Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 AM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Night life on any level? LMAO who's coming to DC to party? People in the surrounding area? Maryland? Virginia? sure. DC excels in clubs/bars catering to AA so please wave that flag loud and proud if thats your thing..Im not going to take that from you.

I recently went to DC for the first time to experience it's nightlife..and it was quite dead as far as bustling/street activity. My recent visit to a spot called Bar7 is a prime example.. we had a blast..but it wasnt anything at all that would make me say "Oh Im coming back here!" and while the place had good music and it was full of people..the streets were dead outside. we were able to find parking quite easily and had no problem getting back to the car with no crowds/heavy traffic..In no way would it have been as easy to get around in say Old City too much goin on

However this is about DT's which brings me back to my intial post..DC is still trying to make their DT happen?
It is? What can we take from philly to make it a legitimate downtown ol masterful one. More ethnic whites, more cheesesteaks, more trash? What can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I rather have some grittyness with character and buildings that actually stick out than some sterile generic buildings like DC. I can't name one building that sticks out in DC thats not a monument or in the mall. Downtown DC imo is boring imo. Just a bunch of buildings that are all the same height with extremely wide streets and generic retail that is a ghost town after 5 with the exception of gallery place. DC has a higher crime rate than Philly btw.

shhhhh they dont like to talk about that.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
DC's just an odd city by most standards; it's honestly up to four different ones meshed into one:

1) Touristville (Mall and surrounding areas, Georgetown)
2) Downtown (empty apart from non-work hours, meeting point between Touristville and actual DC)
3) Inner DC (where locals, particularly yuppies and gentrifiers, live; this includes Dupont, U Street, Logan Circle, Adams Morgan, Shaw, Capitol Hill, also Georgetown et al)
4) Outer portions (Wards 4, 5, 7, and 8, although Petworth's growth is making Ward 4 more part of Inner DC)

@nephi: There's a lot of stand out architecture in DC, but it's not in Downtown. Architecturally, though, the city is defined by the overall character of its incredibly-pristine Victorian and colonial rowhouses more than anything else, arguably one of the best collections in the country.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
It is? What can we take from philly to make it a legitimate downtown ol masterful one. More ethnic whites, more cheesesteaks, more trash? What can we do?
HAHAHAHA more trash?! Center City is cleaner than Manhattan. You must not know much... kid. Stop living in the 80's. What you can take from Philly is good bars and clubs that ACTUALLY HAVE people inside. Have you ever been to Mad River? McFaddens? Cav's River deck? Finnegan's Wake? Skybar? Rumor? Roxxy? Bamboo? Not to mention hundreds of other amazing bars and clubs. Five and four star restaurants that litter the city. We are labeled the best eat in the North East and the best eat East of the Mississippi.

While DC certainly has some tourist attractions, Philly's are waaaaaaaayyyy more interesting. Independence Hall? Liberty Bell? Grave yard with Ben Franklin in it? I'll take that any day over a pencil monument that over looks a lake that Freud would claim is a phallic symbol. While I do agree that DC has a large amount of people in the city during the day, it is DEAD at night. No one on the street. Same cannot be said for Rittenhouse Square. Old City, Northern Liberties, UCity, South Street. These areas are bustling until the wee hours of the morning. BTW bars close at 2 a.m., but there are after hour bars that are open until 6 in the morning.

Roxxy Night Club
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMudG21yZPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8Z-G5_hWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YF5kVq56j8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyRBazf9D0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbl9Z...eature=related

Rumor Nigh Club on any given night (rumor has multiple floors with dance floors, this is just one of them).
Rumor Night Club - Philadelphia Aurora Sound & Light 5 - Mobile 1 1.m4v - YouTube

Bamboo Philadelphia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqAiG25MM2c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xduhv1IlG98

Mad River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTIwFiTwEPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAawDjgC7Ik

McFadden's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK-RT-ub68M

BTW, none of these bars or clubs I listed are in Old City. There are plenty more in Old City.

Philly has class A theaters and museums. You're right though, Philadelphia doesn't offer the same cultural amenities.

Wait... does D.C. even have a baseball team?
You clearly must not know much about D.C., or Philly, or anything for that matter. So stop commenting and embarrassing yourselves.

Sorry but there is a reason DC is losing in this poll and Philly is not.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 03-08-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
HAHAHAHA more trash?! Center City is cleaner than Manhattan. You must not know much... kid. Stop living in the 80's. What you can take from Philly is good bars and clubs that ACTUALLY HAVE people inside. Have you ever been to Mad River? McFaddens? Cav's River deck? Finnegan's Wake? Skybar? Rumor? Not to mention hundreds of other amazing bars and clubs. Five and four star restaurants that litter the city. We are labeled the best eat in the North East and the best eat East of the Mississippi.

While DC certainly has some tourist attractions, Philly's are waaaaaaaayyyy more interesting. Independence Hall? Liberty Bell? Grave yard with Ben Franklin in it? I'll take that any day over a pencil monument that over looks a lake that Freud would claim is a phallic symbol. While I do agree that DC has a large amount of people in the city during the day, it is DEAD at night. No one on the street. Same cannot be said for Rittenhouse Square. Old City, Northern Liberties, UCity, South Street. These areas are bustling until the wee hours of the morning. BTW bars close at 2 a.m., but there are after hour bars that are open until 6 in the morning.

You clearly must not know much about D.C., or Philly, or anything for that matter. So stop commenting and embarrassing yourselves.

Well, DC is adding an extreme amount of residents right now and opening an insane amount of restaurants. We are adding major shopping downtown. You can ask anybody in the development world about DC right now. The region is improving in every area from attractions to museums to shopping to 24 hr night life to density to restaurants to rapid mass transportation. There isn't a city anywhere in the nation more up and coming than Washington DC.

The Fillmore just opened and the Howard Theater opens next month with a celebrity chef as the main chef and live performances most nights already booked by everyone from Chaka Kan to Common and Wale. It's going to be a huge addition to DC.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM

422 posts, read 815,722 times
Boston is closing the gap. I wonder if this is about preference or if it's about homers just voting for their dwelling place. I don't live in either one, but I really like all 3. It's weird, because I'm a former Manhattanite and really like Philly. But, all of my family except one, are anti-Philly. I like Boston, however, once again, most of crew are anti-Boston. Interestingly though, they all like DC. Which for me, I think I rank 3rd. I wish there was more than just NW. I like what they are doing around the Navy Yards. I think SW will be a boon in the next 10 years. But everywhere else like NE and SE is like a war zone if you make a wrong turn; not cool these days. I'm not a big suburbia guy so it's hard for me to truly appreciate the metro. I think when it comes down to brass tax, I know I'm going to start a fire storm, but I think it's the city of Brotherly Love.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
HAHAHAHA more trash?! Center City is cleaner than Manhattan. You must not know much... kid. Stop living in the 80's. What you can take from Philly is good bars and clubs that ACTUALLY HAVE people inside. Have you ever been to Mad River? McFaddens? Cav's River deck? Finnegan's Wake? Skybar? Rumor? Not to mention hundreds of other amazing bars and clubs. Five and four star restaurants that litter the city. We are labeled the best eat in the North East and the best eat East of the Mississippi.

Roxxy Night Club

Kinky Friday's @ the ROXXY - Philly - YouTube

Valentine's Day 2010 at Roxxy - YouTube

HALLOWEEN @ THE ROXXY PHILLY - YouTube

Rumor Nigh Club on any given night

Rumor Night Club - Philadelphia Aurora Sound & Light 5 - Mobile 1 1.m4v - YouTube

Philly has class A theaters and museums. You're right though, Philadelphia doesn't offer the same cultural amenities.

Wait... does D.C. even have a baseball team?

Slim DC kills Philly on things to do. It's that simple. Let's take a step away from the Monument and Libery Bell and dig a little deeper. Where in Philly can you see an actual Soviet ICMB? What about read every newspaper from around the world? Or learn about spy technology that the CIA and KGB employed during the Cold War. Or see the actual electric chair that killed some of our most craziest serial killers or murderers. The thing about DC is that it offers so many different things to do and see. DC has something for everybody.

You may be a FDA nerd and want to sit in on a hearing for the latest drug that combats sleeping disorders. Or take some time to trace your heritage and family tree. You can do that in DC. Or learn about Nazi propoganda during WW2. Philly is a great city but it really isnt on DC's level. DC has to many embassies and institutions that offer so many outlets for everyone.

Does Philly have a football team? Last time I checked they have never won a Super Bowl.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Boston is closing the gap. I wonder if this is about preference or if it's about homers just voting for their dwelling place. I don't live in either one, but I really like all 3. It's weird, because I'm a former Manhattanite and really like Philly. But, all of my family except one, are anti-Philly. I like Boston, however, once again, most of crew are anti-Boston. Interestingly though, they all like DC. Which for me, I think I rank 3rd. I wish there was more than just NW. I like what they are doing around the Navy Yards. I think SW will be a boon in the next 10 years. But everywhere else like NE and SE is like a war zone if you make a wrong turn; not cool these days. I'm not a big suburbia guy so it's hard for me to truly appreciate the metro. I think when it comes down to brass tax, I know I'm going to start a fire storm, but I think it's the city of Brotherly Love.
War Zone? Capitol Hill, Senate and House offices are in NE and SE. Most of the rowhouses are nearly a million dollars. You don't know enough about DC to make a generalization. Large parts of NW DC are hood.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Slim DC kills Philly on things to do. It's that simple. Let's take a step away from the Monument and Libery Bell and dig a little deeper. Where in Philly can you see an actual Soviet ICMB? What about read every newspaper from around the world? Or learn about spy technology that the CIA and KGB employed during the Cold War. Or see the actual electric chair that killed some of our most craziest serial killers or murderers. The thing about DC is that it offers so many different things to do and see. DC has something for everybody.

You may be a FDA nerd and want to sit in on a hearing for the latest drug that combats sleeping disorders. Or take some time to trace your heritage and family tree. You can do that in DC. Or learn about Nazi propoganda during WW2. Philly is a great city but it really isnt on DC's level. DC has to many embassies and institutions that offer so many outlets for everyone.

Does Philly have a football team? Last time I checked they have never won a Super Bowl.
They won plenty of championships before the superbowl was invented. And not every sports team can be kick as. We have one of the best baseball teams, hockey teams and Basketball teams. We also have kick ass soccer team. We had to let other cities be superior at at least one sport.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
War Zone? Capitol Hill, Senate and House offices are in NE and SE. Most of the rowhouses are nearly a million dollars. You don't know enough about DC to make a generalization. Large parts of NW DC are hood.
Okay... so do Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill and Fitler Square... oh and Graduate Hospital is getting there with row homes at $800,000 to $900,000. Oh and chestnut hill of course. Which has multi-million dollar mansions WITHIN the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City