Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i'm dead serious, though...

virginia's economy is being lead by NOVA which most people do not consider to be the south, so if they can be included, why not texas? whose economy is lead by houston and dallas: two cities that are undoubtedly southern (one much more than the other)

north carolina and georgia lead the southEAST, but what about the rest of the south? we don't count?....again?

yeah, this is your thread, but the inaccuracy just bothered me
If you read the OP, you'll see there is no inaccuracy. Other than Texas isn't in this thread. Which seems to bother only you. So why is it hard for you just to stay on topic? Would you pick NC,VA, or GA based on the criteria?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM

214 posts, read 427,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
who cares what new englanders think? lol. most REAL southerners do not consider NOVA the south, and it really isn't
You right it doenst matter what I or real southerners think, because the fact is that Northern Virgina is part of Virginia which a former slave state and is a southern state case closed and you should answer the question which would you chose out of these 3 southern states: NC, VA, or GA

Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM

214 posts, read 427,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
But I would have to chose NC, second VA, and definetly wouldnt even consider ole redneck Georga.

Yep, no rednecks in NC or VA or CT>>>>>Get real....Idiotic comment............
No but Scumbag I meant that NC and VA are def not as southern as Georgia which is the deep south which pretty much has nothing but Atlanta. And as for CT there is no rednecks in CT... I know because Im from there

Old 12-07-2010, 01:50 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
NoVA isn't the south.
yes it is. it just doesn't feel like it anymore because all the northerners moved here. but we have confederate cemeteries and everything whether or not it was 150 years ago. all of virginia is technically the south whether or not it feels like it.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
High tech by itself doesn't account for VA's GDP growth. The federal government played a pretty significant role in that.
who cares what played a role in what. hollywood played a role in making la what it is today. immigration played a role in what made new york what it is today. why do people have to pick at meaningles crap like what played a role in making nova what it is? we're growing great while a lot your cities can't even produce just 1 job. so whatever. hate all you want.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
who cares what played a role in what.
Ummm, that's the whole point of the discussion about the role of the federal government in VA's economy.

Quote:
hollywood played a role in making la what it is today. immigration played a role in what made new york what it is today. why do people have to pick at meaningles crap like what played a role in making nova what it is? we're growing great while a lot your cities can't even produce just 1 job. so whatever. hate all you want.
Dude, seriously, calm down. You're denying the role that the federal government has played in VA's GDP growth and you just can't do that. I'm not a "hater," as I actually want to live in the DC area someday (soon). But the facts are the facts.

And when you say "your cities" what are you talking about?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:03 PM

so why do people act like va's somehow lesser because of the govt? it's like va automatically sucks compared to everywhere else because the govt helped it grow a little when in fact the economy is pretty diverse anyway. and whether or not the govt played a role, i love that presence in va. i love it because we have quantico, the pentagon, the intelligence center, we're the home of the dea, cia, natl recon agency (builds u.s. govt spy satellites), u.s. marshals, u.s. marine corps, the list goes on. yet with all of that you hardly even realize it's there because there's so much else going on around here.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
so why do people act like va's somehow lesser because of the govt?
No one is acting like it's "lesser." Initially we were saying that VA has had positive GDP growth largely because of the substantial government presence in NoVA. That's just a fact.

Quote:
it's like va automatically sucks compared to everywhere else because the govt helped it grow a little when in fact the economy is pretty diverse anyway.
Overall I would say VA's economy is diverse, but probably not more than GA and NC. Of course there's the government presence in NoVA and the military in Hampton Roads, but Richmond holds its own with a handful of F500 headquarters.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
I'd much rather live in Virginia.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:48 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Most people dont consider Northern Virgina the south? LMAO. Wow tell that to my fellow New Englanders. NOVA is indeen the south since after all it feels like Raliegh Durham, its not NY, PA, NJ, or CT, below the mason dixon line, its part of Virginia which is a southern state and basically a carbon copy of North Carolina. But I would have to chose NC, second VA, and definetly wouldnt even consider ole redneck Georga. NC and VA are basically the same but I believe North Carolina has better job opportunties esp around Raleigh, more liberal politics, a huge amount of transplants from CT(my home state), better schools, and not a commonwealth state like VA.
You need to get out of New England more often, then.

NOVA most certainly is not Southern.* The non-Southerness of Washington DC affected nearby Arlington and Alexandria long ago, and in recent decades has spread through Fairfax County. Northern Virginians are in large part non-native, or if they are native, their parents moved here from somewhere else. They do not identify as Southerners.

And NOVA certainly isn't like NC, though downstate VA has similarities. And I grew up in NC and my ancestry and kin are in GA and TN, so I know something of the South.

But this is moot as pertains to the question. Which of the 3 listed Southern states come out on top - and Virginia certainly is a Southern state, and Northern Virginia is in Virginia. Makes no difference whether NOVA feels Southern or not.

As to the point of the original question - I voted for Virginia. Ask why NOVA has so much growth from outsiders - because of the job opportunities! People are flocking here. I probably know people from all 50 states living nearby, and plenty of foreign countries. The K-12 public school system is ranked in the top tiers of the entire country. People move here from other countries just to get their kids in the schools, not even for the jobs.

I know NOVA isn't the only economic engine in Virginia, but if if NOVA weren't such a success, I don't think the rest of the state could put Virginia in the running.

But those thinking that NOVA and Virginia's fortunes will contract due to federal government shrinking will most likely be proven wrong. Even during the Reagan years, NOVA grew and grew. Of course, he grew the military industrial complex while touting smaller government, but who seriously thinks this country is going to have major, debilitating cuts to the military?

* To clarify: not Southern in feeling, characteristics, or population. YES, it is in a Southern state, yes, it has plenty of Southern history. And the parts that are on the ever-expanding outer edges of NOVA (now pushing into Prince William and Loudoun Counties) do have Southern characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City