Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Queen City of the plains or City of Angels?
SoCal (L.A.) 188 65.73%
Front Range (Denver) 98 34.27%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,931,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
It's really crazy how badly LA has done with marketing itself. It needs a goddamn agent and a pr agency stat.

The fact that LA still stands in for anything that people dislike about America is just astounding. About the only thing people don't think is that Angelenos are fat. Or do they? I always imagine people visualizing LA as this wasteland of people somehow less educated than Alabama, more cutthroat than Wall Street, more superficial than Vegas, and less cultured than Des Moines, with worse food than Arkansas, more crime than Gary, Indiana, less history than Phoenix and more sprawl than Atlanta.
I don't know if it is that people hate Los Angeles so much as the city falls short of expectations. It's the 2nd largest city in the country, and as such, people assume it's on the same level as New York City. If this is someone's assumption coming in, it's easy to see why Los Angeles is such a let down. IE downtown LA is no Manhattan. But it doesn't have to be either. Los Angeles is its own kind of city.

With this in mind, Los Angeles has a lot to offer, but spread across a geographic area so large that it's easy to get frustrated with it. That's probably why all the "hate".
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,826,049 times
this thread proves how anti LA citydata posters are.... Denver is nowhere near being in the same league as LA.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,063,358 times
Based on Population only!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,063,358 times
How about comparing crime rates, polution, school graduation rates, col, etc. Denver more than stacks up in everything but Population!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,931,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
this thread proves how anti LA citydata posters are.... Denver is nowhere near being in the same league as LA.
It depends on what you are trying to compare, really. Depending on the category, LA is nowhere near being in the same league as Denver. As for an overall comparison, it always comes down to the individual opinion of the person making the comparison.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:42 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,184,562 times
L.A. For me. Having the pacific ocean at my feet alone is enough for me. L.A. is such a great city imo and so far my 8 months of living here has been nothing but fun. It takes more than a couple of trips to really get what LA is all about.
As far as pollution, is LA really that smoggy? Back in the 80s I would believe it, but since I've been here I haven't seen hardly any smoggy days. Even on that record breaking day it was 113° the skies were blue and I could see all across Los Angeles.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,639,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Really? L.A. has some of the best ethnic food outside the home countries (i.e. Mexican, Thai, Sushi, Vietnamese, etc.), and the way you identify "food" for L.A. is "fast food chain restaurants"? (Which, by the way, even in fast food L.A. knocks the snot out of Denver with In'n'Out, Fatburger, the taco trucks, etc.)

Have you ever actually visited here?
I was born in San Gabriel. Although i do enjoy many of the food options in LA ,from my experience, there wasnt alot of food variety,other than fast food. But thats MY opinion. Theres a In'n'out burger in golden about to open, theres a fatburger right down the street from my house, but ive never heard of taco trucks. Does LA have (Dosens,Freddy's Frozen Custard, Tokyo Joe's or Black eye pea?)Im not saying LA's is bad ,I just prefer Denver better. The fact that Denver can even compete with LA is in some of these categories is astounding. I can see where you are coming from though. May be I should reword that Sentence.

Food:In my opinion Denver, But LA has a wide variety of food options.

Better?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,449,330 times
Easy choice for me: Denver

Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,184,562 times
How can someone be born in the LA area and can only say there are not many options, just fast food? The food and restaurant options in this city are endless.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,826,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It depends on what you are trying to compare, really. Depending on the category, LA is nowhere near being in the same league as Denver. As for an overall comparison, it always comes down to the individual opinion of the person making the comparison.
Skyline:LA by far
Downtown area:Acually I believe Denver to have a better downtown, but LA is unique in that it doesn't rely on its downtown much.
Shopping:LA has some of the best shopping in the country... not only when speaking of Rodeo dr and high end shopping but many also cheap shoppinig and many unique stores to find rare items
Entertainment:LA is the entertainment capital
Things to do:LA.. has world class beaches as well as some of the best skiing in the country.
Suburbs:LA has some of the most desirable suburbs to live in in the country... Beverly Hills, Brentwoot, Bel Aire, Malibu,Santa Monica, Palos Verdes, Burbank, Glendale ETC........ thats ust a few
Places to see: LA... the walk of fame, Disneyland (many amusement parks) queen mary, olvera street, venice, La Brea Tar pits and thats not even scratching the surface
Diversity:LA by a mile
Food:LA.. I am a chef and although LA isn't considered a great food city it does have some of the finest restaurants in the country.. owned by big time chefs such as Jose Andres...
Culture:I guess this can be a matter of opinion which culture you prefer... but LA is a world class multi cultural city and Denver is well Denver
Family Orientation:this varies from household to house hold.... each family is different and how can you judge which is better
Sceneryenver has beautiful mountain scenery.. but LA wins this one as well... LA also has a beautiful mountain back drop and some very beautiful beaches..
Worst Pollutionenver wins.. LA has much worse pollution
Airport:LAX... Denver airport is nice because its small and easy but it doesn't have to handle the traffic that LAX does

Some of these may be a matter of opinion goes, but the fact remains that LA is a world class city and economical power and Denver is a nice alternative for those that don't want to deal with the negatives of such a large and powerful city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City