Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. "Progressive" on City-Data seems to only mean LGBT rights and acceptance and prominent atheism, which I don't believe its limited to that. That is an aspect of progressivism but there are other meanings as well. A lot of cities are economically progressive but not as socially progressive as Austin or the Pacific Northwest.
One of the rare times when we sort of agree, bcrhis. LGBT relations probably wouldn't be a good measuring stick for the NC cities in terms of progressivism either as Nashville offers a little more protections to its LGBT citizens than either Charlotte and Raleigh. Atlanta and Nashville were also the only large cities in the Southeast outside of Florida to crack a 50 on the HRC's Municipal Equality Index. BTW, Austin has a 91 in this index well ahead of other TX cities.

Admittedly, I do not take such a list as gospel and I cannot see a 50 as being a good indicator of a city being uber gay-friendly when many of the usual "progressive" suspects have a score at or hovering somewhere close to 100. But suffice it to say that Raleigh and Charlotte are probably much closer to Nashville under that criteria than they are to some of the metros of the West and Northeast.

Last edited by ariesjow; 12-26-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
Not really sure, but I love both states.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM

405 posts, read 822,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Does anyone think it has to do with marketing?
Like in North Carolina there is:
The Metrolina: Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, North Carolina-SC - population 2,338,289
The Triangle: Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, North Carolina - population 1,690,557
The Piedmont Triad: Greensboro—Winston-Salem—High Point, North Carolina - population 1,603,101

Could Tennessee market any areas like that?

Well one thing that hurts the Memphis/West TN part of Tennessee is poor marketing, because the only thing Memphis does to market itself is promote stuff from the last century that's 50+ years old (Elvis, Blues, BBQ, etc). Blues and Elvis are not even relevant/current forms of music like they were 50 years ago. That's one reason why Nashville has shot so far ahead of Memphis these days with it's Country music scene (Country music is the best selling genre of music in America).

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM

405 posts, read 822,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Not very many people want to live in Memphis either, it's crime ridden and not very attractive. I have been there many times and I have yet to see anything that would make me want to live there. Eastern TN is a different story, although I would hate to see lots of people moving there and ruining it.

I would actually like to live in eastern NC around Jacksonville, but only because it's very similar to south Alabama where I have always lived.
Exactly...

Old 06-18-2014, 02:43 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
I've always said North Carolina has the least in common with Tennessee out of all the states that border NC (SC, VA, GA, TN). TN is Upper South, but it's the interior Upper South like Kentucky and Arkansas. North Carolina and Virginia are the coastal Upper South states. Geographically, TN is much more hilly than NC even though NC has higher mountains. Most of NC's population lives pretty far from the TN border, so there isn't a lot of interaction between the two states. I imagine it's the same case in TN, Knoxville isn't too far from the NC/TN border along with Asheville in NC, but that's really about it. For NC, there is more interaction with SC and VA. I think the major urban areas of TN are less transplant saturated than the major urban areas of NC, so I'd say this gives TN a slightly more southern vibe. It seems like TN has a bit more in common with Kentucky, while NC has a bit more in common with VA.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlovewithcarolina View Post
And Austin also isn't in Tennessee. I was obviously referring to Nashville and Memphis respectively.

FedEx and AutoZone operate many stores throughout Nashville hunny

Be more specific if you're going to try and make a rude statement.
You were dead wrong and corrected and still couldn't admit it....yep mindless booster.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:46 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
There seems to be more development along the East Coast in general. People from New Jersey in New York can easily reside in metros like Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham without being too far from home, taking advantage of the cheaper housing and warmer weather. The North Carolina/Tennessee relationship is the same as Virginia/Kentucky, you'll probably find more transplants on the East Coast. South Carolina is getting hit hard with many northeastern transplants at the moment, which isn't really the case further west in states like Alabama or Mississippi. Being located along the East Coast helps IMO.

The three major metros of NC (Charlotte, Piedmont Triad, Research Triangle) aren't very far apart, all located along I-85. This isn't the case in Tennessee. In NC, driving from Raleigh to Charlotte will take less than three houses. In TN, driving from Memphis to Knoxville will take more than five. Also, Memphis isn't as progressive as Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham which is probably a big reason why the two states aren't as similar. From what I've heard, Memphis lacks transplants and holds more of an "Old South" image akin to Birmingham, Jackson, Mobile, Montgomery, etc. Charlotte, the largest city in NC, is historically much more progressive and "New South" which is a reason why it continues to grow. While the Nashville metro is certainly "New South" along with Knoxville to a lesser extent, Memphis lagging behind is probably the biggest reason why TN isn't as populated or similar to NC these days.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:22 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Duke is no better than Vanderbilt.
My wife has her undergrad degree from Vanderbilt and her graduate degree from Duke. While it's true that Vanderbilt is up there in the rankings, Duke is higher ranked, has better name recognition, and carries a LOT more weight than Vanderbilt...

Last edited by NoClueWho; 03-11-2015 at 12:37 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 06:22 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
My wife has her undergrad degree from Vanderbilt and her graduate degree from Duke. While it's true that Vanderbilt is up there in the rankings, Duke is higher ranked, has better name recognition, and carries a LOT more weight than Vanderbilt...
Agreed. This is a fact with plenty of statistics to back it up.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 AM

413 posts, read 437,991 times
Yep NC seems to be the ideal state(one of anyway) where alot on the east coast coast mix and thrive its state that really seems to have a little bit of everything while retaining in certain areas its southern charm about it......I would put Virginia kind of in that category as well although to a bigger extent with NOVA having such a big influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City