Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:22 PM

644 posts, read 1,426,382 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me why VA and NC having 3 "large" metros is better than GA having one?? I don't get it. Add those metros together from either state and Atlanta is still bigger. Combine them all together and slightly larger than Atl. I think Ga is in a better position in this regard. One dominating city that gets all the attention and creates a competitive statewide environment.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,670,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Can someone explain to me why VA and NC having 3 "large" metros is better than GA having one?? I don't get it. Add those metros together from either state and Atlanta is still bigger. Combine them all together and slightly larger than Atl. I think Ga is in a better position in this regard. One dominating city that gets all the attention and creates a competitive statewide environment.
"The questions: which state has more going for it ecomonically and culturally? Which state has more ecomonic development going for it and the potential to develop more? Where would you live in?"

Atlanta metro- 5,268,860
NC metros combined- 5,238,851
VA metros combined (D.C. included)- 6,864,605
VA metros combined (not including D.C.)- 3,213,084

NC & VA combined (including D.C.)- 12,103,456
NC & VA combined (not including D.C.)- 8,451,935

"slightly larger"

Look at it this way, if Atlanta, Charlote and D.C. were to all of a sudden began to struggle economically, what would Georgia do?

NC and VA would still have two other metros.

Atlanta does not get "all" of the attention.

GA relies on Atlanta.
NC relies mostly on Charlotte.
VA relies mostly on NoVa.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM

895 posts, read 2,088,595 times
Virginia numbers seem to be a bit low- Should be 5.5 million.
Nova w/out DC- 2.6 million (Fairfax County by itself has more than 1M)
Richmond- 1.28 million
Hampton Roads- 1.67 million

Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,636,373 times
Quote:
Can someone explain to me why VA and NC having 3 "large" metros is better than GA having one?? I don't get it.
The biggest reason is that it results in a much more cooperative statewide political environment that's friendly to urban policies. Large metropolitan areas can present a united front when it comes to getting issues that impact them more considered (e.g., mass transit funding). Secondly, you spread more of the wealth throughout the state so that more residents of the state can benefit. Thirdly, it's a simple matter of diversification. If one large metro takes a hit economically, the one or two other large ones can pick up the slack. Fourthly, when it comes to business relocations, companies have more than one option within a state which increases the chances of the state landing more jobs. For instance, a company that's considering Atlanta for relocation is highly unlikely to be looking at Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, Macon, etc. also since those metros don't have comparable workforces, infrastructure, or amenities. However, a company looking at relocating to Charlotte could also reasonably be looking at the Triangle as well, or perhaps the Triad. A defense contractor looking at NOVA might also be considering Hampton Roads.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,670,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Virginia numbers seem to be a bit low- Should be 5.5 million.
Nova w/out DC- 2.6 million (Fairfax County by itself has more than 1M)
Richmond- 1.28 million
Hampton Roads- 1.67 million
Northern Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"With 2.6 million residents (about a third of the state), it is the most populous region of Virginia and the Washington Metropolitan Area."

NoVa is apart of the D.C. metro.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,271,803 times
Quote:
Well, in all actuality there really is no advantage in having multiple metros or one large metro. Also, while Atlanta is the most dominating metro in GA, that still does not make it the most important. In examining state comparisons NC and VA ate big military states. Does Atlanta have a military base? NC and VA also have Ports. Does Atlanta have a sea port? However the state of GA had both of these things I mentioned. This is not to take away from Atlanta's dominance, but in making GA a truly competitive state you can't rule out the importance of the port of Savannah. Also the military towns of Augusta and Columbus can add as well. So while Atlanta is the single most dominant metro in GA, GA itself can be viewed as a polycentric state.

But to really respond to your question, one of the benefits in having several mid-sized metros instead of just one huge is stability. For example, in this recession as Atlanta suffered so did GA. In NC as Charlotte suffered, Raleigh-Durham still merit going. However, the advantage of having one dominant metro is that if it does good, the state does good. So it just depends.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Northern Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"With 2.6 million residents (about a third of the state), it is the most populous region of Virginia and the Washington Metropolitan Area."

NoVa is apart of the D.C. metro.
nova has 2.6 million Virginians... not DC residents... not Marylanders... Virginians. Wait... Sorry... don't want to mess up your fantasy world- nova isn't part of VA. It reminds me of a guy who says he'll fight you, but you first must tie one hand behind your back. This still isn't as entertaining as that silly thread you directed me to where people were arguing as to which state, NC or VA, had the best cities.

Now I don't know if your up for the challenge, but my MR students have done some statistical research on Greenville NC; What city or cities in VA would make for a good statistical comparion of it?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I just figured that you seem so keyed in on population trivia that you could help a few college students out with their statistics research. They are doing a Market Research project on comparable markets in Virginia and North Carolina. The city that they are using in NC is Greenville. Similar to a "Greenville vs..." thread but I don't want to get into that because bias comes into play. Any suggestions for comparisons?
There's no real counterpart for Greenville in VA. Greenville is a hub of eastern NC, a more depressed part of the state. A bright spot is ECU with its medical school. The closest comparison, at least demographically and geographically, might be one of the smaller Tidewater cities like Portsmouth, Suffolk, or Hampton, but their inclusion in the greater Hampton Roads metro precludes a true apples-to-apples comparison.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's no real counterpart for Greenville in VA. Greenville is a hub of eastern NC, a more depressed part of the state. A bright spot is ECU with its medical school. The closest comparison, at least demographically and geographically, might be one of the smaller Tidewater cities like Portsmouth, Suffolk, or Hampton, but their inclusion in the greater Hampton Roads metro precludes a true apples-to-apples comparison.
Thanks for the insight. Most of the conclusions result in comparisons between Roanoke, Lynchburg, or Charlottesville, each with some similarities- all have major medical facilities and pretty decent sized college populations (or close by, for Roanoke). While the eastern part of the state might be more depressed, several of the cities seem to be doing pretty well, with Greenville and Wilmington seeming to lead the pack.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Most of the conclusions result in comparisons between Roanoke, Lynchburg, or Charlottesville, each with some similarities- all have major medical facilities and pretty decent sized college populations (or close by, for Roanoke). While the eastern part of the state might be more depressed, several of the cities seem to be doing pretty well, with Greenville and Wilmington seeming to lead the pack.
Yeah I was thinking Roanoke and Lynchburg. They are around the same size, but they are pretty different demographically and geographically. Not sure how they compare in terms of GDP, per capita/household income, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City