Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Top 10 Museums in the US for Families - AOL Travel News

oh and here you go you delusional's... PMA is ranked with the Smithsonian as some of the greatest Museums in America....
Are you really trying to put Philly's museums up against DC? Philly has some great quality, but DC has great quality and quantity. Have you been to do DC? Do you have any idea how many museums are in DC? We just broke ground on another one to add to our staggering collection. It will be the greatest African American History and Culture museum this country has ever seen. The shear number of historical artifacts that will be on display in this museum is mindbl owing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Well look at the poll results... that's all i gotta say. I'm done arguing with you delusional people. DC is great, but Philly and Boston spank it all day long in every battle except for government presence... face it. End of story. And stop calling people "homer's" when you're so delusional and so set on proving DC is the best that you aren't even posting correct facts. People can have their own opinions but don't try to say **** like their facts... cause frankly it pisses me off. And while you may have one or two good museums. Philly has A PLETHORA OF AMAZING MUSEUMS...
Wow, this post is amazing. Now Philly beats DC in museums. LMAO. And Philly spanks DC in every category. LOL Hmmmmm. I can list 20 major categories that Philly loses in head to head to DC. Let's take a quick peek at a few. Per Capita Income...... Educated Populace............Jobs..............Diversity... ...........Cultural Attractions...........Tourism................World Influence...............Housing Market.............Transportation..........I can keep going.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are you really trying to put Philly's museums up against DC? Philly has some great quality, but DC has great quality and quantity. Have you been to do DC? Do you have any idea how many museums are in DC? We just broke ground on another one to add to our staggering collection. It will be the greatest African American History and Culture museum this country has ever seen. The shear number of historical artifacts that will be on display in this museum is mindbl owing.

DC has more museums I would think but no lack of them in Philly either.

If in relation to Art Museums (My original reply) to DC; very similar between the two (I think the National Galley while excellent is a little over-rated while a little better than PMA, the Met in NYC is still far superior to either of those. And in Philly the Barnes and Rodin offer aspects not found in DC on the arts scene, expecially if you include small galleries and actual art scene)

Glad to see an AA museum in DC; there has been one for years in Philly which is also adding the National Revolutionary war museum to the newly opened Atwater, Jewich History, and Constitution Center all in that general area.

Neither is deficient in this category (museums in general) but based on the Smithsonian would say DC has more

On the other question in this thread; not sure maybe Harlem; but to me urban doesnt have to be highrise; West Village is probably my favorite urban area in the country and is by no means a high rise nabe. But regardless not sure there a AA nabe per se but also many top urban nabes are adding more AAs to what are generally pretty diverse (albeit usually majority Caucasion nabes they are also more diverse than the typical american amercian demographic. The largest outlier (or lack there of proportionally) group in these nabes is not AAs but hispanics actually around the US

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-09-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Well look at the poll results... that's all i gotta say. I'm done arguing with you delusional people. DC is great, but Philly and Boston spank it all day long in every battle except for government presence... face it. End of story. And stop calling people "homer's" when you're so delusional and so set on proving DC is the best that you aren't even posting correct facts. People can have their own opinions but don't try to say **** like their facts... cause frankly it pisses me off. And while you may have one or two good museums. Philly has A PLETHORA OF AMAZING MUSEUMS...

Philly has no answer for......

Air and Space
Native American
Spy
Crime and Punishment
Natural History
Holocaust

Here are the rest!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ashington,_D.C.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You haven't provided any facts stating how and why philly has a better downtown; co-signing other philly posters does NOT count, son.
Actually i've provided my own personal experience in DC..but seeing as how you can barely put together a grammatically correct sentence I dont really expect you to be able read properly. Also its not just Philly poster's that caught on to the delusions of these two posters, Boston and posters from abroad all have come to the same conclusion in this thread and most have given up on trying to reason with them.

Ps. You and your comrades can cry all day...the poll number's say it all. Not just about Philly/Boston leading the poll but look at the drop off between those two and DC. Pack up and move on please..

Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Actually i've provided my own personal experince in DC..but seeing as how you can barely put together a grammatically correct sentence I dont really expect you to be able read properly. Also its not just Philly poster's that caught on to the delusions of these two posters, Boston and posters from abroad all have come to the same conclusion in this thread and most have given up on trying to reason with them.

Ps. You and your comrades can cry all day...the poll number's say it all. not just about Philly/Boston leading the poll but look at the drop off between those two and DC. Pack up and move on please..
Poll numbers are for losers. Show me something concrete. DC has more influence, is a major power broker, is more international and sophisticated, richer, more educated and economically better off than Philly.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Whether you have a hard time believing it or not, it's true. One of the main differences has more to do with the crowd. I will give you an example. Most of the places you most likely attend have a "mixed crowd" which is code word for mostly caucasian with a few token African American, Asian, and Hispanic people thrown in. Rarely are the minorities the majority in the club. Just look at the video's the guy from Philadelphia posted. Most caucasians would be uncomfortable in a club with mostly black people unless they are used to that environment. In D.C., we have classy upscale clubs where we are the majority. That doesn't exist in many places. The thing is, when people are used to being the majority in everything through life, they have no idea what it's like to be the minority in places. This applies to most caucasians in this country. In D.C., it's normal to have a black majority in attendance at a upscale club or upscale restaurant. In Boston for instance, that is not normal. Irish people in Boston however don't give it a second thought because to them, a city with great live music they enjoy, bars they enjoy, and a huge cultural influence from their heritage molds the city they live in. Perception is based on your experiences and surroundings. That is why this is so subjective. Serious question, how many black people are in the bars you have frequented in Philly or Boston? Sometimes, taking your own observations can open your eyes to realities that shape people's taste in a city.
This pretty much sums everything up. I am white and prefer the scene in Boston/NYC/Philly over DC, I can def understand why Blacks would prefer DC. I have this argument all the time with my Black friends about the nightlife in DC; they think it is the best in the country, and I can name 5 or 6 cities that I strongly prefer.

In terms of Restaurants, DC and Philly really cater to different crowds (generally speaking). Philly (like NYC, Chicago, SF) is more of a "foodie" scene, where you are more likely to find Chefs who are very creative and offering things that are more "out there", where in DC, many of the restaurants cater to the "expense card" crowd. Obviously there are Great, Creative Chefs in DC such as Jose Andres (Oyamel is my fav restaurant in DC), however this is just my observation living in DC and visiting PHilly dozens of times.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Poll numbers are for losers. Show me something concrete. DC has more influence, is a major power broker, is more international and sophisticated, richer, more educated and economically better off than Philly.
-Stuff delusional people say

Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Wow, this post is amazing. Now Philly beats DC in museums. LMAO. And Philly spanks DC in every category. LOL Hmmmmm. I can list 20 major categories that Philly loses in head to head to DC. Let's take a quick peek at a few. Per Capita Income...... Educated Populace............Jobs..............Diversity... ...........Cultural Attractions...........Tourism................World Influence...............Housing Market.............Transportation..........I can keep going.

Actully DC lets take a look, and remeber this is fo DTs

Educated Populace - Philly is actually FAR ahead of DC in the DT (Isnt this about DTs?) - FACT; Philadelphia among US DTs has the highest percentage of post grad residents of any DT in america and is the third (NYC and Boston ahead) most educated in the country in terms of percentage with a collge degree; Brookings has a great study on this; go read it

Jobs - DC has more jobs in the DT

Diversity - Philly is more diverse DT - again look up stats (BTW is also on the city level just for reference, on metro would say DC is moreso)

Cultural Attractions - Just dont agree but are both very similar but define the DC narrow definition of this and am sure you can narrow to the point to show your DC winner

Tourism - DC more Philly no sloutch with about 30 some million annually

Transportation - Similar overall but DC Metro is more modern and with higher ridership

World Influence - America has vast world influence- Unless you are congressman or Pres not sure how this impacts you but would agree DC has tremedous influence based on the centralization of the Govt

Housing Market - better define. Because DT Philly added more people than did DT DC over the last ten years and is still accelerating (I know this will shock you but is also true; maybe DC will add more next decade not sure; my guess is extremly close on the DTs)

Some others

Vibrancy, College, Higher Education, History etc.

Both are very good but watch what you post at least three of your proclamations can be proven wrong in pure seconds

Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Philly has no answer for......

Air and Space
Native American
Spy
Crime and Punishment
Natural History
Holocaust

Here are the rest!

List of museums in Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. These are nice museums, don't get me wrong, but they are (The Spy and C&P museums in particular) very much "entertainment" museums. They are akin to "Ripley's Believe it or Not" and "Madam Tussaud's" museums. It's not something that anyone takes seriously. It's where I would expect to take my young nieces and nephews. Then we'd grab an ice cream cone afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City