Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one gets hated on the most?
Wall Street & Finance (New York City) 24 58.54%
Federal Government (Washington DC) 22 53.66%
Oil & Gas (Houston) 17 41.46%
Film Industry & Hollywood (Los Angeles) 6 14.63%
Automobile Industry (Detroit) 5 12.20%
Mercantile Exchange (Chicago) 0 0%
Education (Boston) 0 0%
Pharmaceuticals (Philadelphia) 1 2.44%
Transportation (Chicago) 0 0%
Biomedical Sciences (Boston) 0 0%
Condo Development & Resort Housing (Miami) 3 7.32%
Tech & Software (Bay Area) 2 4.88%
Other Option 2 4.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Some cities never seem to catch a break. You'll often here some of the most pronounced bashing for any given city, at times it may come from just the industry the city has.

Have you ever heard this before, "Those crooks on Wall Street, laundering money and stealing from Tax Paying Americans"?
- I know I have (New York City)

Have you ever heard this before, "Those corrupt lobbyists in Washington, stealing money from Americans and taxing us for no good"?
- I know I have (Washington DC)

Have you ever heard this before, "Those big Oil Companies, inflating the worth of oil again, making it unaffordable to drive"?
- I know I have (Houston)

Have you ever heard this before, "Those fake plastic Hollywood idiots, giving us American people such bad names"?
- I know I have (Los Angeles)

Have you ever heard this before, "Those GM idiots completely ruined America's economy, due to them everything has been moving to China!"?
- I know I have (Detroit)

There are also other Flagship industries that I didn't give examples for because I honestly haven't heard much criticism on them, but they include Transportation (Chicago's), Pharmaceuticals (Philadelphia's), Biomedical Research (Boston's), Education (Boston's), Mass Supply Exchange (Chicago's), Condo Developments & Resort Housing (Miami's), Technology & Software (Bay Area), or other option?

You can give any example, but which of these industries gets the most hated on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 AM

Agh how embarrassing, I seemed to have misspelled the word hear in my opening sentence and instead spelled out "here".

And I don't want to edit it! I hate that nasty looking "Last Edited by (Insert my name here) at (Insert time here). And I hate double posting!!
Ahhh why does life have to be so critical!?!?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:02 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Agh how embarrassing, I seemed to have misspelled the word hear in my opening sentence and instead spelled out "here".

And I don't want to edit it! I hate that nasty looking "Last Edited by (Insert my name here) at (Insert time here). And I hate double posting!!
Ahhh why does life have to be so critical!?!?
LOL......go easy on yourself......I've made similar errors....like I did a thread on which states to "LOSE"...but spelled it "LOOSE"....nobody noticed until it was very long......the poster who pointed it out got a prize.....IF you ask the Mods.....they MAY fix it for you.....they rectified my mistake for me.

Which 2 States Should The U.S. Lose; If You Were Asked To Choose?

Years ago I would have said STEEL and Pittsburgh but that no longer applies to the "Steel City"..... .

Old 11-24-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
LOL......go easy on yourself......I've made similar errors....like I did a thread on which states to "LOSE"...but spelled it "LOOSE"....nobody noticed until it was very long......the poster who pointed it out got a prize.....IF you ask the Mods.....they MAY fix it for you.....they rectified my mistake for me.

Which 2 States Should The U.S. Lose; If You Were Asked To Choose?

Years ago I would have said STEEL and Pittsburgh but that no longer applies to the "Steel City"..... .
Nah they cant fix it without it saying they edited my post. It's such a nuisance because I try to keep everything gridded and nicely organized. I do have a OCD type of thing where crooked things, or even open doors in the hallway, or things that are not straight like picture frames on the wall tend to bother me to no end.

Yeah Pittsburgh in general has just completely reinvented itself from top to bottom. Very nice city. It's actually 2nd on my list to visit after Seattle, I cant wait to see it. It sounds astonishingly beautiful!

I picked Wall Street, Oil & Gas, Federal Government, Film Industry, Automobiles, & Resort Housing.

Florida gets a pretty bum wrap over the housing crisis in the state, which was mainly due to mass expansion of resort & condo housing and building out of speculation. It was not a good thing at all, and it most certainly gets reported every time I go to Yahoo!'s home page there's an article about it.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:20 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Definitely Wall Street, The Government and Apple (Lol Tech)

Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Nah they cant fix it without it saying they edited my post. It's such a nuisance because I try to keep everything gridded and nicely organized. I do have a OCD type of thing where crooked things, or even open doors in the hallway, or things that are not straight like picture frames on the wall tend to bother me to no end.

Yeah Pittsburgh in general has just completely reinvented itself from top to bottom. Very nice city. It's actually 2nd on my list to visit after Seattle, I cant wait to see it. It sounds astonishingly beautiful!

I picked Wall Street, Oil & Gas, Federal Government, Film Industry, Automobiles, & Resort Housing.

Florida gets a pretty bum wrap over the housing crisis in the state, which was mainly due to mass expansion of resort & condo housing and building out of speculation. It was not a good thing at all, and it most certainly gets reported every time I go to Yahoo!'s home page there's an article about it.
The Mods can fix it without mentioning the edit....don't feel bad(you can edit and leave fields blank).....I made the error in the thread title.....LOL.....I hear ya....I'm OCD somewhat too.....I rearrange out of line plants in the outdoor garden.

Pittsburgh really is beautiful...the rolling hills and how each neighborhood seems distinct from others, yet they blend into a great city. Downtown is amazing....2 rivers joining to become one...the skyscrapers seem to float on the water and the myriad of bridges adds to the surrealism...plus as you enter the city through the tunnels(from Eastern PA) the skyline explodes from out of nowhere....and the views from Mount Washington etc.... are spectacular....you are at the same level as some of the buildings....really cool and very friendly people too.

Florida really is pretty bad now.....GREED took over with developers etc....in Sarasota it seems there are 5 houses for sale per block and IF folks thought they could sell.....there would be more on the market. Here we have all lost about 50% of our home's value since the peak of the boom....now gone bust....only Nevada has it worse than Florida..

Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Definitely Wall Street, Government, and Hollywood. Maybe oil also, but on a much lower, more subdued level.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:00 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
It really depends. Wall Street can be loved and hated from time to time, even Gov't

Oil cos are mostly hated or ignored, maybe the same with pharmaceuticals

The strongest reactions overall to me though seem to be with the Gov't and Wall Street - but can't blame the cities in total

Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Wall Street, Govt and Auto.

Especially when they appear to be working together to take advantage of taxpayers-I.E. Bailouts.

I think we should have let those companies go bankrupt. If they are too big to fail, then they are too big to exist.

We saw how little govt cares about us when they gave banks hundreds of billions of dollars without requiring that they restructure all mortgage loans so people could keep their homes.

I also despise energy companies, but lately banks and wall street have taken up all my anger. LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 08:04 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
To me, it seems that when the location is synonymous with the industry, that city would/could be hated most:

Finance (Wall Street)
Gov't/Politics (Capital Hill)
Entertainment (Hollywood)
Technology (Silicon Valley)

Im not sure most people think of Houston, Chicago, Philly, Boston, etc with the other industries. They may be the leader in that field, but the avg american probably wouldn't identify the two together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City