Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Obviously you fail to include the back story to this. The people waving the flags were White Supremacists who started with the Mexicans saying they should leave the country.

You fail to watch the whole video where white supremacists were screaming at them to go home without provocation.
it was cinco de mayo and american students wore american flag shirts to school and the mexicans were offended by it. they're not white supremacists for saying the mexicans should leave the country. the mexicans were waving the mexican flags all over and complaining about americans wearing shirts with the american flag on them, which is clearly in allegiance to mexico, which is a violation of the oath they accepted upon being rewarded the privilege, not right, of citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
That's not what happened. The white students went up to the Mexican students and began to pick a fight. They told the Mexican students to go home and called them racist names. This was unprovoked. I am not condoning what either side did. The Mexican students should not have responded in the manner in which they did (physical) because everyone has freedom of speech.

So if Mexican students cannot waive a Mexican flag, then can a southerner not wave a Confederate flag? Both flags represent countries that fought wars against the United States.

Don't tell me the CSA is part of American history and that's why it's excusable. So is Mexico. For many years, Mexico owned and controlled close to 40% of the continental US.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
That's not what happened. The white students went up to the Mexican students and began to pick a fight. They told the Mexican students to go home and called them racist names. This was unprovoked. I am not condoning what either side did. The Mexican students should not have responded in the manner in which they did (physical) because everyone has freedom of speech.

So if Mexican students cannot waive a Mexican flag, then can a southerner not wave a Confederate flag? Both flags represent countries that fought wars against the United States.

Don't tell me the CSA is part of American history and that's why it's excusable. So is Mexico. For many years, Mexico owned and controlled close to 40% of the continental US.
where the hell did you come up with that crap? the white students began to pick a fight with the mexicans? they didn't "pick a fight" with them but they should've picked a fight with the mexicans, the mexicans are breaking the oath they accepted, got called out for it, and now they're playing victim? screw that crap. i would've called them out too. Students told to remove American flags on Cinco de Mayo | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

if someone does have a confederate flag on display it should be below the american flag or to the left of the american flag. and i support what the csa stood for, state's rights.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 11-28-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 01:30 PM

321 posts, read 1,125,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i do believe in freedom, however if they don't respect what my ancestors fought for then they don't deserve to be here. you can be free to live your life, choose a career, go to school, and follow whatever religion you want. but disrespecting my ancestors and me, i'm joining the military, shouldn't be tolerated. if you're not decent enough to stand for the pledge, then don't immigrate here and use what my ancestors died for. you're giving them the right to be disrespectful by doing that, and the right to be disrespectful infringes on the rights of those whom they're disrespecting. why should i have to sit and watch some jamoke from guatemala immigrate here on my ancestors blood and sweat only to disrespect them in return? they can be "free" not to stand but the fact that they don't proves that they're unworthy disrespectful moochers and that is why i hate them.
Since you keep going on about your ancestors....what are some of the rights that they had to come here that present day immigrants dont? you keep talking about immigrants not respecting america and its citizens, but the Europeans apparently didn't have very much respect for the people who were already here when they got here. should present day native americans respect what your ancestors fought for?

Basically, your ancestors came to this country because for whatever reason, they were not content with living where they were. Why is it that it is ok for one group of people to to immigrate to a different country to escape religious persecution, but not for a different group to do the same in order to escape civil wars, genocide, terrorism, etc?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
where the hell did you come up with that crap? the white students began to pick a fight with the mexicans? they didn't "pick a fight" with them but they should've picked a fight with the mexicans, the mexicans are breaking the oath they accepted, got called out for it, and now they're playing victim? screw that crap. i would've called them out too. Students told to remove American flags on Cinco de Mayo | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

if someone does have a confederate flag on display it should be below the american flag or to the left of the american flag. and i support what the csa stood for, state's rights.
Obviously you don't understand the oath when they are saying to support and defend the Constitution. The Constitution includes free speech (and action representing speech).

The rest of the oath only means they will not take up arms against the US.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Obviously you don't understand the oath when they are saying to support and defend the Constitution. The Constitution includes free speech (and action representing speech).

The rest of the oath only means they will not take up arms against the US.
no it doesn't. here's a piece:
"that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;"

waving the mexican flag while smacking the american flag, spitting on it, stomping on it, burning it, flying it to the right, or flying it above the american flag is putting your allegiance to your former country above the u.s. and against oath.

if you don't like what my ancestors created, then leave. that goes for you too chitown. i see you're of southern and eastern euro descent, which is a non ethnic american. you're 100% offspring of immigrants to my country. ethnic americans are those of descent of the creators of this country and its constitution. if you don't like it, go back to europe. i'll stay in the country my ancestors created because by defending those mexicans you obviously have no respect for the constitution or the oath of citizenship which also means you have no respect for my ancestors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnz-5nSkMXM

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 11-28-2010 at 03:46 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 04:37 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
First, let me say as I've said in the past, that this is an incredibly reckless and irresponsible way to characterize municipalities. This ranking throws a huge blanket over entire cities and that is in very poor taste. I believe the company that does this seeks to be as sensationalistic as possible and deliberately ignores to the damage they know this horrible ranking does to the image of these cities.

Another thing that irks me about this ranking is that it presents data from the previous year as the ranking for the current year-and that is wrong. If this is data from 2009, then it should be presented as a ranking of 2009.

Example: Richmond, California has had a 50% drop in homicides in 2010 and crime is down across the board this year, but if you take this 2010 ranking at face value, you'd assume the city was in the midst of a crime epidemic having jumped 7 spots from the previous year-but the reality is crime is signifantly lower in Richmond this year(year-to-date).

So let's take this with a grain of salt folks, because these cities should not be defined by CQ Press, but by the opinions and experiences of the people who live there.

25 Most Dangerous Cities, 2010(Data is actually 2009)
Rank/ City, State/ Change in ranking from previous year
1 St Louis, MO +1
2 Camden, NJ -1
3 Detroit, MI +1
4 Flint, MI +1
5 Oakland, CA -2
6 Richmond, CA +7
7 Cleveland, OH +1
8 Compton, CA +4
9 Gary, IN +2
10 Birmingham, AL -3
11 Baltimore, MD +2
12 Memphis, TN -2
13 New Orleans, LA -7
14 Jackson, MS -5
15 Little Rock, AR +8
16 Baton Rouge, LA +9
17 Buffalo, NY(Not in Top 25 last year)
18 New Haven, CT( Not in Top 25 last year)
19 Hartford, CT +4
20 Dayton, OH Unchanged
21 Kansas City, MO -6
22 Washington, DC -6
23 Newark, NJ (Not in Top 25 last year)
24 Cincinnati, OH -5
25 Atlanta, GA -7

Most Dangerous Cities 2010 - WalletPop

Cities that Fell out of Top 25
Philadelphia, PA
North Charleston, SC
Orlando, FL

2009 Rankings(Based on data from 2008)
1 Camden, NJ
2 St Louis, MO
3 Oakland, CA
4 Detroit, MI
5 Flint, MI
6 New Orleans, LA
7 Birmingham, AL
8 Cleveland, OH
9 Jackson, MS
10 Memphis, TN
11 Gary, IN
12 Compton, CA
13 Baltimore, MD
14 Richmond, CA
15 Kansas City, MO
16 Washington, DC
17 Orlando, FL
18 Atlanta, GA
19 Cincinnati, OH
20 Dayton, OH
21 Philadelphia, PA
22 North Charleston, SC
23 Little Rock, AR
24 Hartford, CT
25 Baton Rouge, LA

The usual suspects.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
no it doesn't. here's a piece:
"that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;"

waving the mexican flag while smacking the american flag, spitting on it, stomping on it, burning it, flying it to the right, or flying it above the american flag is putting your allegiance to your former country above the u.s. and against oath.

if you don't like what my ancestors created, then leave. that goes for you too chitown. i see you're of southern and eastern euro descent, which is a non ethnic american. you're 100% offspring of immigrants to my country. ethnic americans are those of descent of the creators of this country and its constitution. if you don't like it, go back to europe. i'll stay in the country my ancestors created because by defending those mexicans you obviously have no respect for the constitution or the oath of citizenship which also means you have no respect for my ancestors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnz-5nSkMXM
I was born here. I can leave anytime I want, or I can stay and express my views, which the American Constitution provides me the right to do.

You are no more "ethnic American" than me. Your ancestors came here off the boat from Europe as well. Maybe before mine, but still the same. The only "ethnic Americans" are Native Americans.

Due to your age, you don't understand what the Constitution means. You don't understand how the country founded in 1776 is far different from the country today, yet the Constitution still applies.

If you don't like the country that your ancestors created, then you can leave. Your ancestors created this country, they have been in power since 1776. Every President but 2 have been Scotch Irish or English descent, of Protestant faith. Every Speaker of the US House but 2 have been the same.

Your ancestors allowed the rest of us to move here. You don't like what the country has become. By your logic, you should leave.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
new haven CT wow
not from the area i take it

new haven's been as bad as bridgeport and hartford ever since i grew up. now that its on a list...

Old 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I was born here. I can leave anytime I want, or I can stay and express my views, which the American Constitution provides me the right to do.
you can be born here all you want. i could've been born in italy, that doesn't make me an ethnic italian. just like being born in america doesn't make you an ethnic american. i'm of english, northern irish, scottish, and german decent. so other than my german ancestry, all my ancestors were here since the revolutionary war and had ancestors who fought each other in the civil war.

Quote:
You are no more "ethnic American" than me. Your ancestors came here off the boat from Europe as well. Maybe before mine, but still the same. The only "ethnic Americans" are Native Americans.
native americans aren't even native to america and america wasn't a country when they were here so how does that make them ethnic americans? do you know what the definition ethnic is? Ethnic group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Due to your age, you don't understand what the Constitution means. You don't understand how the country founded in 1776 is far different from the country today, yet the Constitution still applies.
really? i didn't know it was 2010, i thought it was still 1776. i understand what the constitution says just fine, after all, my ancestors have been speaking english for centuries so i don't think my reading comprehension is the problem here.

Quote:
If you don't like the country that your ancestors created, then you can leave. Your ancestors created this country, they have been in power since 1776. Every President but 2 have been Scotch Irish or English descent, of Protestant faith. Every Speaker of the US House but 2 have been the same.
i love the country my ancestors created, however that doesn't mean i support every single president based on their ancestry being from the british isles.

Quote:
Your ancestors allowed the rest of us to move here. You don't like what the country has become. By your logic, you should leave.
allowing your ancestors to move here wasn't a mistake. i support people being allowed to immigrate back then. now i don't really support it because of the economic problems and population we already have. but the problem is that these immigrants and their offspring have no respect in their heart for the people who created the country they immigrated to.
this whole thing boils down to respect. i believe in freedom but if you can't stand up for 10 seconds for the pledge then you don't deserve the freedom. you might as well spit on my ancestors graves. it's that crap that shouldn't be tolerated regardless of whether this is a "free country." it's a free country thanks to those who fought for it, and people can't even stand for 10 seconds and respect that? who are they dying for, a bunch of ungrateful aholes? maybe they should just stop dying for this country, let it get taken over, and all you ungrateful bums will be bowing down to kim jong un soon. i'm joining the military, and if this korea crap worsens, you think i want to go and risk my life for a bunch of people who don't even respect me? it's like all you people can do is take what they die for, yet you can't give even 10 seconds of your time and simply stand the hell up. it's friggin pathetic. and what's worse is that bullcrap gets taken to court. you'd rather take years off your life and dollars out of your bank to go to court against standing for the pledge than stand for 10 seconds for the pledge?

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 11-28-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City