largest.

Then Added:

Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami, Minneapolis, Denver, and even Buffalo since Cincinnatti and Milwaukee I could not get. So, eight more metros counted from them their highrise total was 1, 474.

I know I've left out some cities. Some not by choice, for some reason they had no data for some of them. However, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, etc I tried for you.

Anyhow and if you've lasted this long all of those cities combined add up to.....drum roll............4,962. Thats still a 1000 less highrises than NY. So you might as well add all of the other cities left in the country and NY still wins. What's the deal. Doesn't seem fair. Once city has enough highrises to satisfy at least the forty largest metro's in the country maybe more....That's just so messed up.

And these numbers prove not much is changing, besides Chicago, who has twenty highrises under construction and Miami who has 16. Most of those cities I've listed had 1 or 2 highrises under construction witht the exception of Houston which had 7 and Charlotte which had an honerable six. NY has 96 under construction. That's about on par with the rest of the citieis combined..That's just insane

LA-2 highrises under construction (So much for a building boom) 2nd largest city and you only have two highrises under construction....That's all I'm saying, not trying to diss but....)
Chicago-20 under construction
Houston-7 under construction
Phoenix (don't laugh)-3 under construction (surprisingly high)
Phil- no data for under construction
San Antonio-2 under construction
San Diego-5 under construction
Dallas-4 under construction
San Jose-1 uc
Detroit-no data for under construction
San Francisco-2 under construction
Jacksonville-1 uc
Indianapolis-3 uc
Austin-3uc
Columbus-2 uc
Fort worth-no data for under construction
Charlotte-6 uc
then the cities whose metros would most definately fall into the top twenty, besides a couple.
Boston-8 uc
Cleveland 3 uc
Pittsburgh- 0 highrises uc
Buffalo-2 uc
Miami-16 uc
Minneapolis-1 uc
Denver- 1 uc

All of the other cities combined have 92 buildings under construction. NYC alone has 96.

It's a given that these cities will never catch up, but does NY have to own every other city in America as far as Urbanity goes.

Put it this way, in one year NYC will have added an Indianapolis. Every year their adding enough highrises to create a large or good mid size city.

So why does NY got to have it all? I don't know how this relates to city vs city but since I just practically compared NY to the rest of the country, I guess that falls under that category.

YOUR THOUGHTS

Last edited by supermanpansy; 11-17-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:46 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I got thinking about all of the major metro areas and cities out there in the United States, only one is head and shoulder above the rest as far as height (having highrises). The others are just mere blimps as a comparison.

Getting my information from emporis. NYC has 5,928 highrises. NY has 96 under construction.

If I add up the next twenty biggest cities in the U.S. all of them combined their highrise count is only 3,488. Now Emporis is going by city itself ex(Jacksonville) , so I felt obligated to add ten more cities where I knew there metros were much bigger than some of those cities that fall within the twenty largest. Once again example Jacksonville. City metro like 800,000 overall metro barely over a million. Then you have Cities like Atlanta, where their city numbers don't come close to their metro numbers. You get the point. So I added those that didn't make the top twenty, but whose metros are some of the largest.

Then Added:

Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami, Minneapolis, Denver, and even Buffalo since Cincinnatti and Milwaukee I could not get. So, eight more metros counted from them their highrise total was 1, 474.

I know I've left out some cities. Some not by choice, for some reason they had no data for some of them. However, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, etc I tried for you.

Anyhow and if you've lasted this long all of those cities combined add up to.....drum roll............4,962. Thats still a 1000 less highrises than NY. So you might as well add all of the other cities left in the country and NY still wins. What's the deal. Doesn't seem fair. Once city has enough highrises to satisfy at least the forty largest metro's in the country....That's just so messed up.

And these numbers prove not much is changing, besides Chicago, who has twenty highrises under construction and Miami who has 16. Most of those cities I've listed had 1 or 2 highrises under construction witht the exception of Houston which had 7. NY has 90 under construction. That's about on par with the rest of the citieis combined..Just insane

LA-2 highrises under construction
Chicago-20 under construction
Houston-7 under construction
Phoenix (don't laugh)-3 under construction (surprisingly high)
Phil- no data for under construction
San Antonio-2 under construction
San Diego-5 under construction
Dallas-4 under construction
San Jose-1 uc
Detroit-no data for under construction
San Francisco-2 under construction
Jacksonville-1 uc
Indianapolis-3 uc
Austin-3uc
Columbus-2 uc
Fort worth-no data for under construction
Charlotte-6 uc
then the cities whose metros would most definately fall into the top twenty, besides a couple.
Boston-8 uc
Cleveland 3 uc
Pittsburgh- 0 highrises uc
Buffalo-2 uc
Miami-16 uc
Minneapolis-1 uc
Denver- 1 uc

All of the other cities combined have 92 buildings under construction. NYC alone has 96.

It's a given that these cities will never catch up, but does NY have to own every other city in America as far as Urbanity goes.

Put it this way, in one year NYC will have added an Indianapolis. Every year their adding enough highrises to create a large or good mid size city.

So why does NY got to have it all? I don't know how this relates to city vs city but since I just practically compared NY to the rest of the country, I guess that falls under that category.

YOUR THOUGHTS

your thread is about to become raided with mike&ike rants. it was best if you had not made this post.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM

117 posts, read 150,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Why's NY got to have it all?
Just the way it is, its also one of the oldest cities in this country, if not THE oldest. Immigration also has a lot to do with it. Not being in the south also helped it. I mean NYC was the ideal location to build up a massive city of its size today.

Its just the way it is, and I don't see any other city in this country being able to out beat it, let alone the world.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple or Nothing View Post
Just the way it is, its also one of the oldest cities in this country, if not THE oldest. Immigration also has a lot to do with it. Not being in the south also helped it. I mean NYC was the ideal location to build up a massive city of its size today.

Its just the way it is, and I don't see any other city in this country being able to out beat it, let alone the world.

Definately not in the country. Some day LA CSA wise might have more people but it will never look anything urban like NY. As far as the world, Hong Kong might have something to say, but in the United States, I can't see any city getting close. NY is pulling further and further apart from every place else. Only LA population wise from a CSA standpoint is even a threat. If every year NY's adding 90 more buildings and most metros can barely scratch together three, then it almost makes NY not American. If that makes any sense.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the disparity is a bit rediculous. What is NY afraid of. It's not like there is any other city in the country that has a chance at catching ya. Your good. You could retire now, never build another building and your most likely not going to be surpassed...ever....not in this country at least.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:55 PM

117 posts, read 150,126 times
LA sprawls without density, NYC sprawls with density.....

LA isn't the definition of a real city.............

For a city of that much land area and population, its VERY car eccentric. Same goes for Houston, which is worst.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
It's because we're built on islands and have an extensive mass transit system.

If you looked at the total construction in a city like Dallas, the numbers would be quite impressive as well. However, Dallas has no natural geographic obstacles so there's no need to build tall buildings.

Mass transit is very important. With current parking requirements, there will never be another city in the US as dense as New York. Minimum parking requirements are designed to inhibit density. The only way to increase density is to install mass transit. Yet mass transit need an existing density to be economically viable. It's a Catch-22.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
it is what it is but if one of us said it we'd have 32423423423423434 ppl from CD with their lips poked out posting about how we're delusional homers that have never left the city.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
it is what it is but if one of us said it we'd have 32423423423423434 ppl from CD with their lips poked out posting about how we're delusional homers that have never left the city.
mike&ike would probably be responsible for about 75 percent of the 32434234243223443223432423432 comments from the site.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
New York is basically a city of superlatives.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:44 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) should visit New York City at least once and see it well. Something tells me a lot of people even on C-D have not done so.

Otherwise, they wouldn't think of trying to compare their city to it in the ways they often do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City