U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2010, 03:50 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,795,270 times
Reputation: 1228

Advertisements

Lol ok Stan. You're defending him like he fathered you.
Stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,646 posts, read 5,004,363 times
Reputation: 2268
Salt Lake City or Boise are the obvious answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
 
1,670 posts, read 2,623,811 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Lol ok Stan. You're defending him like he fathered you.
Stop it.
Look don't kill the messenger.
Quote:
"Within The United States, Nelly has sold in excess of 22.5 million albums, on a worldwide scale, he has been certified gold and/or platinum in more than 35 countries, estimates bring his total record sales to over 40 Million Sold....generating revenues of more than $320 Million (US) and making Nelly the second most successful rapper in history."
Answers.com - How many albums has nelly sold

I prefer Drake's music to Nelly's any day of the week, but he's still behind by about 39 million records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,249 posts, read 25,960,605 times
Reputation: 9013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Look don't kill the messenger.


Answers.com - How many albums has nelly sold

I prefer Drake's music to Nelly's any day of the week, but he's still behind by about 39 million records.
Just because you sell alot of records does not mean you are skilled though. Most of Nelly's sells are coming from females especially in the suburbs. But he is not skilled. Not nearly touching Nas, Rakim, Jay Z, Scarface, Andre 3000, or any of the new cats like Jay Electronica, Blu, J. Cole, or Freddie Gibbs. He became popular more because of his nursery rhyme hooks than actual skill in verses.

To answer the question though. DC is more of a lounge/bar city than it is a club city. You have a couple clubs that's popular but most people over 25 stay away from them. Houston though is heavily hip hop in clubs. They do have lounges and it's starting to become a popular bar city. But the club scene is VERY underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM
 
1,670 posts, read 2,623,811 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Just because you sell alot of records does not mean you are skilled though. Most of Nelly's sells are coming from females especially in the suburbs. But he is not skilled. Not nearly touching Nas, Rakim, Jay Z, Scarface, Andre 3000, or any of the new cats like Jay Electronica, Blu, J. Cole, or Freddie Gibbs. He became popular more because of his nursery rhyme hooks than actual skill in verses.

To answer the question though. DC is more of a lounge/bar city than it is a club city. You have a couple clubs that's popular but most people over 25 stay away from them. Houston though is heavily hip hop in clubs. They do have lounges and it's starting to become a popular bar city. But the club scene is VERY underrated.
LOL, you all have my point completely confused. I never said that he was skilled or not. I just wanted to make sure we weren't sleeping on the fact that he is a seasoned artist with the sales to match. The industry could care less who is purchasing, as long as they are purchasing. It's a numbers game, and that's what it all comes down to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,705,990 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I've seen then in different cities. They are no different and of course the crowds are different but that happens in the cities hip hop club scene. This is not a complaint about the genre, but the clubs. The clubs don't really differ much and get the same stereotypes in all of them.







Like I said they aren't the same. From your picutres even. If you see greeks at a Detroit hip hop club, on the regular that have NOTHING to do with it being a college party (or even then) please point them out. Why is it that people don't make these comments concerning country? techno/house? or anything else? but when hip hop is mentioned its a whole other thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,249 posts, read 25,960,605 times
Reputation: 9013
Ok. got you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
 
Location: GA-TX
442 posts, read 679,661 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Like I said they aren't the same. From your picutres even. If you see greeks at a Detroit hip hop club, on the regular that have NOTHING to do with it being a college party (or even then) please point them out. Why is it that people don't make these comments concerning country? techno/house? or anything else? but when hip hop is mentioned its a whole other thing?
You may not see greeks but you will see some thug. Also, we are talking about " hip hop club scene", not the music scene. If we were discussing "techno" (techno is a genre not a umbrella) clubs you would get these complaints. I've actually seen these complaint in regards to dubstep and hipster bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,705,990 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
You may not see greeks but you will see some thug. Also, we are talking about " hip hop club scene", not the music scene. If we were discussing "techno" (techno is a genre not a umbrella) clubs you would get these complaints. I've actually seen these complaint in regards to dubstep and hipster bars.
thugs???? how do you know every last person who go to hip hop clubs are thugs? stop assuming. Techno music was created in Detroit I know what it is. But if I was to ask "what cities have the best techno club scene" or "best country club scene" no one would have anything negative to say. Matter of fact I've already seen threads about the techno/house club scenes and no one said anything negative.

Now if the "hip hop club scene" is not your thing then don't comment.....simple as that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM
 
Location: GA-TX
442 posts, read 679,661 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
thugs???? how do you know every last person who go to hip hop clubs are thugs? stop assuming. Techno music was created in Detroit I know what it is. But if I was to ask "what cities have the best techno club scene" or "best country club scene" no one would have anything negative to say. Matter of fact I've already seen threads about the techno/house club scenes and no one said anything negative.

Now if the "hip hop club scene" is not your thing then don't comment.....simple as that
1. I never said they were all thugs.
2. You are not talking about the hip hop scene, you are talking hip hop clubs which is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top