Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times

Advertisements

Expected to like but instead found disappointing:
1. Charlotte - There's just not much going on. Uptown is sooo small...
2. Denver - I didn't care for downtown, and felt it was too separated from the surrounding neighborhoods. I also didn't care for the Mall area (too many big box restaurants)
3. The Hampton Roads - I love the beach and think the bridges are cool, but the food scene (especially in VA Beach) is just not what I was hoping for. Too much sprawl and Norfolk is just dead downtown.

Expected to dislike (at least skeptical) but instead enjoyed:
1. Charleston, SC - Thought it would be too southern for me, but it's just packed with history, walkable neighborhoods, great food, nice people, etc.
2. Richmond, VA (live here for now) - For a smaller city, Richmond has a lot to offer. Again, I thought it would be very southern and very boring, but it's actually quite walkable with lots of history and a pretty solid art scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
expected to dislike (at least skeptical) but instead enjoyed :

Pittsburgh
Baltimore

Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Expected to dislike but like/love:

San Francisco -- I thought it would be over-hyped and snotty. Maybe it is, but I still really loved it and enoyed it and felt very 'myself' there. The liberalness didn't seem 'in your face' to me and instead just seemed more laid back and friendly, plus the beauty and it's a cosmopolitan city where you can get whatever you want or need.

Las Vegas - I'm absolutley in love with it's over the top-ness, gaudiness, opulence, spas, restraunts, fun, and I also enjoy the desert climate and mountains and desert mystique now and then.

Didn't like but expected I would, or feel expected to like (more like!)

Austin: I don't dislike Austin...it just didn't hit me as such a wonderul place, definitley over-hyped though I probably would rather live there than San Antonio, San Antonio was much more of a pleasant and unexpected suprise. I like the hill country. Overall though, Austin ...it's ok. It has a much more concetrated and militant 'liberal' feel to me than San Francisco. It's too small to contain it's politics...in other words, too many people who appear all the 'same' to me.

I have lots more that are just sorta 'in the middle' I guess. With no major expectations to go with them. Or it's been so long I can't remember the original disappointment!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Let me add a couple of more:

Atlanta is a city that I did not expect to dislike. However, my family practically hates it, so I didn't know what I would think. I spent five days there and rather enjoyed myself. However, I was disgusted by how covered many of the banks and hillsides are out in the ATL suburbs; you almost couldn't see the grass in some cases b/c it was so covered in wrappers and junk. Still, many-a-great things about ATL, and the city proper is much more urban than many would expect.

Dayton, Ohio is a city that I always have not thought I would like. And, lo and behold, I've been like eight times over the last two years. I never cease to be disappointed. At least some of the customer service people are nice, but the general vibe throughout basically is one of depression.

If you've noticed a theme...Louisville, Cincy, C'bus, Nashville and now Dayton. I'm from the Ohio Valley and yet basically don't care for it.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
UNIMPRESSED: Columbus, Georgia.

Columbus, GA highly regards itself as being the 3rd largest city in GA and natives are quick to point out that it will pass Augusta and take second place (it might do this, population wise).

Considering that it's city proper population doubles mines (Macon, GA), I expected to find a much stronger urban fabric with noticeably more amenities.

I got there only to find a slower paced town (only connected to I-85 by a sleepy spur...its out in the middle of nowhere) with similar shopping options (less and smaller malls actually), similar dining options, similar downtown amenities (though lacking in appearance, no skyline) and less nightlife options. I didnt expect that from a city with twice the population as where I came from.

It was more like a large town as opposed to a small urban city.

IMPRESSED: Huntsville, Alabama

It's naturally beautiful, modernized, growing and just the complete opposite of the stereotypical Alabama.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:19 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
KCMO, Seattle, Trenton

Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
PHiladelphia! a weak downtown, and the city is boring, despite history. The only things I like are Ben Franklin and S. Philly. I also liked the 25 cent shuttle tour. The guy is friendly and passionate about his city. The skyline, while relatively tall, is small and uninteresting except for Comcast tower. As for cheesesteaks, a good cheesesteak can be found anywhere in the U.S..

Old 12-04-2010, 08:15 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
PHiladelphia! a weak downtown, and the city is boring, despite history. The only things I like are Ben Franklin and S. Philly. I also liked the 25 cent shuttle tour. The guy is friendly and passionate about his city. The skyline, while relatively tall, is small and uninteresting except for Comcast tower. As for cheesesteaks, a good cheesesteak can be found anywhere in the U.S..
The hate continues.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 PM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Expected to like but didnt:
(1) Charlotte - seems to be the most popular one. I have heard great things about this place so when I moved here I guess I expected way too much. Very boring place and nothing extraordinary or spectacular about here.
(2) Tampa - Not what I envisioned it to be. With the exception of Ybor City not much going on. Plus the beach is in St.Petersburg
(3) Boston - Just didn't get that big city feel there. Ialways thought of Boston as a mini NY but for the week I was there I found it dull. Downtown is very nice and a lot of nice shopping however.

Expected to dislike but liked:
(1) Nashville - since often compared to Charlotte I was expecting the same experience but I like Nashville much better. More to do on a daily basis and better social scene and better city amenities imo.
(2) Greenville, SC - while I usually enjoy larger cities I enjoyed Greenville. Nice walkable downtown with lots of little shops and unique places to eat, shop, and lots of coffee houses. Lots of great places to eat around town also
(3) Providence - very beautiful city....at 26 wouldn't live there but would consider after kids are moved out.

**I love the East Coast been all up and down :-)

Old 12-05-2010, 12:04 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Expected to like but didn't:

Boston - Pretty much what everyone else has said. Felt like a toy city; like being shrunk to fit a miniature model city one would see in a museum or something. Even with people walking around it felt empty.

Expected to dislike but liked:

I like to think I keep an open mind, so I don't have negative preconceived notions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City