Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:21 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,831,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
This is about DT's though kiddo. See the title of the thread?

But even on that note I'm not sleeping on DC's nightlife at all..I enojyed myself when I went..nor would I discredit its "Bustle" but its not the same..thats all I'm saying.
It's obvious that DC has a bigger, busier downtown. No point in beating a dead horse....kiddo. you've been coming up with every excuse in the book and got shut down every time. The only cop-out left is "it's not the same."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,619,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
http://higley1000.com/about-this-sit...ology/top-25-b

Oh look... look at that... what is number one on the list? Wow... Philadelphia?! What?! No way. I thought Philadelphia wasn't a destination for blacks? No blacks want to be here? Right? West Mt. Airy is actually an upper middle class black neighborhood IN THE CITY of Philadelphia.. there are also some wealthy blacks living here... this in the city limits as well, unlike Prince George's County... which I do agree with you is a very prestigious wealthy black area.
Wait..they listed WEST Mount Airy as the "#1 Black Neighborhood in the country"??
That's very bizarre, as I'm from NW Philly, and don't think anyone would call WMA a black neighborhood. Not sure about that website! At best they got their easts and wests confused.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM

13,674 posts, read 15,571,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Talking about little dots is hilarious especially since Downtown DC has a whopping 8,000 people. MDAllstar you are hilarious.
Education is power!

Land Area - ar·e·a/ˈe(ə)rēə/
Noun:
A region or part of a town, a country, or the world.
A space allocated for a specific purpose.

Population - pop·u·la·tion/ˌpäpyəˈlāSHən/
Noun:
All the inhabitants of a particular town, area, or country.
A particular section, group, or type of people or animals living in an area or country.

So, after that elementary school lesson. What does population have to do with the size of center city or the size of downtown DC? Philadelphia is a very large city. Center city is a very small area in relation to the entire city. Population has nothing to do with the tiny percentage of land center city takes up in relation to the rest of the city which looks extremely different than center city I might add. The real question is how often do you all leave center city and explore the north side of the city for example? Serious question...

Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,598,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Education is power!

Land Area - ar·e·a/ˈe(ə)rēə/
Noun:
A region or part of a town, a country, or the world.
A space allocated for a specific purpose.

Population - pop·u·la·tion/ˌpäpyəˈlāSHən/
Noun:
All the inhabitants of a particular town, area, or country.
A particular section, group, or type of people or animals living in an area or country.

So, after that elementary school lesson. What does population have to do with the size of center city or the size of downtown DC? Philadelphia is a very large city. Center city is a very small area in relation to the entire city. Population has nothing to do with the tiny percentage of land center city takes up in relation to the rest of the city which looks extremely different than center city I might add. The real question is how often do you all leave center city and explore the north side of the city for example? Serious question...
Center City alone is 2 square miles... if you add UCity to it, which us Philadelphian's do (we consider both of them as one downtown the same way Bostonians consider the Back Bay apart of their downtown and Chicagoans consider the Mag Mile a part of their downtown), then it is about 4 square miles total. I agree it is not very large at all, but it is still pretty significant in size, and both of these areas together have a population of about 150,000. That is not including tourists, our 6 million metro population of commuters who are either visiting the city for the day/night/weekend/week or commuters who work in the city. It's not including students who go to the many schools in the area and it is not including people from other parts of the city who are going downtown. Center City alone on any giving day has at least 300,000 in it. These areas together can easily swell to 500,000 to 600,000 people a day.

So yes it is a relatively small land area of 4 square miles (which is not very small at all infact), but it is by no means a small dot. If you call that a small dot then what is DC? Invisible?

P.S. the boundaries of Center City are very unclear. The borders that are certain are river to river, south street to the south. It gets tricky to the North however. Some people say Vine Street or I-76 is the border to the north. Some people say Spring Garden Street and some people say Fairmount ave. If these borders are true or are ever considered as the border to CC that would easily increase the land area of CC by another 2 square miles.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM

This conversation reminds me of the way people act in relation to "that side of the family" which people try to pretend doesn't exist when attending family events because they embarrass you all the time. Will the real Philadelphia please stand up? Does anybody on this site from Philadelphia actually not live in center city?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,802,957 times
Wow, how can a Philly Vs Boston Vs DC tread go like 3 pages with only a passing mention of Boston!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Center City alone is 2 square miles... if you add UCity to it, which us Philadelphian's do (we consider both of them as one downtown the same way Bostonians consider the Back Bay apart of their downtown and Chicagoans consider the Mag Mile a part of their downtown), then it is about 4 square miles total. I agree it is not very large at all, but it is still pretty significant in size, and both of these areas together have a population of about 150,000. That is not including tourists, our 6 million metro population of commuters who are either visiting the city for the day/night/weekend/week or commuters who work in the city. It's not including students who go to the many schools in the area and it is not including people from other parts of the city who are going downtown. Center City alone on any giving day has at least 300,000 in it. These areas together can easily swell to 500,000 to 600,000 people a day.

So yes it is a relatively small land area of 4 square miles (which is not very small at all infact), but it is by no means a small dot. If you call that a small dot then what is DC? Invisible?

P.S. the boundaries of Center City are very unclear. The borders that are certain are river to river, south street to the south. It gets tricky to the North however. Some people say Vine Street or I-76 is the border to the north. Some people say Spring Garden Street and some people say Fairmount ave. If these borders are true or are ever considered as the border to CC that would easily increase the land area of CC by another 2 square miles.
That is all fine and dandy but, you didn't answer the question. Do you ever leave the area's you mentioned and explore area's to the north or west? I never hear you all talk about any development going on in the places that actually need it.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Wait..they listed WEST Mount Airy as the "#1 Black Neighborhood in the country"??
That's very bizarre, as I'm from NW Philly, and don't think anyone would call WMA a black neighborhood. Not sure about that website! At best they got their easts and wests confused.
Many of those neighborhoods aren't even black neighborhoods. They are mixed neighborhoods. Who in the world made this list? If a neighborhood is not 70%-100% black, it's not a black neighborhood.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,831,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Wow, how can a Philly Vs Boston Vs DC tread go like 3 pages with only a passing mention of Boston!
Bostonians seem to have been too busy helping philly against DC.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM

13,940 posts, read 14,802,957 times
I think Boston feels like its larger than DC, eventhough DC's built envoirment on a DT level extends further out, Boston feels larger for 4 reasons
1) the Narrower streets coupled with the Taller buildings make it seem more clausterphobic
2) with the Lack of grid you never see past Downtown into the outer areas or into a break of Development (park river ect.
3) with the lack of grid you never walk in a straight line through the City (the shortest path)
4) its more Vibrant, during most of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City