Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 AM

133 posts, read 412,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No you don't, because if you did, you wouldn't say something as unfounded as "I think the commonwealth is the only southern state that have a very good economy, education, and etc." NC and GA in particular also have relatively good economies, education, etc. TN isn't too far off

Education: Do you know Virginia schools ranks 4th best in the country?
Education in Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Economy: So what's the unemployment rate in the state of Georgia? I bet it's higher than North Carolina & Virginia.

Now how about you tell everyone on here about every southern state Mr. Know it all. LOL @ you telling someone they don't know there own state and clearly I been here all my life.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM

528 posts, read 1,184,619 times
haha i see that my statement earlier, "NoVA isn't the south" received a little bit of a raised eyebrow. And I didn't claim that the north is "better" in any way. I just don't see how NoVA (and the DC area) is related to the southern areas like Charlotte or Atlanta moreso than it's related to Philly and NYC.

State lines aside (which are arbitrary), NoVA belongs to metro DC. DC, while arguably in the "south" based upon 1800's obsolete civil war lines, is a true northern city - culturally, politically (not talking about the seat of govt, but the leaning of the city and its people), industrially, economically, and in infrastructure/commute patterns.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 AM

I also don't see how Atlanta can really sustain itself. I don't think it can become a true leader of the south. Its economy is weak.

Brookings: ATL hammered by Great Recession | Atlanta Business Chronicle
(thanks to a fellow poster)

Pre-recession, Atlanta experienced a population boom with the likes of cities such as Vegas and Phoenix. But these new cities, if not diversified and robust, fall fast when hard times hit.

The city recession profiles:
Atlanta
Charlotte
DC

Of these 3 cities, DC has survived the best by far. But since I already made the argument that DC isn't southern, I think Charlotte...or probably Raleigh/RTP will become the leader of the south (given my 3 state choices. if Texas or FL were in this list, I might choose another city)

Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I also don't see how Atlanta can really sustain itself. I don't think it can become a true leader of the south. Its economy is weak.

Pre-recession, Atlanta experienced a population boom with the likes of cities such as Vegas and Phoenix. But these new cities, if not diversified and robust, fall fast when hard times hit.

Atlanta
Charlotte
DC

Of these 3 cities, DC has survived the best by far. But since I already made the argument that DC isn't southern, I think Charlotte...or probably Raleigh/RTP will become the leader of the south (given my 3 state choices. if Texas or FL were in this list, I might choose another city)

Atlanta was hit hard by the recession and there's no doubt. I don't see how you can say Charlotte or Raleigh will be the lead cities in the south, it would take years for that happen if it happens. Atlanta's central location and the fact that it's population nears 6 million people will take more than a recession to knock it off the charts. The population is still going up not down and im sure the city will bounce back although it will take some time.

As for VA being the lead state in the south, you wish! Out of the three states mentioned I would put Georgia first, then NC, the VA but if you include the south as a whole it goes

Texas, Florida, Georgia, NC, VA, and TN.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
I don't have to start a tread on this topic i see you already did. Lol but thanks for the rep comments and next time dont be a coward and leave comments without identifying who you are.. Far as the recession goes. ... Trouble don't last always.. Our economy is too diversified to go down the toilet. Plus Im not affected by it as i work in a recession proof industry

Quote:

Atlanta
Charlotte
DC

Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM

wait i don't get it?
I didn't leave comments without identifying myself...that's what the "other poster" did to me

Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I don't have to start a tread on this topic i see you already did. Lol but thanks for the rep comments and next time dont be a coward and leave comments without identifying who you are.. Far as the recession goes. ... Trouble don't last always.. Our economy is too diversified to go down the toilet. Plus Im not affected by it as i work in a recession proof industry
LMAO, so he is the one going around leaving this rep post for all of us, but afraid to reveal his skunk stripe?
Quote:
have you seen this link about how bad the atl economy is? you should start a thread: Brookings: ATL hammered by Great Recession | Atlanta Business Chronicle
Sorry, but no matter how hard any of you try, Atlanta is and will continue to be a desirable place to live. If it bothers you that much, just log off. I have been working for the same corporation almost 12 years, probably when some of you were still in grade school, and I am here by choice. Thanks for the points sweet pea.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:

Atlanta
Charlotte
DC

Several things need to be pointed out here. Atlanta already IS the leader of the Southeast - this is nothing new. And just so you know, the population boom has been ongoing since the end of WWII, again nothing new here.

This happens to be one of the most diversified economies in the U.S., much, much more so than Phoenix, and particularly Las Vegas.

This is a global metro, while Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham simply are not. When a place becomes this size, as was already mentioned, it takes a lot more than a bad recession to knock it down. You happen to live in an area that is artificially propped up economically, in the opinion of many. When the government is forced to cut spending (and it's coming), just how long do you think the boom times in the DMV will go on unabated? I foresee the same thing happening to your hyper-inflated real estate as has been experienced elsewhere. I wouldn't be so smug if I were you.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:47 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Yes, Virginia is in the south, but,......North Carolina has the better educational infrastructure, ergo, a better position to lead.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
wait i don't get it?
I didn't leave comments without identifying myself...that's what the "other poster" did to me

Dont try it you just told on yourself. when you posted that link in this thread. No one else has that link but you. Its okay that you wanna see Atlanta Fail but sorry to spoil your day buts it still growing and will continue. Alot of people on here would be so happy to see Atlanta go down the toilet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City