Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM

492 posts, read 1,021,308 times

Advertisements

I have sisters who I, and many others, consider to be fashionable. And they dont just wear namebrand or high end clothing. They will shop anywhere and wear anything they consider to be "cute". No matter if its from Walmart, Target, Gucci Store, Coach Store, etc.

Most fashionable people are bargain shoppers and arent necessarily namebrand conscious. Most fashionable people I know arent rich. Most rich people I know who wear nothing but namebrands, arent fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 PM

301 posts, read 637,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
The top fashion capitals of 2010 were released earlier this year. It had pushed New York to the top, Milan down to 6th. Hong Kong is now 2nd.

What do you think about this ranking? Is it accurate? And do you think it'll change in the future? And which city do you think is the true fashion capital of the world?

Check this out for more info: The Global Language Monitor » Blog Archive » New York Regains Fashion Capital Crown from Milan
Here are the rankings:
1. New York (+1) – Reclaims the top spot which it sees as its rightful place.
2. Hong Kong (+5) – The highest ranking ever for an Asian city.
3. London (+2) – The first time, the No. 2 ranking goes to anyone other than the Classic Four (New York, Paris, London and Milan).
4. Paris (-1) – No. 1 in our hearts by No. 4 in the eyes of the media.
5. Los Angeles (+1) – Film is playing an ever more important place in the world of fashion.
6. Milano (-5) – Milan Fashion Week was widely considered a disappointment.
I guess they did a special this year and added in attire for illegals and 3rd world immigrants since L.A's streets are flooded with those kinds of people. L.A is the fashion capital for the poor; NY is the fashion capital for the elites. Why else would L.A outrank Milan?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
...yea and Paris being a better city than Gary Indiana is also subjective.

Many things are technically subjective, but that's now how the world works dear.
Dear? .. LOL.

So why the snoody toody attitude if you know that many things are subjective... son?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:43 PM

179 posts, read 400,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
If you are brand conscious, then most likely youre materialistic and probably not fashionable.

Someone who is fashionable may not go buy a $700 dollar suit either.

But what Im getting at is fashion or being fashionable, has nothing to do with money or namebrands. Thats a materialistic viewpoint of things which Im noticing the fashion industry is built around.

Fashion could be a thrift store outfit that someone threw together and they look good in it. Knowing how to accessorize. Thats Fashion to me or being fashionable. Not necessarily what namebrand you have on. But like I said, its all subjective.
That is true. What I would say is, Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, Chanel etc. start trends.
The designers at these brand names and those that work at fashion magazines, like Vogue etc., determine what's in style.

And these cities (NY, Milan, Paris) are where many of the headquarters/employees of these brand names live/work.

What looks good in the eyes of people may be subjective. But we are always subconsciously affected by the media. Similarly, since the media elevates these brands (D&G, Prada etc.) over other brands (Old Navy etc.), people will assume that someone who is wearing Prada is more fashionable than someone who is wearing Old Navy (even if they put it together perfectly).
It's also the brand image. Prada says sophistication, class, elegance. Old Navy says bargain hunter.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM

151 posts, read 299,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
I have sisters who I, and many others, consider to be fashionable. And they dont just wear namebrand or high end clothing. They will shop anywhere and wear anything they consider to be "cute". No matter if its from Walmart, Target, Gucci Store, Coach Store, etc.

Most fashionable people are bargain shoppers. Most fashionable people I know arent rich. Most rich people I know who wear nothing but namebrands, arent fashionable.
They might be considered fashionable in whatever town you live in, but be honest with yourself -- if your sisters acquired a vast fortune tomorrow and were thrust into the national spotlight -- do you think their entire wardrobes would still revolve around Target or thrift store "fashion"? I highly doubt it, unless they'd want to be laughed at by the media.

(Un)fortunately, being perceived as "most fashionable" includes wearing the best and most fashionable labels. It's seen as the best and it gives people something to look up to.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
They might be considered fashionable in whatever town you live in, but be honest with yourself -- if your sisters acquired a vast fortune tomorrow and were thrust into the national spotlight -- do you think their entire wardrobes would still revolve around Target or thrift store "fashion"? I highly doubt it, unless they'd want to be laughed at by the media.

(Un)fortunately, being perceived as "most fashionable" includes wearing the best and most fashionable labels. It's seen as the best and it gives people something to look up to.
Whatever Town?.... youre killin me. Yes we live in little old Virginia, but im sure DC, NYC, Philly, Vegas and ATL arent considered towns, which are some of the places they have been noticed and complimented for their attire.

But Im sure it would stay the same. Because like I said theyre entire wardrobe does not revolve around namebrands or a particular store. They purchase expensive namebrand items even now, but it has to be "cute" and not just because.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM

442 posts, read 822,699 times
VA has a very valid point. Anybody who thinks buying whatever expensive name brands they can find makes them fashionable are just sheep. Fashion ideas are grass roots, and come from the creative middle and lower class from thrift shops and up before major designers get them. As far as street fashion goes the hipsters and hip hop heads on the street have more to do with what's hot in fashion then the wealthy and clothing names.

Last edited by sk8t; 11-23-2010 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 04:41 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,330,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
The top fashion capitals of 2010 were released earlier this year. It had pushed New York to the top, Milan down to 6th. Hong Kong is now 2nd.

What do you think about this ranking? Is it accurate? And do you think it'll change in the future? And which city do you think is the true fashion capital of the world?

Check this out for more info: The Global Language Monitor » Blog Archive » New York Regains Fashion Capital Crown from Milan
Here are the rankings:
1. New York (+1) – Reclaims the top spot which it sees as its rightful place.
2. Hong Kong (+5) – The highest ranking ever for an Asian city.
3. London (+2) – The first time, the No. 2 ranking goes to anyone other than the Classic Four (New York, Paris, London and Milan).
4. Paris (-1) – No. 1 in our hearts by No. 4 in the eyes of the media.
5. Los Angeles (+1) – Film is playing an ever more important place in the world of fashion.
6. Milano (-5) – Milan Fashion Week was widely considered a disappointment.
7. Sydney (+2) – Sydney and Melbourne are both energizing the fashion world from Oz.
8. Miami (+5) – strength in swimwear propels Miami into the Top Ten.
9. Barcelona (+5) – Once again, take the top spot in Iberia.
10. Madrid (+11) – Impressive leap into the Top Ten.
11. Melbourne (+14) – Sydney strides ahead; Melbourne even moreso.
12. Shanghai (+2) — Hong Kong and Shanghai both outpace Tokyo.
13. Sao Paulo (-5) – No. 1 in Latin America, again.
14. Tokyo (-2) – Maintaining a relatively strong message while slipping a bit.
15. Singapore (+5) – Strong fashion infrastructure helps it keep pace.
16. Las Vegas (-6) – Hard economic times make a dent in Vegas’ standing.
17. Amsterdam (NL) – Move on to the list for the first time.
18. Berlin (+1) – Hard work helps it main spot in the Top Twenty.
19. Rio de Janeiro (-1) – Strong Latin presence yet slips further behind Sao Paulo.
20. Moscow (+2) – Back in the Top Twenty where it belongs.
21. Dubai (-10) – Transformation of Burg Dubai into Burj Khalifa mirrors the local fashion industry’s trajectory for the year.
22. Rome (-18) – Steepest decline for the survey, ever.
23. Cape Town (NL) – Nice debut for a city known for its multicultural beauty
24. Buenos Aires (0) – Remains No. 3 in Latin America reflecting its glorious past.
25. Johannesburg (NL) – A big year for South Africa with two debuts in the Top Twenty-five.
26. Prague (+3) – Proud city further strengthens its fashion credentials.
27. Vienna (NL) – Strong debut for the capital of the old Hapsburg Empire.
28. Mumbai (-12) – Mumbai falls out of the Top Twenty, but Delhi falls further.
29. Mexico City (+1) – Tops in Central America, again.
30. New Delhi (-13) – Though strengthening its fashion infrastructure, falls further behind Mumbai
31. Santiago (-8) – Making fashion strides while slipping a bit.
32. Bali (NL) – Solid debut for the Indonesian Archipelago.
33. Stockholm (-7) – Once more, tops in Scandinavia.
34. Copenhagen (NL) – Debuts right behind Stockholm.
35. Bangkok (-8) – Falling further behind in the fashion race.
36. Warsaw (NL) – Moves into the top tier in 2010.
37. Chicago (NL) – The Second City makes the list for the first time.
38. Toronto (NL) – Toronto edges Montreal for the top Canadian entry.
39. Krakow (-11) – Maintains a rather unique and creative niche in the industry.
40. (Tie) Dallas (NL) – There are more than cowboys in this emerging regional capital.
40. (Tie) Atlanta (NL) – More than CNN is making an international impact from Hot ‘Lanta.
mike&ike are you reading this?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:41 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,597,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Dallas all the way down at 40??? and Tied with Atlanta??? that is impossible. CD posters say it is up there with Paris and Milan. top 5 at least. something must be wrong
Sounds like someone's mad that Houston didn't make the list. As far as cd posters saying it's up there with Paris, Milan, NYC, London, etc. I've never noticed that myself and I'd be the first to laugh and tell them to come back to reality. The only thing I have noticed when people have to defend Dallas when others say fashion wise it's on the level of Odessa. So please stop with your hyperbalization, just makes you look bitter

Old 11-23-2010, 04:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Sounds like someone's mad that Houston didn't make the list. As far as cd posters saying it's up there with Paris, Milan, NYC, London, etc. I've never noticed that myself and I'd be the first to laugh and tell them to come back to reality. The only thing I have noticed when people have to defend Dallas when others say fashion wise it's on the level of Odessa. So please stop with your hyperbalization, just makes you look bitter
Actually ladarron would make threads after threads on a daily basis about Dallas's superb shopping & fashion scene. I think Htown was talking about him.

Honestly yes, ladarron has even stated himself that the place was a fashion capital in the sense of Los Angeles & Miami. You can go look at some of the threads he's created and he's created a lot like that, and I do mean a lot. You can read what he's had to say before about its shopping scene & fashion scene. So for you to have not noticed, you must be new. In fact almost all of ladarron's threads were either about shopping, fashion, or skyscrapers. I'm not here to cut Dallas down, its a good modal for fashion in the United States, but I will defend HtownLove here because it has been done, countless times. I think other Dallas posters like justme02, yourself, Sandstorm, etc create a good balance to posters like Nifty & ladarron that do exaggerate the basics. And that is very respectful of you guys to be balanced and level headed.

For the record though, that was just ONE person from Dallas, so it doesn't speak for anymore than just that person and most certainly doesn't speak for all of Dallas. But still though, it has been done before in the past, just like any other city bragging abruptly about what it has and putting it on a level higher than it really is, Dallas isn't alone in that. But to your point of not noticing it, its been done, several times, especially when it comes to shopping & fashion.

Again though, what one persons actions and words doesn't speak for everyone in Dallas and how they view their city, nor does it mean Dallas is something its not. I don't think any logical Dallasite would claim Dallas to be on the level of Milan or Paris or something. At least, I hope not (and I'm sure they wont).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City