Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:10 PM

254 posts, read 693,564 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the Bay Area (San Mateo) but now live in Fresno. Some of the best chinese food I have ever had has actually been in places where the cooks are Mexican. At least here in Fresno, it seems at all the eatery places, the cooks are mostly Mexican, including some very delicious chinese food places. Just food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Even Philly?
I have not been there to tell you the truth.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Even Philly?
Yes

Old 11-24-2010, 09:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Yes
Oh?

Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
San Gabriel Valley in LA is the best in the country. 2nd is Toronto if we're talking about North America. Flushing in NYC has some good places but nothing near depth and range that you get in LA.

Anyone who says Chinatown of ANY city doesn't know real chinese food and rightfully should be made fun of. It's not chop suey and orange battered chicken.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
In order:

1. SF
2. LA
3. NYC

Also, Boston does have some surprisingly good options. Many of the restaurants like China Pearl and New Asia are places I still hit every time I'm back home and can hold their own against many of the restaurants here in SF.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Anyone who says Chinatown of ANY city doesn't know real chinese food and rightfully should be made fun of. It's not chop suey and orange battered chicken.
Take it you haven't been to SF's Chinatown, then? LA's Chinatown is pretty lame, but SF's Chinatown has some awesome food. Go into any place packed with Chinese immigrants and ask for chop suey... see what happens.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Take it you haven't been to SF's Chinatown, then? LA's Chinatown is pretty lame, but SF's Chinatown has some awesome food. Go into any place packed with Chinese immigrants and ask for chop suey... see what happens.
Yeah San Francisco has the most vibrant urban old Chinatowns left in a the center of a US city(the other is probably New York)---which in part due to the fact that you actually still have a lot of Chinese living in the neighborhood(It's actually one of the densest neighborhoods in the entire country) Outside some of the touristy joints on Grant Street, there's a lot of good Chinese food. And SF also has the newer Chinatown over on Clement Street, which is usually where my family would go eat dim sum in the city.

But I kind of see what the other poster is getting at--a lot of Chinatowns across the country are kind of shells of what they used to be since the Chinese populations have spread out across metro areas. A lot of Chinatowns in the country are left for the tourists and the occasional Chinese festival. Vancouver BC, which is up there with San Francisco for having a high percentage of Chinese, has an old Chinatown that seemed pretty quiet the last time I was there, while the suburbs have huge fancy Chinese restaurants in giant malls populated mostly by Chinese businesses.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:17 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Dude, I lived in San Francisco. And locals in San Francisco don't even go to chinatown for the best chinese food. They go to the suburbs. New Yorkers in the know don't go there either. They go to Flushing. It's no longer the 1960s.

Tourists go to Chinatown.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Dude, I lived in San Francisco. And locals in San Francisco don't even go to chinatown for the best chinese food. They go to the suburbs. New Yorkers in the know don't go there either. They go to Flushing. It's no longer the 1960s.

Tourists go to Chinatown.
You mean to tell me that the (nearly all-Chinese) residents of Chinatown get on a bus and go out to Clement Street or down the Peninsula to get good Chinese?

I know that it's foodie-cool to dis well-known ethnic enclaves, but whether people like it or not, SF's Chinatown is still populated mostly by Chinese people, many of whom also work there, and thus dine and buy groceries there. There are the places on Grant that have women in chomsangs and bamboo hats pushing flyers into the hands of passing tourists who serve chop suey and chicken fingers, and then there are places on Stockton Street where they've got eviscerated livestock in the windows and you can get chou doufu and pickled quail eggs while you wait. Nary a non-Chinese person to be seen inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City