U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:42 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes I have lived in virginia.In the Hampton area when stationed at Langley and I have family in NC.Durham to be exact.I have served several short tours in North Carolina as well.What else you wanna know?
Well being stationed somewhere temporarily isn't exactly like living there as a permanent resident, but I've not lived in Virginia so I'm not really making a strong case for it anyway. However, generally speaking, visiting a place and living there are two different things. When I used to live in the Carolinas and visit Atlanta, it was a completely different experience than currently living here.

Quote:
You just mad because people don't see Charlotte like you do.I can guarantee you I have lived more places by choice than you before I settled in Atlanta.So its not homerism.its just what i like.Get over it.
This isn't about Charlotte; it's about NC as a whole. There are people who like the Triangle who wouldn't dream of living in Charlotte, people who live in Asheville or Wilmington who much prefer those cities than the larger cities, those who find the midsized cities of Greensboro and Winston-Salem to be perfect fits, etc. And this isn't a contest about who's lived in the most places; I didn't serve in the military so of course you have me beat on that. It's about the places in question that you seem to have a strong opinion on.

Quote:
I even said I rather not live in Georgia or any of these states without Atlanta or Savannah.How is that homerism?Because I find Charlotte dull?Richmond dangerous?Why do I have to agree with you or anybody else?I gave my reasons.Except them or move on.
It's homerism because you're essentially saying that living in Georgia minus Atlanta and Savannah is the same as living in NC or VA with their largest/most interesting cities. That's a bit extreme.

What I find so very interesting about your thoughts on this matter is that people have regularly made this same argument about Atlanta based on one or even a few visits to select, touristy parts of the city (i.e., Pemberton Place) and then talk about how the city was a disappointment or whatever. Then us Atlantans inform them that Atlanta is really a city best experienced by living here, and the best experiences you get as a visitor is in the places where people live, i.e. the neighborhoods. This is essentially true for the NC and VA cities as well, but you're writing them off just like people write off Atlanta.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well being stationed somewhere temporarily isn't exactly like living there as a permanent resident, but I've not lived in Virginia so I'm not really making a strong case for it anyway. However, generally speaking, visiting a place and living there are two different things. When I used to live in the Carolinas and visit Atlanta, it was a completely different experience than currently living here.

This isn't about Charlotte; it's about NC as a whole. There are people who like the Triangle who wouldn't dream of living in Charlotte, people who live in Asheville or Wilmington who much prefer those cities than the larger cities, those who find the midsized cities of Greensboro and Winston-Salem to be perfect fits, etc. And this isn't a contest about who's lived in the most places; I didn't serve in the military so of course you have me beat on that. It's about the places in question that you seem to have a strong opinion on.

It's homerism because you're essentially saying that living in Georgia minus Atlanta and Savannah is the same as living in NC or VA with their largest/most interesting cities. That's a bit extreme.

What I find so very interesting about your thoughts on this matter is that people have regularly made this same argument about Atlanta based on one or even a few visits to select, touristy parts of the city (i.e., Pemberton Place) and then talk about how the city was a disappointment or whatever. Then us Atlantans inform them that Atlanta is really a city best experienced by living here, and the best experiences you get as a visitor is in the places where people live, i.e. the neighborhoods. This is essentially true for the NC and VA cities as well, but you're writing them off just like people write off Atlanta.
Quote:
For me Charlotte,Raleigh or Ricmond offers not enough for me to want to settle if I could find another larger city thatb fits my needs.Like I said,I'd prefer Nashville over Charlotte.mainly because of it nightlife.ALTHOUGH if my career was an isssue,I would be in Charlotte depending on what field.

Well I will say that every place I have gone,I have tried to learn something about it.I have never really been disapointed anywhere because I kinda knew before I went to many places what to expect.

For someone who has never been to Atlanta and says that there is nothing there that warrants interst would go against every statistics of tourism numbers on Atlanta.Defies logic.I never said there was nothing in those states,just not FOR me to write home about.

Well..Maybe Williamsburg.I've never been.That has always interest me but I doubt I would ever go out of my way to go there.

Ive been all over GA.I would NOT want to live here if there was no Atlanta or Savannah.Im from Georgia and from neither of those cities.So is'nt that writing Georgia off also?Not Homerism.

I'm not writing off those states.As I know there is plenty to see and do.Its just nothing more special than any other state.That is how I should have worded it.

Of course there are special things about each state but that does not translate to an overwhelming appeal unless you are talking California ,Hawaii,New York City,San Francisco etc...

I moved to Jersey for a while because i figured I needed something totally different from the South.It Was not for me.Then i moved to NYC.Nope.Then i lived in Philly.Nope.Denver was cool but just too far and I hate snow.
Came close to moving to Montreal,Canada after several trips.Dodged that bullet thank god.Still love it though.

Nature for me is secondary to built environments.I prefer cities that are cosmopolitan and diverse.They don't have to be huge just alive with activity(urbanity) and growth.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
For me Charlotte,Raleigh or Ricmond offers not enough for me to want to settle if I could find another larger city thatb fits my needs.Like I said,I'd prefer Nashville over Charlotte.mainly because of it nightlife.ALTHOUGH if my career was an isssue,I would be in Charlotte depending on what field.

Well I will say that every place I have gone,I have tried to learn something about it.I have never really been disapointed anywhere because I kinda knew before I went to many places what to expect.

For someone who has never been to Atlanta and says that there is nothing there that warrants interst would go against every statistics of tourism numbers on Atlanta.Defies logic.I never said there was nothing in those states,just not FOR me to write home about.

Well..Maybe Williamsburg.I've never been.That has always interest me but I doubt I would ever go out of my way to go there.

Ive been all over GA.I would NOT want to live here if there was no Atlanta or Savannah.Im from Georgia and from neither of those cities.So is'nt that writing Georgia off also?Not Homerism.

I'm not writing off those states.As I know there is plenty to see and do.Its just nothing more special than any other state.That is how I should have worded it.

Of course there are special things about each state but that does not translate to an overwhelming appeal unless you are talking California ,Hawaii,New York City,San Francisco etc...

I moved to Jersey for a while because i figured I needed something totally different from the South.It Was not for me.Then i moved to NYC.Nope.Then i lived in Philly.Nope.Denver was cool but just too far and I hate snow.
Came close to moving to Montreal,Canada after several trips.Dodged that bullet thank god.Still love it though.

Nature for me is secondary to built environments.I prefer cities that are cosmopolitan and diverse.They don't have to be huge just alive with activity(urbanity) and growth.
I understand NC or VA not being among your top choices for relocation; I completely get that. However, you said that living in Georgia minus Atlanta and Savannah is the same as living in NC and VA and that it would be boring. That's just quite extreme to me.

I know we're not exactly alike, but from what I know of you, we look for some of the same things in cities and whatnot. I know that a move from Atlanta to Charlotte, the Triangle, Richmond, or NOVA would take some getting used to since you would be in a smaller city, but with the right social circle in place (and this is important in general, even in a city that offers a lot like Atlanta), you wouldn't be bored living there--unless you wanted to be. Of course you'd miss some of what Atlanta offers, but you'd have plenty of options to keep you occupied. One of the pluses to living in Charlotte in particular is not just having what the city itself offers, but being located centrally to all that both Carolinas offer--including quicker access to the coast and to a wider variety of coastal locations (Wilmington area beaches, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Beaufort/Hilton Head, Savannah). You can even get to Savannah just as quickly from Charlotte as from Atlanta

Old 12-11-2013, 12:41 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I understand NC or VA not being among your top choices for relocation; I completely get that. However, you said that living in Georgia minus Atlanta and Savannah is the same as living in NC and VA and that it would be boring. That's just quite extreme to me.

I know we're not exactly alike, but from what I know of you, we look for some of the same things in cities and whatnot. I know that a move from Atlanta to Charlotte, the Triangle, Richmond, or NOVA would take some getting used to since you would be in a smaller city, but with the right social circle in place (and this is important in general, even in a city that offers a lot like Atlanta), you wouldn't be bored living there--unless you wanted to be. Of course you'd miss some of what Atlanta offers, but you'd have plenty of options to keep you occupied. One of the pluses to living in Charlotte in particular is not just having what the city itself offers, but being located centrally to all that both Carolinas offer--including quicker access to the coast and to a wider variety of coastal locations (Wilmington area beaches, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Beaufort/Hilton Head, Savannah). You can even get to Savannah just as quickly from Charlotte as from Atlanta
For me to move to another city,it mucts have at least 2 things:
1.)A subway or comprehensive streetcar system.
2.)No Snowing.Or at least rarely.
3)Easy connectivity.Airports

Although I prefer things like diversity, and multiculturalism,I can live without it if people are just decent.
Charlotte no doubt would deliver that and more but as long as I have been going back and forth with NC posters on here about what Charlotte has versus anyhwere else,I have yet to be convinced that I would never ever want to live there.

Im saying this because as much as I love Atlanta,its falls short in some categories I wish it did not.
None the less ,it is still closer than anything else I have found as my ideal.This is after constantly lookingfor years and still looking.How could Charlotte fit the bill of Atlanta just makes the grade?

I guess this is why I relish every posting of any positive new development.Atlanta is always changing and getting better.Yes,sure many cities are but it seems Atlanta does it bigger than anybody.I.E. Atlantic Station,The BeltLine,etc...

The BeltLine is a good example why Atlanta is Atlanta and Charlotte is Charlotte.
Charlotte is focusing on growth but all it is more of the same that happens in most sunbelt cities.

Until you use something like the BeltLine ,experience events like I did during the Olympics,work private security during the 2000 Superbowl ,experience the Divali Festival at the largest BAPS Temple outside of India which is absolutely breath taking,hear about Tomorrowworld from friends (even though I had no tickets,the opportunity to go is there),hop on a MARTA train going from my house downtown to Lenox Mall,Perimeter, L5P or to the airport and many more things are just reasons why no matter how much Charlotte may have,it justfalls WAY short that I just would never choose it.

Of course if I had to be anywhere I would make the best of it.I would hardly be miserable.Im good at finding what suits me where ever I am.So maybe boring is extreme as I did not mean "constant" boredom but enough that not enough distractions would be enough to placate my taste.

That may be extreme to you but thats just my opinion.Charlotte or any other place in NC or VA are not bad,I just would not pick them out of many other places.Georgia without Atlanta and Savannah dito.

Nova also is just too conjested for my taste.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM

11,881 posts, read 32,920,559 times
This thread has turned into yet another inane Atlanta vs. Charlotte debate, of which there are already plenty. Thread closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City