U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:01 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,490,776 times

Advertisements

Are there any cities in the U.S. where the Italian or any other mafia is said to have significant influence on business or civic affairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 AM

3,745 posts, read 3,440,331 times
Ummm...lol...not anymore, but I can name cities in which Mafia activity once was siginificantly big. A bunch of 'em in fact...first off..obviously Chicago and New York, Miami, Cleveland, Youngstown, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis, Detroit, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Memphis, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New Orleans...all of these cities I know had Mafia activity in them at some point. And I'm sure we are only touching the tip of the iceberg here. Not sure if the Twin Cities had Mafia activity in them or not but I would imagine they did.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 AM

3,773 posts, read 6,982,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Are there any cities in the U.S. where the Italian or any other mafia is said to have significant influence on business or civic affairs?
My roommate says that Providence,Rhode Island(where he's from) there is a lot of Italian and mafia influence. The smallest state with the biggest crooks.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:56 AM

2,798 posts, read 6,828,647 times
Being that I only live 90 miles from there, I would have to say that Las Vegas (and most of Nevada most likely) has a pretty good mafia thing going on . May or may not be Italian or any other ethnicity, but I think the mafia is still prevalent in Nevada.
I have also heard that certain parts of Southern California has some Mexican mafia, but don't hold me to that, that is just hearsay.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,518,367 times
For all intents and purposes, the Italian Mafia pretty much extinguished itself awhile back. There's still a low presence in some of their old stomping grounds in certain neighborhoods, but nothing like it used to be where they wield heavy power over the local businesses or are in bed with corrupt politicians (although I'm sure there's still a few with some "questionable" dealings). There are however rising numbers of "other" sorts of mob activity in many cities, notably the Russian mob, particularly in parts of Brooklyn. They don't seem to me however to really be entering into the civic/political mix like the Italian mafia of yore though. They sort of just do their own thing without getting heavily involved in actual community issues.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 AM

791 posts, read 2,264,829 times
Without a doubt, it is Providence, RI as well as adjacent suburbs like Cranston and Warwick where if you aren't Italian, you aren't family... if you aren't union, you better dam well appreciate em...and where if you don't like corrupt government, then you better keep your yapper shut or else you may end up on a hit list. I believe the popular former mayor, old Buddy Cianci just finished his prison term for amongst other things, assaulting his former lover with a fire log.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 AM

2,775 posts, read 8,605,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Ummm...lol...not anymore, but I can name cities in which Mafia activity once was siginificantly big. A bunch of 'em in fact...first off..obviously Chicago and New York, Miami, Cleveland, Youngstown, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis, Detroit, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Memphis, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New Orleans...all of these cities I know had Mafia activity in them at some point. And I'm sure we are only touching the tip of the iceberg here. Not sure if the Twin Cities had Mafia activity in them or not but I would imagine they did.
LA, but no Vegas? Almost every city has had the mafia in them, but places like LA and Memphis had maybe one family.

The 5 Big Ones:
NYC--they're still here
Chicago
Boston
Philly
Vegas

Old 07-10-2007, 08:37 AM

2,545 posts, read 5,277,076 times
Definitely still alive and well in the NYC area. There is also presence in Connecticut, specifically Fairfield County (which is metro NYC). They still rule the garbage business round these parts. I also agree that Providence still has a decent mafia presence. It's just not as obvious as it used to be.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM

11,698 posts, read 21,488,667 times
where I grew up in urban NJ. not sure anymore, but i'd venture to say the "rackets" The Sopranos dabbled in (garbage, etc) still exist today. I used to live on the 2nd floor of a house owned by a mob guy (who lived on the 1st), my parents were good friends with him, he helped my parents buy their first house.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,779,496 times
I knew the children of some suspected mob guys when I was a teenager up but we didn't talk about, the kids were pretty normal and didn't go that route (now I can't even remember the one guy's name and probably couldn't find them if I tried). Now it seems like the Russian and Ukrainian organized crime element is a bit more to be reckoned with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City