Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best city in the USA?
San Francisco(San Mateo, Marin counties) 41 40.59%
New York City(Suffolk, Nassau counties) 60 59.41%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 PM

290 posts, read 569,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Except Bart runs East and South and therefore is more connected from a PT standpoint, not north into marin/novato...If anything the southern area and East Bay are more connected and the North Bay, Sonoma/Marin/Napa are more disconnected as well as less populated with more of the overarching "wine country" vibe. At first glance your NYC breakdown also looks flawed... but I haven't lived out there.

Just cause Bart connects you there dosnt mean they are the same region. Holy cow. So your saying by your logic anitoch and SF share more in common because of Bart then lets say Sausolito and SF?????
People do not shape their lives around a freakin rail line!!!!!!!!!!!
The rilvary between SF and the East Bay is nothing new and has been around since the founding of the bay area and ever since San Jose became a major player now there is a new modern rivalry between SF and San Jose(silicon valley).
You act like Bart has solved the balkinazation problems that have plauged the bay area since its inception. I think you put to much on a subway!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 PM

195 posts, read 395,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
You failed!!!!!!!!!
U missed the whole point of this thread!!!!!!!!
NO one is comparing metro areas you fool!!!!!!!!
I am pretty much comapring SF to NYC. SF includes the whole west bay and NYC includes all of long island. IS this too hard to understand!!!!!
No one cares about Oakland and Newark or San Jose and Yonkers. NO ONE CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wrong SF SUCKS !!!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
You failed!!!!!!!!!
U missed the whole point of this thread!!!!!!!!
NO one is comparing metro areas you fool!!!!!!!!
I am pretty much comapring SF to NYC. SF includes the whole west bay and NYC includes all of long island. IS this too hard to understand!!!!!
No one cares about Oakland and Newark or San Jose and Yonkers. NO ONE CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you. But how you figure long island factors in before westchester county. Ya in the same boat going to the same destination

Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
Long Island is less tied to NYC than, for example, Jersey City or Newark.

It's further away and more separated.

And if you are only including counties on the NY side of the Hudson, I would go with Westchester first.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Long Island is less tied to NYC than, for example, Jersey City or Newark.

It's further away and more separated.

And if you are only including counties on the NY side of the Hudson, I would go with Westchester first.
westchester is directly connected to nyc. How u figure hudson county is more connected when you have to cross a river to get to nyc

Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
westchester is directly connected to nyc. How u figure hudson county is more connected when you have to cross a river to get to nyc
Because Hudson County is 2 miles from Midtown Manhattan, while Nassau County is 20 miles from Midtown.

And, yes, there's a river, but there's a river separating the Outer Boroughs and Long Island from Manhattan too. Personally, I don't see the difference. You need to cross a river in both cases.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Because Hudson County is 2 miles from Midtown Manhattan, while Nassau County is 20 miles from Midtown.

And, yes, there's a river, but there's a river separating the Outer Boroughs and Long Island from Manhattan too. Personally, I don't see the difference. You need to cross a river in both cases.
Manhattan maybe the epicenter of new york city. But queens,brooklyn and the bronx are very much new york aswell. And the rivers that seperate those three from manhattan are incredibly smaller than those that seperate it from nj. You can walk from bronx,queens,bk to manhattan. Theres no comparison

Old 11-18-2010, 10:13 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
In the same way East Hampton and Glen Cove goes more with NYC then Newark, New Jersey or Yonkers, New York.
San Francisco goes more with Pescadero and Novato then with Oakland and Berkely. Oakland and Berkely are East Bay territory.
You fail to understand that the Bay Area is broken into 4 sub regions. You can never put cities together in diffrent regions unless your talking about the Bay Area as a whole.
Not really.

Its called the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

Which is comprised of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco & San Mateo Counties.

Quote:
No one cares about Daly City or Corte Madera either.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Of course they are the 2 best cities in the country.
What are you talking about?
What, you think Chicago or Los Angeles should be inlcuded in this thread? LOL, thats almost comical.
I will tell you what, You should make a thread of Chicago VS Los Angeles as the 3rd best city in the country. I wonder who would win?

I think many here will disagree with your original assertions.

Probably Chicago would win that poll.....but I'd add Philadelphia to that mix.....because of it's center city..

In your poll......I vote for New York......Manhattan seals "the deal" IMO..

Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 PM

290 posts, read 569,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not really.

Its called the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area

Which is comprised of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco & San Mateo Counties.

No one cares about Daly City or Corte Madera either.
Exactly!! the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont statistical area. Im only trying to discuss the San Francisco part of the combined Oakland and Fremont and SF area and why the hell is San Jose not part of this statstical area? Fremont is not even a major city in the Bay Area?
Anyways Im not talking about the Oakland and Fremont part, Im only discussing the San Francisco Side of The BAY!!!!!!The SF side of the BAY!!!! Does this register, Im only trying to discuss SF and the SF peninsula and Marin peninsula. AKA The Golden Gate AKA 415/650 AKA West Bay AKA Niner Empire AKA Greater(or extended) San Francisco.
And as far as Long Island it is called the 6th Borough for goodness sake. Half of Long Island is in New York City (queens and brooklyn), Long Island is an Island, the only way to get to the main land is threw NYC or by boat. New Jersey is another STATE. Weschester county is part of the Lower Hudson Valley area, not the NYC area, it might be part of the metro area but its not part of the NYC city area like Long Island is, theres a difference!! understand this!!!
If any of you ever been to NYC or SF you would already know this!!!!
Its like Im educating a bunch of tourist on the basics ;(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City