U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:34 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,700,060 times

Advertisements

Which cities do you think have the best hip hop club scene?
criteria:
-best music? variety of music? (music from each region
-best drinks
-best food
-crowd/people

well you pretty much get the point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 AM

106 posts, read 151,984 times
New York is the biggest city and this is where it was born so it should be up there, I heard Atlanta is popping nowadays too

Old 11-22-2010, 06:16 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,854,176 times
OK, I know people are going to flood in and say "ATL" and I love ATL as it is the largest and most popular city in my state, but I have to point something out.

The clubs I've been to up there are Prime Time, Velvet Room, Motions, Nocturnal (I think it has a diff name now), Club Miami, Dreams, Libra, Central Station, Compound, and Frequency. Of all the other nightspots in ATL, are there any more hip-hop/hip hop influenced clubs that offer a completely different feel than any of those I just named???

If not, even here in the Central Georgia area (Macon, Warner Robins, Ft. Valley, etc.) I can find clubs that provide the same type of environment as those. The women are fine in ATL, but not noticeably better than anything I'd find around here. Similar story for the music. You can find the same drinks here, except cheaper. Food? I dont know because I dont eat at clubs. Keep in mind, my area is a CSA of just under 400,000 people that most people have never even heard of. ATL is much larger, of course, so there are more spots to choose from, but it's just more of the same type of stuff we have here. I've yet to find a nightspot there that just knocks me out of my feet, as one might expect with all the hype about ATL.

When ever I travel just up the road to party, the best thing I can say is "atleast it's good to see different faces" lol but I could say that about going anywhere not in Macon metro.

When I consider those things, and the fact that there are several other major cities with heavy black populations.......ATL really hasnt shown me anything that would suggest it has better clubs than any other major cities with lots of blacks (Detroit, Houston, Dallas, St. Louis, Cincy, Cleveland, Philly, let alone the Behemoths of LA, CHI and NYC)

I have to think that ATL's hip-hop club scene is overrated, and people would only bring it up because most new age rappers are from there and it is viewed as a black mecca.....but it's not like when you actually go out to the clubs there, they can provide you some sort of jaw dropping experience that you cant experience in any other large city with a heavy black pop, or even mid-sized.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 11-22-2010 at 06:27 AM..

Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 AM

442 posts, read 678,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
OK, I know people are going to flood in and say "ATL" and I love ATL as it is the largest and most popular city in my state, but I have to point something out.

The clubs I've been to up there are Prime Time, Velvet Room, Motions, Nocturnal (I think it has a diff name now), Club Miami, Dreams, Libra, Central Station, Compound, and Frequency. Of all the other nightspots in ATL, are there any more hip-hop/hip hop influenced clubs that offer a completely different feel than any of those I just named???

If not, even here in the Central Georgia area (Macon, Warner Robins, Ft. Valley, etc.) I can find clubs that provide the same type of environment as those. The women are fine in ATL, but not noticeably better than anything I'd find around here. Similar story for the music. You can find the same drinks here, except cheaper. Food? I dont know because I dont eat at clubs. Keep in mind, my area is a CSA of just under 400,000 people that most people have never even heard of. ATL is much larger, of course, so there are more spots to choose from, but it's just more of the same type of stuff we have here. I've yet to find a nightspot there that just knocks me out of my feet, as one might expect with all the hype about ATL.

When ever I travel just up the road to party, the best thing I can say is "atleast it's good to see different faces" lol but I could say that about going anywhere not in Macon metro.

When I consider those things, and the fact that there are several other major cities with heavy black populations.......ATL really hasnt shown me anything that would suggest it has better clubs than any other major cities with lots of blacks (Detroit, Houston, Dallas, St. Louis, Cincy, Cleveland, Philly, let alone the Behemoths of LA, CHI and NYC)

I have to think that ATL's hip-hop club scene is overrated, and people would only bring it up because most new age rappers are from there and it is viewed as a black mecca.....but it's not like when you actually go out to the clubs there, they can provide you some sort of jaw dropping experience that you cant experience in any other large city with a heavy black pop, or even mid-sized.

I am not sure how "jaw dropping" you expect a typical hip hop club to be. Aren't most of them either filled with thugs or yuppie blacks doing their fraternity/sorority thing? What on earth are you expecting aside from ignorant or dumb dance rap, half dressed booty shaking, dread head thugs, sorority sisters walking in line, The occasional shooting and yuppie blacks who take themselves too seriously and probably spent way to much on their clothing? It is just a hip hop club.

Last edited by sk8t; 11-22-2010 at 06:59 AM..

Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:

I believe people hype up ATL's club scene due to celebrity appearances. I have friends who moved out to Atlanta and just recently moved back to Texas. I asked them about the club scene and they said besides the celebrities; it's pretty much the same as Houston.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I am not sure how "jaw dropping" you expect a typical hip hop club to be. Aren't most of them either filled with thugs or yuppie blacks doing their fraternity/sorority thing? What on earth are you expecting aside from ignorant or dumb dance rap, half dressed booty shaking, dread head thugs, sorority sisters walking in line, The occasional shooting and yuppie blacks who take themselves too seriously and probably spent way to much on their clothing? It is just a hip hop club.

The occasional shootings by thugs are something that can be done without, and MOST people at hip hop clubs arent there to cause trouble. That's why you try to avoid the particular clubs where that is prevalent.

You have an obvious distaste for hip hop clubs, but I dont know why you are coming down so hard on these clubs for all the other reasons.

Regardless of the type, most clubs with younger people are going to be filled with half dressed females, pop/club songs, and drunk guys who get into it at times, which could also be done without, but it happens. So let's not act like those things are exclusive to hip hop clubs.

Personally.... I can have a good time anywhere with hot women, a good dj, safe enough environment, suitable facility and alcohol.

It's just that with all the hype surrounding ATL's nightlife........you'd expect to see something that's just so much more exciting, interesting, unique, etc. than anywhere else.....and I just havent saw it.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I believe people hype up ATL's club scene due to celebrity appearances. I have friends who moved out to Atlanta and just recently moved back to Texas. I asked them about the club scene and they said besides the celebrities; it's pretty much the same as Houston.
Yeah, I believe that's a reason too...lol but who needs them to have a good time? So when they say that, I just dont think it's a very good reason to say it's "better"

Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
The occasional shootings by thugs are something that can be done without, and MOST people at hip hop clubs arent there to cause trouble. That's why you try to avoid the particular clubs where that is prevalent.

You have an obvious distaste for hip hop clubs, but I dont know why you are coming down so hard on these clubs for all the other reasons.

Regardless of the type, most clubs with younger people are going to be filled with half dressed females, pop/club songs, and drunk guys who get into it at times, which could also be done without, but it happens. So let's not act like those things are exclusive to hip hop clubs.

Personally.... I can have a good time anywhere with hot women, a good dj, safe enough environment, suitable facility and alcohol.

It's just that with all the hype surrounding ATL's nightlife........you'd expect to see something that's just so much more exciting, interesting, unique, etc. than anywhere else.....and I just havent saw it.
My point is, that hip hop clubs are going to be the same regardless of where you are, especially in the south. If you are limiting yourself to this scene then you won't get much in terms of "unique" experiences.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Which cities do you think have the best hip hop club scene?
criteria:
-best music? variety of music? (music from each region
-best drinks
-best food
-crowd/people

well you pretty much get the point

It is one thing to say "best hip hop scene", it is another to say "best hip hop clubs scene". Hip Hop clubs don't really differ that much no matter what city you are in. It is a pretty standard formula once you get past the regions local music ( juke, b-more house, gogo, crunk, etc) and clothing.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 AM

908 posts, read 1,514,577 times
Probably Atlanta since it is the black mecca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City